Home My YFS

Kirkliston go top of the league in win against Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City 2

Sutherland 30', 66'

Kirkliston South Queensferry FC 3

Wallace 8', 26', Hay 45'
  • Sunday, 20 December 2015
  • Forrester High School
  • Under 13´s
  • Division 3
Daniel Dormer

Daniel Dormer | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Kirkliston (KSQ) managed a massive win, taking them to the top of the table on the weekend when they faced off against Edinburgh City who weren’t doing too bad themselves, sitting in fourth place. The game took place on a very rainy and windy day at ForresterHigh School.

The first goal of the game came from Michael Wallace for KSQ, who got on the end of a Quinn Mitchell corner and smashed the ball into the top corner opening the score at 1-0.

Kirkliston almost got another as Mitchell made a good run up the left wing before trying a cross into Wallace but Edinburgh City keeper Joseph Crow dived out and stopped the cross.

City’s first chance came when Jack Sutherland tried a shot on goal that was saved greatly by keeper Nicol Heriot before Lewis Meechan tried the rebound that was fantastically blocked by Sam Grant, putting it behind for a corner.

A great run lead by Connor White followed the chance as he made a fast dribble down the middle beating quite a few players before finally being stopped by Liam Cairns.

Cern Bag was next to have a shot at goal as he received the ball from a throw in. He took a shot on goal but the goalie managed to stop the shot that was across the ground.

Wallace almost scored again as he was played through by a great over the top ball from Mac Gilburt, where he was almost one on one with the keeper but he took the shot early and dragged it wide for a goal kick.

Edinburgh equalised soon after as White tried a long shot that Heriot parried only to see Sutherland rebound and score to level the game up after nearly half an hour.

The first half ended with another goal from KSQ as Callum played through Wallace, who was shoulder to shoulder with the defender, but managed to finish his shot taking the lead for away side into halftime at 2-1.

  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 1-2
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry FC

Fraser Stewart started the second half with a half volley from range that was caught by Kirkliston keeper Heriot.

Ross Stuart tried a shot on goal for KSQ soon after as he was laid off by Grant. His shot dipped to the far post from the right wing but Crow made the save well to stop the attack.

The away side advanced their lead as Hay got on the score sheet with a ball that slipped through the defence and scored on the six yard line making the score 3-1 after 45 minutes.

The following play occurred when Crow failed a kick from his box, going straight to Hay who tried to play the ball through to Wallace who scored but the goal was marked as offside.

Wallace was involved again as Stuart played a cross in towards him where his shot went low across the goal from the left side, but the keeper’s hands put the ball behind for a corner.

Another shot for Kirkliston came as Stuart tried a long shot that Crow could only tip over the bar.

Hay had a go at the defence as he dribbled and pushed past a defender before taking his shot only to see it go across the goal and wide.

Almost the same as Stuart’s shot, City’s Ryan Norris tried a shot from far out where Heriot only just managed to clear over the bar to put it behind.

After a failed corner from Edinburgh City, Wallace found himself on a counter attack and went one on one with keeper crow. he looked for low shot around the keeper but Crow managed to make a crucial save.

The home team tried to salvage a comeback late on, shown with the opportunity by Grant where he pushed past his markers and tried a finish but it was saved wide for a corner.

Edinburgh managed a final goal but ended up being just a consolation goal in the end. Hay played a great ball over the top to Sutherland who placed his shot in the right corner of the net ending the game at 3-2 to Kirkliston.

  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 2-3
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry FC


Edinburgh City
Kirkliston South Queensferry FC
3. Aidan Jeffery
4. Finlay Byers
5. Ryan Norris
6. Connor White
7. Reece Majoribanks
8. Douglas Shaw
9. Jack Sutherland
10. Aidan Cameron
11. Fraser Stewart
12. James Jackson
13. Storm Whitelaw
14. Lewis Meecham
19. Joseph Crow
20. Cem Bag
25. Callum Walker
1. Nicol Heriot
3. Ronnie Whitehouse
4. Cameron Cadger
6. Lucas Armes
7. Ross Stuart
8. Michael Wallace
9. Sam Grant
10. Quinn Mitchell
11. Callum Hay
12. Ross Elder
15. Theodore Coombes
17. Nathan Colbourne
18. Mac Gilbert
19. Liam Cairns
Star Player
Edinburgh City
Kirkliston South Queensferry FC
Connor White - He made some good attacking movements forward and was a good contribution to the Edinburgh midfield.
Michael Wallace - He made good runs through-out the game, shown by his two goals in the game.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City
Kirkliston South Queensferry FC
Whites' fast run down the middle looked very promising and exciting as he ran from the halfway mark to nearly the box, beating a few players on the way.
Wallace's opening goal made a big statement in the game showing why Kirkliston are top of the league.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments