Home My YFS

Scottish Cup semi final for Fauldhouse as Monifieth are overturned

Monifieth Athletic 1

Scobie 76' (pen)

Fauldhouse United 3

Thompson 24', McGee 42' 63'
  • Sunday, 28 February 2016
  • Riverview Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Better late than never is what they always say. After several weeks of trying, Monifieth Athletic and Fauldhouse United finally played out their Scottish cup quarter final. They didn’t disappoint.
The visitors were the team to take the lead in the 24th minute after Reece Thompson converted from a corner kick. They then made the best possible start to the second half as they doubled their advantage just two minutes in. Ben McGee was the man to notch to the crucial strike. The number nine was on hand again to score the third goal, following a defensive mix-up, in the 63rd to leave Fualdhouse in strong position.
The tables soon turned as, with Fualdhouse now down to ten men, Monifieth were awarded a penalty four minutes from time. Ryan Scobie duly converted and, with plenty of injury time to play on top of regulation, the comeback looked possible.
In the end Fauldhouse’s resilient defense prevailed and they now have a Cup semi final to look forward to.
Monifieth Athletic’s intentions were clear right from the start of the match. Attack was the order of the day as they spent much of the first half camped in the Fauldhouse half of the pitch. They showed the potential of their attacking threat early on when Cameron Fraser had a sight at goal. Unfortunately for him his connection with the ball wasn’t quite clean and Matthew Craig, in goal for the visitors, made a comfortable save.
Despite Monifeth’s territorial dominance, Fualdhouse looked dangerous on the counter-attack. The warning signs were there, in the 7th minute, as the visitors broke up field and almost profited. Jamie Stanaird teed up Elliot Ferrier and the Fauldhouse number 11 looked to curl the ball into the top right hand corner. He came agonizingly close to succeeding with the ball just flashing past the post.
With the game ticking into the 24th minute the Fauldhouse put together a move of real quality. McGee started off the move by playing a delightful through ball down the right flank for Stanaird. After picking up the ball the attacker then drove into the box, evading numerous challenges coming his way. Stanaird then cleverly picked out Kyle Sampson in the box and the number 10 didn’t need to think twice about taking a shot. His resultant effort, however, was well blocled and the ricochet fell back to Stanaird, who had a go himself. The second effort was again superbly blocked and deflected out for a corner.
The move wasn’t totally in vain as Fauldhouse soon found themselves 1-0 up from the resultant corner kick. Ferrier delivered a fine ball into the box and Thompson was there to tap the ball in at the far post. 
Monifieth continued to enjoy the larger share of possession after this setback but just weren’t able to find that killer ball to provide a clear-cut chance. Fauldhouse continued to defend well and almost doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when Ferrier, in a similar move to his effort in the 7th, looked to curl the ball into the top corner again. This time his effort was marginally to high and half concluded with Fauldhouse holding a slender advantage. 
  • Half Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 0-1
  • Fauldhouse United
Keen to make a positive start to the second half Monifieth suffered a real hammer blow as Fauldhouse scored their second just two minutes in. Stanaird unleashed a powerful shot at goal which Monifieth ‘keeper, Alex Smart, did well to save. Unfortunately for the young goalie his parry was met by McGee, who wasted no time in dispatching the ball home for a 2-0 lead.      
Fauldhouse tried to continue piling on pressure in search of a crucial third goal. Ferrier and Sampson both came close to doing so but eh Monifieth defense was holding solid. They were determined to get back into the game.
With the game ticking into the 62nd minute the home team came so close to pulling a goal back. Gavin Westwater delivered a great ball, from a free kick, into the box that was met by the unmarked Ryan McLaren. The Monifieth forward looked to divert the ball into the bottom corner, with a deft touch from his head, but he put a tad too much on it. The ball ended up bouncing just past the post and out for a goal kick.
The agony of this near miss was compounded further as, just a minute later, Fauldhouse got their third goal. The Monifieth goalie miskicked a pass back and, unfortunately for him, it hit the onrushing McGee. The ball bobbed up in the air and the forward, motivated by his earlier goal, managed to head the ball over the advancing ‘keeper and into the goal.
Most teams would lose all motivation at 3-0 down, but not this Monifieth team. Much to their credit they reached deep into their energy reserves and continued to battle away. With 25 minutes left to play Fauldhouse were reduced to ten men. The pendulum was starting to swing in favour of Monifieth.
The home team relentlessly attacked in search of a way back into the game, but they were continuously thwarted by the outstanding performance of Craig in goal. In what was simply a master class of coming off his line and dominating his area, the Fualdhouse stopper continually plucked crosses from the air and timed his rushes to perfection. In doing so he persistently relieved the pressure, preventing Monifieth from building any sort of momentum, and instilled confidence in his back line knowing that he was there to sweep up behind them. Simon Mignolet should take note...
With four minutes of regular time to go Fualdhouse conceded a penalty. Monifieth had their trigger thought the clock was against them. Ryan Scobie duly converted the spot kick and it was time for the final onslaught.
With two minutes to go Monifieth came so close to pulling another goal back. The ball broke to Cavin Tosh and put him in a one on one situation with the keeper. Craig made the save but the ball rebounded to the feet of Cameron Fraser who had an open net to hit. Perhaps deceived by the bounce of the ball the Monifieth number 17 ended up firing his shot well over the crossbar.
As the clock continued to tick McLaren came close to scoring as he worked his way through the defenders and fired a shot at goal. Craig was there to make the save and held it well.
In the end, despite Monifieth’s efforts, they were beaten by the clock. On the flip side all involved with Fauldhouse began to celebrate the fact that they had made it through to the semi finals. While they may not feel great at the moment the Monifieth boys and management should be incredibly proud of the character and resilience that they displayed. They could so easily have come back to level the game and they can take a lot of positives from it.
The day, however, belonged to Fauldhouse and it’s time for them to prepare for their semi final. One eye on the final perhaps?
  • Full Time:
  • Monifieth Athletic
  • 1-3
  • Fauldhouse United


Monifieth Athletic
Fauldhouse United
1. Alex Smart
2. Gary Ellis
3. Aiden McAinsh
4. Ryan Scobie
5. Ryan Sandeman
6. Gavin Westwater
7. Ryan Hush
8. Robbie Gallagher
9. Ryan McLaren
10. Cavin Tosh
11. Christopher McNeill
14. Lewis Picket
15. Samuel Matchett
16. Conor Scott
17. Cameron Fraser
18. Ross Farnan
1. Matthew Craig
2. Liam Page
4. Jake Cameron
5. Rhys Bickett
6. Reece Thompson
7. Aidan Rodgers
9. Ben McGee
10. Kyle Sampson
11. Elliot Ferrier
15. Harris Neillings
16. Craig Roney
17. Jack Martin
18. Dhee Myint
19. Jamie Stanaird
Star Player
Monifieth Athletic
Fauldhouse United
Ryan McLaren – Worked his socks off in the game and, with a bit more luck, could have come away with two goals in this tie.
Matthew Craig – Usually if you score three goals in a game the attackers deserve a special mention in this section. But you can’t look past the performance of the Fauldhouse number 1. You will struggle to see a more dominant goalkeeping performance this season.
Magic Moment
Monifieth Athletic
Fauldhouse United
Gavin Westwater’s delivery in the 62nd minute that led to McLaren’s header wide was superb. That's the type of ball that attackers dream of latching onto. With the score at 2-0, at that point, the game could have been entirely different had that header gone in.
The move that led up to the corner from which they scored their first goal really was top quality. The three players involved (McGee, Stanaird, Sampson) were all on the same wavelength and they very nearly got a goal from it. That’s when football is at its beautiful best.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments