Home My YFS

Tenacious Tynecastle Triumph

Tynecastle FC 1

Purves 42'

Fauldhouse United 0

  • Sunday, 20 March 2016
  • Saughton Park
  • Under 16´s
  • SPORTSassist South East Region Cup
Jack Whitlam

Jack Whitlam | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Tynecastle FC met Fauldhouse United in the SPORTSassist South East Region Cup semi-final. The two teams are doing well in Division One of the SERYFA u16s league. Fauldhouse top the division, having been unbeaten so far this season whilst Tynecastle lie in 4th place with games in hand over the teams above them. Both teams are also still in all the local cup competitions and may potentially meet again later in the season. Fauldhouse also have an eye on the Scottish Cup as they face Rossvale FC in the semi-final on the 3rd April. Today’s focus, however, was to book their place in the final  of the South East Region Cup against Hutchinson Vale FC.

The game started at a ferocious tempo as Tynecastle and Fauldhouse battled to assert their dominance early on. Both teams, had early half chances with Fauldhouse winning a corner within the first minute and Tynecastle winning a free-kick in a good position two minutes later. Both set pieces came to nothing but it was clear that the teams had an attacking intent from the off.

On 8 minutes, there was an opportunity which summed up the first ten. The ball was passed back to the Fauldhouse keeper and it was chased down by tenacious winger, Martin Maughan. The keeper, taking too long with the ball at his feet, had to hurriedly clear the ball as Maughan sprinted forward. Jumping up, Maughan got his body in front of the ball and it deflected back towards goal. Fortunately, for Fauldhouse keeper, Matthew Craig, the ball went wide. This encapsulated the first 10 minutes as it demonstrated desire, speed and mistakes. Both teams clearly had the desire to get off to a good start hence the game starting at such a quick pace. However, mistakes were made and fouls were conceded, breaking up individual phases of play.

The next 15 minutes saw Tynecastle begin to dominate. On 12 minutes, pressure from Tynecastle forced two corners which Fauldhouse failed to clear. From the second corner, Fauldhouse were caught in possession on the edge of the box as they tried to get rid of the ball and conceded a free-kick which forced another corner. Fauldhouse couldn’t relieve the pressure as their clearances were repeatedly picked off by central midfielders Callum Bremner and Gregor Lamb.

On 19 minutes, Fauldhouse's Elliot Ferrier won a free-kick 20 yards out but Kyle Sampson put it over the bar. Fauldhouse got another rare opportunity two minutes later but the ball was picked off and Tynecastle broke with pace. Bremner, Jackson Cowan and Daniel Purves combined well setting up an opportunity for Cowan to shoot but he fired wide from the edge of the box, 6 yards from centre.

Minutes later Purves got in behind the defence after Maughan played the ball through. Purves shot was deflected onto the crossbar and the ball came out to Bremner whose deflected shot went wide.

On 34 minutes, Maughan drove down the right wing before cutting inside and drawing a foul from a Fauldhouse defender. The resulting free-kick was poor but forced a corner. Craig, the Fauldhouse keeper leapt above the rest to collect the whipped corner ball and launched a counter attack with a huge kick up to Sampson. Sampson was tackled and the ball was passed back to the Tynecastle keeper, Jamie Macpherson. The pass who too short however and Macpherson had to race off his line to clear the ball out of play to prevent the onrushing striker latching onto the end of the pass.

Fauldhouse followed up this counter attack with a number of chances, albeit long range shots which didn’t hit the target. As the first half drew to an end, Fauldhouse had just about clawed themselves back into the game following a poor 15 minute spell where Tynecastle dominated.

Tynecastle had the better of the chances in a frantic first half. Fauldhouse will have been frustrated by their inability to clear their lines and retain possession. The match was littered with fouls and mistakes by both teams but Fauldhouse’s mistakes always seemed to result in them handing over possession. Tynecastle were the more dominant in midfield and got the ball wide effectively. The midfield linked up successfully with the strikers, with Purves holding the ball up magnificently especially considering his small stature.

  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 0-0
  • Fauldhouse United

Tynecastle kicked off the second half and looked keen to continue the fast pace of the first half. From the kick off Skinner, Owen Winnick and Matthew Brown combined down the left wing and Brown produced a cross. Purves almost got a leg to the low cross but it flew past him.

A minute later the deadlock was broken. Tynecastle’s Lamb won a header in the middle of the park and played a through ball to Maughan. The pass penetrated the defence, sliding between the full back and centre back. Maughan drifted in a lofted cross to the back post for Purves to head, unmarked, into an open goal.

Tynecastle had got the all-important first goal but Sampson was eager to ensure his team got a quick reply. From the kick-off he drove forward towards goal. However, the Tynecastle defence successfully ushered him towards the wing before tackling him and initiating a counter attack. Maughan burst through the middle and played a ball over the top to Purves who would have got a second had Rhys Bickett not got a foot to the ball.

On 50 minutes, Tynecastle got another opportunity to double their lead. A long ball was played forward by Jordan Purves which was chased down by Skinner. With centre back, Liam Page, undecided what to do, Skinner picked his pocket and ran towards goal. Skinners shot was saved by the keeper but Skinner followed it up with another, only to be denied by the woodwork. Winnick chased down the rebound but was unable to get there before the ball was cleared.

The next 20 minutes was end to end football. The game had become stretched with both teams counter attacking each other. The central midfielder players were bypassed as Tynecastle attacked down the wings and Fauldhouse were relying on direct balls forward.

Despite both teams mounting counter attacks, their respective defences were preventing any clear cut chances. The only chances that came were free-kicks however neither team managed to hit the target.

ith Fauldhouse chasing an equaliser and time running out, tempers flared on 68 minutes following a foul by Tynecastle on the left wing. In a game broken by fouls, it was a surprise it took so long. The pressure was on now though and when all was resolved, Fauldhouse continued to search for a goal.

On 73 minutes, Tynecastle goalkeeper came out of his box to clear an oncoming ball. The kick fell to Fauldhouse’s Elliot Ferrier. Seeing the keeper off his line and sensing the opportunity to get his team back in the game Ferrier hit the ball back towards goal. The first time shot sailed high into the air. Everyone followed the flight of the ball and there was an audible sigh of relief from the Tynecastle supporters as the ball dropped wide of the goal.

Despite only having a one goal advantage, Tynecastle didn’t ‘park the bus’ for the remaining five minutes. Instead, they looked the more likely to score with the ball spending more time in the Fauldhouse half. When Tynecastle failed to carve out an opportunity they simply held the ball near the corner flag. Despite the 4 minutes added on for injuries and stoppages, Tynecastle held their nerve and saw out the game as 1-0 winners.

Table toppers, Fauldhouse United, will be disappointed to break their unbeaten record in the manner which they did. They simply weren’t good enough today against a Tynecastle team who were well up for the match. Fauldhouse did contribute to a thrilling encounter however, in a game that was end to end and played at a ferocious pace. It was a game that lacked clear cut chances and neat passes yet entertained all the same. Tynecastle’s dominance in spells and tenacious endeavours meant they ran out worthy winners and will face Hutchinson Vale in the final.

  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-0
  • Fauldhouse United


Tynecastle FC
Fauldhouse United
1. Jamie Macpherson
2. Todd Teviotdale
3. Andrew Lickley
4. Lewis Gill
5. Ciaran McKenzie
6. Callum Bremner
7. Jordan Purves
8. Jackson Cowan
9. Daniel Purves
10. Owen Winnick
11. Martin Maughan
12. Matthew Johnston
14. Russell Cairns
16. Dale Skinner
17. Gregor Lamb
1. Mathew Craig
2. Liam Page
3. Lewis Mclure
4. Jake Cameron
5. Rhys Bickett
6. Reece Thompson
7. Aidan Rodgers
9. Ben Mcgee
10. Kyle Sampson
11. Elliot Ferrier
12. Jamie Stanaird
14. Alex Robertson
15. Harris Neillings
16. Craig Rooney
17. Jack Martin
18. Dhee Myint
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Fauldhouse United
Martin Maughan - Once you've read through the report, it is clear to see why this player was the star man. He was involved in numerous attacking opportunities for Tynecastle throughout the match and closed down the defence well. The two strikers, Dale Skinner and Daniel Purver also deserve mentions, as does Callum Bremner, Matthew Brown and skipper Matthew Johnston.
Kyle Sampson – Spearheaded the majority of Faulhouse’s forward play and was a persistant nuisance for Tynecastle’s defence.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Fauldhouse United
Magic moment for Tynecastle has to be the only goal of the game. It was the pivotal point in the match and some good football was involved in the goal. The defence splitting pass followed by the accurate cross resulted in a good build up to a well finished goal.
Fauldhouse failed to create any clear cut chances so it is difficult to pick out a magic moment. However, the stand out moment is the long range shot from Ferrier which nearly resulted in a spectacular goal. What could have been…
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments