Home My YFS

Redhall & Livingston share the spoils in a heated affair at Meggetland

Written by  Redhall Star YFC

Fixture: Redhall Star YFC v Livingston FCBC U16
Competition: South East Region YFL U16 Division 2
Venue: Meggetland 3G
Date: Sunday 29th November 2015
Redhall Star were held to a 1-1 with Livingston FCBC at Meggetland. The visitors took the lead with a vicious shot which home keeper Ryan Green got a hand to but couldn't keep it out. Redhall levelled the match early in the second half as Antony Little got on the end of Calum Henderson's corner. Redhall created many chances with the Livingston keeper denying the Redhall forwards on numerous occasions in the second half. Livingston will be happy with a point but the home side will feel this was a chance missed to reduce the gap at the top.

The lights were on at Meggetland for this clash between 5th placed Redhall Star and leaders Livingston FCBC. Thankfully the rain had relented as Livingston got the game underway. first chance fell to Redhall as a Jack Anderson free kick was met by the head of Sam Donachie, but his effort was wide of the target. The home side continued to attack with Josh Slow-clayton setting up Antony Little but his shot was pushed into the path of Donachie was onto the rebound in a flash and smashed the ball towards goal but the Livingston keeper was back on his feet to block the effort for a corner. Slow-clayton fired in the corner which was cleared by the Livingston defence.

Redhall continued to press the visitors back with Anderson feeding a ball through to Donachie but again he was to be denied by the keeper. Little forced his way down the right side winning a free kick which was fired in by Slow-clayton. Donachie and Little both threw themselves at the ball but failed to connect with the ball and it fizzled out for a goal kick.

The home side were well on top but it was Livingston who took the lead. A foul was committed by Grant Doyle with the resulting free kick thrown into the Redhall area. Ewan Mitchell headed clear with Calum Henderson helping it further but the ball was picked up 30 yards from goal. Redhall didn't press and the Livingston lad fired in a vicious shot from 25 yards. Home keeper Ryan Green got a hand to the shot but couldn't keep it out as the ball flew into the net. League leaders in front, with their first shot at goal but Green will be disappointed he didn't keep it out despite the quality of the strike.

A free kick on the edge of the Livingston area was fired wide by Slow-clayton as Redhall chased to get back in the game. A Henderson free kick was put behind for another home corner as the pressure mounted. Donachie and Slow-clayton combined well to set up Little who fired towards goal from 20 yards but the keeper saved well.

Half Time: Redhall Star YFC 0-1 Livingston FCBC

Redhall got the second half underway and were straight on the attack as Tommy Hendry burst in from the left. His shot towards goal took a deflection which helped out the keeper as he saved easily. Thomas Steedman, in the middle of the park, combined with Anderson who sent Donachie free down the right. Donachie skipped past his man and fired a great cross across the box. Little and Hendry were inches from getting a touch to put the ball in the net.

Livingston had a rare attack which was well defended by Marc Hannah and Green cleared to safety. The tackles were getting fierce as a Livingston lad picked up the first yellow of the game for a clip of heels. From the free kick Donachie was off down the right. Square ball to Slow-clayton who played in Hendry. The keeper advanced from his line and made a fine save from Hendry's shot. Slow-clayton and Hendry combined again with Little on the end of the pass but his shot was just wide of the target.

The pressure eventually paid off as Redhall levelled. Steedman drove forward from midfield, past one, then another with his final ball into the box blocked which resulted in a corner. Henderson swung in the corner which fell nicely for Little who fired home from 8 yards to level the scores. No more than Redhall deserved. 

Redhall, buoyed from the leveller, almost went in front a minute later as the ball was won by Anderson in midfield. Little picked the ball up, turned and drove towards goal. Skipping past his marker he was in on goal. Little gave the keeper the eyes but his shot was well saved to prevent Redhall taking the lead. A great chance.

As the rain started to hammer down tempers started to flare as the intensity of the tackles increased. Neither team wanted to lose but who would be brave enough to grab the three points. Henderson picked up a yellow card for a late tackle. Livingston fired the free kick towards goal but the ball sailed out the park. Hannah clashed with Livingston lad not once but twice and referee Gordon had to speak to both players. Another Livingston free kick sailed out the park, not troubling the Redhall backline.

Redhall introduced Adam Shortiss for Hendry and Robbie Campbell for Slow-clayton. Shortiss was lively down the left as he crossed into the Livingston box. Donachie was on the end of the cross but shot tamely as the keeper gathered. Redhall had a claim for a penalty as a good run had Campbell into the area. There was a clip of heels but Campbell tried to stay on his feet with the referee indicating a goal kick much to the disbelief of the Redhall touchline. 

As we entered the final 10 minutes a through ball had Donachie chasing it down. Keeper came out, with leg raised, and clearly caught Donachie. Screams of penalty from the home touchline with Livingston claiming a punch from Donachie. A contentious moment as referee Gordon stopped the play. He was surrounded by players from both sides but what was the decision to be? Is it a penalty? Free kick? What has he given? Nothing was the verdict, but at the same time behind the referees back, Redhall's Hannah and the Livingston number 77 swapped handbags as other players got involved to pull them apart.

The final few minutes was littered with petty fouls as neither team really created a chance to claim the points. In the end the points were shared with the only winners being the other challengers in the league who would be happy at the draw.

Full Time: Redhall Star YFC 1-1 Livingston FCBC

Redhall will feel they should have claimed the points but yet again not being clinical in the final third has cost them. This was a good battle between two good sides and both are sure to feature in what is turning out to be a fantastic battle at the top of division 2. There will be many twists and turns before this league is decided.
Login to post comments