Home My YFS

Accies and Killie finish all square at New Douglas Park

Hamilton Academical FC 1

Boyd 86'

Kilmarnock FC 1

Barbour 56'
  • Tuesday, 10 November 2015
  • New Douglas Park, Hamilton.
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League.

Martin McConnell | YFS South Lanarkshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Accies remained third behind St. Johnstone and Celtic after the 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock at New Douglas Park, and continued their unbeaten league run to nine matches. Whilst, Killie managed to retain their ninth place, but could have done with the three points as those teams below them have games in hand.
The match was pretty tame, with neither side at their best, Accies improved on their performance against Celtic on Sunday, but not yet firing on all cylinders. Possession was shared evenly between the sides, but it was Killie that edged it with gilt edged chances.
Kris Boyd had two great first half chances from inside the six yard box, one saved by Alan Martin and the other going past the wrong side of the post. The opening goal was scored by Killie defender Ross Barbour, but the lead didn’t last though as Steven Boyd equalised with only four minutes of time left to play.
Accies made three changes to the line-up that beat Rangers, out were McMann, Cunningham and D’Acol, starting were Turner, Longridge and Kelly. For Kilmarnock, Ridgers replaced Brennan in goal, and Barbour, Hawkshaw and Syme all made the starting XI.
It was on nine minutes when Accies produced a half chance. Steven Boyd’s free kick was struck toward Killie’s back post and Louis Longridge steamed in, but missed with his header. The ball was then cleared, but only as far as Chris Turner who sent his effort wide from twenty five yards.
On fifteen minutes, Mark Dempster crossed to Kris Boyd inside the six yard box. The striker’s first touch was true, but Martin made a magnificent reaction save to deny him. The Hamilton keeper was called into action once more, when he comfortably saved David Carrick’s fifteen yard attempt.
At the other end of the pitch, Steven Boyd produced some great footwork inside the Killie penalty area. The ball then found its way out to Ronan Hughes who steered over the cross bar. 
Then as the half drew to a close, Barbour sent the ball wide to Aaron Splaine, who made for the bye line and sent the ball low into the six yard box for Kris Boyd. His effort though only managed to go wide of the post.
  • Half Time:
  • Hamilton Academical FC
  • 0-0
  • Kilmarnock FC
Accies got the second half under way with Shaun Want sending wide for Boyd. He played inside for Ryan Tierney, got the ball back, but shot wide of the post.
Killie fired back immediately when Carrick hit the ball to the back post which was then played back into the box for Boyd in front of goal. Just as he was about to get a shot away, Want made a last ditch tackle that kept the scores even.
Killie did open the scoring though when Barbour played a one two with Scott McLean, then drove his shot low into the net from eight yards.
Hamilton almost equalised shortly after when Jack Simpson played inside to Boyd. His twenty yard strike was kept low, but came off the inside the post. Boyd then won the ball and ran down the left. He sent in a dangerous cross, but it was smothered by Ridgers before Jack Simpson could connect.
Hamilton finished strongly, thanks in part to the energy brought to their play when Simpson came on for Tierney on 61 minutes. Longridge split the Killie defence with a ball through to Simpson who then he crossed to the back post for Scullion. Unfortunately for him, the ball was taken from his head by the outstretched boot of a Kilmarnock defender.
Boyd finally pulled Accies level on 86 minutes though, salvaging a point for his side. He turned on the edge of the box and sent a shot straight into the top corner of the net.
They weren’t finished there and went for the winner. Ronan Hughes made a slide rule pass through to Longridge and the midfielder sent his shot to the top corner. The only thing denying him and his team the winner was Ridgers, who managed to make the save.
  • Full Time:
  • Hamilton Academical FC
  • 1-1
  • Kilmarnock FC


Hamilton Academical FC
Kilmarnock FC
1. Alan Martin
2. Ben Reilly
3. Ronan Hughes
4. Shaun Want
5. J. Sendles-White
6. Chris Turner
7. Louis Longridge
8. Danny Redmond
9. Marc Kelly
10. Steven Boyd
11. Ryan Tierney
12. R. Cunningham
14. Conor Scullion
15. Colin Granger
16. Scott Granger
17. Rico Quitongo
18. Jack Simpson
19. Alex Marshall
1. Mark Ridgers
18. Ross Barbour
3. Mark Dempster
4. Aaron Splaine
5. Mark Connolly
6. David Syme
7. Scott McLean
8. Dean Hawkshaw
9. Kris Boyd
10. Dale Carrick
11. Adam Frizzell
12. Sam Liddington
14. Greg Taylor
15. Jack Whittaker
16. Iain Wilson
17. Lewis Clark
13. Ryan Millar
Star Player
Hamilton Academical FC
Kilmarnock FC
Jack Simpson - Only played half an hour, but his arrival in midfield sparked a revival in the fortunes of Accies.
Adam Frizzell - Showed some great footwork on the ball.
Magic Moment
Hamilton Academical FC
Kilmarnock FC
Alan Martin's save as he managed to get down and deny Kris Boyd's effort from close range.
Adam Frizzell's moment of magic. He stayed calm when under pressure from three Accies players, showed some great control, retained possession before picking a pass to a team mate.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments