Home My YFS

Efficient Edinburgh South triumph over Cramond

Edinburgh South FC 8

Healy 9' Gibson 13' Tiplady 28' Addison 43' Ewans 50' Corner 57' Caldwell 61' O.G. 70'

Cramond FC 2

Borland 46' Yeats 58'
  • Sunday, 25 October 2015
  • Inch Park
  • Under 13´s
  • South East Region Cup
Gregor Kerr

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

On a freezing cold Sunday morning at Inch Park, Edinburgh South were able to see off a Cramond side 8-2. An excellent team performance from South, however their opponents displayed some moments of individual brilliance.
Cramond started the game on the front foot, as they carved out the first opportunity on four minutes. Oliver Cormack scooped a ball over the Edinburgh backline which Cameron Borland ran onto. Borland held off the challenges of defenders, burst away with pace, but his effort aimed towards the right hand side was saved low down by Oliver Douglas in goals.
Five minutes later, following a period of pressure, Edinburgh South opened the scoring. Reece Ferguson, who was on the ball at every opportunity, released Neil Healy on the right wing. He raced on, set his sights and rifled a shot high into the roof of the net, handing his side a 1-0 lead.
On 13 minutes, the gap was to be increased. Robbie Corner struck the ball deep towards the far post and Lewis Gibson wasn’t going to turn down the chance from five yards, as he s wunga boot and found the back of the net.
The confidence was surging through Edinburgh South as this point, and their attacking players were linking up almost telepathically. Ferguson was pulling the strings in midfield and came close to bagging himself a goal in the 20th minute. He burst down the left and drilled an effort on goal, which Adam Walker in goals held strong to parry away.
25 minutes into the first half Cramond had a great chance to pull a goal back. Cormack stood over the free-kick from 20 yards, although his effort was well held by Douglas.
Cramond were made to rue that missed chance, as two minutes later there was a scramble in their box, Edinburgh’s Stephen Tiplady was sharpest on the spot, and he forced the ball over the line and gave his side a three goal cushion before half time.
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh South FC
  • 3-0
  • Cramond FC

Edinburgh South were determined to start the second half as they carried out in the first, and they were certainly doing that. Louis Mantle held possession on the left wing, and floated a ball towards the near post. Aiden Ewans anticipated the cross, and managed to meet it thanks to some clever movement, unfortunately for him, the header which followed was narrowly wide of the post.

Only a minute later his side were able to make amends. Cameron Addison won the ball on the edge of the box and shot right into the top corner, an excellent goal from South’s number 11.

Cramond were able to restore some pride in the 46th minute through Borland. He harrowed the South defence, won the ball, and coolly slotted to the left hand side of the goalkeeper. A deserved goal for the pacey Borland who looked threatening whenever he broke forward.
Only four minutes later Edinburgh South were to regain control of the contest. Some tricky footwork from substitute Matthew Caldwell left the defence in knots. He then slipped through Ewans, who rifled his shot emphatically into the top right corner and sealed a fifth goal for his side.
With 57 minutes on the clock, the gap was stretched even further. Corner, who had been pulling the strings in midfield all morning, won the ball 20 yards out, let it bounce, eyed up the strike and unleashed an unstoppable volley into the top right corner. No chance for the Cramond keeper on this occasion, although he had made some crucial saves throughout the contest.
South weren't having it all their own way though, as Rory Yeats raced through straight from the resulting kick-off for Cramond, kept the ball under his control throughout the run, picked his spot and found it expertly. The winner at this point was without question, but Cramond gave themselves the chance to reduce the deficit.
However, two late South goals underlined their quality. The first, scored by Caldwell, was the result of a goalmouth scramble, which the substitute managed to force into the back of the net. The final goal of the game was an unlucky one, as Healy’s cross took a cruel deflection off a Cramond body, and completed an 8-2 win for the home side.
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh South FC
  • 8-2
  • Cramond FC


Edinburgh South FC
Cramond FC
1. Oliver Douglas
2. Ben Whitelaw
3. Ben Armstrong
4. Lewis Campbell
5. Stephen Tiplady
6. Archie Mackintosh
7. Reece Ferguson
8. Lewis Gibson
9. Aiden Ewans
10. Saul Sztur
11. Cameron Addison
14. JohnPaul O'Donnell
15. Neil Healy
16. Robbie Corner
19. Shaun Thomson
20. Jay Sneddon
22. Louis Mantle
23. Matthew Caldwell
1. Adam Walker
2. Charlie Campbell
3. Samuel Coyne
4. Oliver Cormack
5. Matthew Robertson
6. Charlie Pattison
7. Matthew Evans
8. Callum Pitt
9. Rory Yeats
10. Cameron Borland
11. Matthew Horne
12. Chris Ferrier
Star Player
Edinburgh South FC
Cramond FC
Reece Ferguson - The South midfield was a constant menace for Cramond and he created opportunity after opportunity for his team-mates.
Adam Walker - The Cramond keeper was called upon numerous time to keep his side in the game.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh South FC
Cramond FC
Robbie Corner's volley was a display of fantastic technique and precision.
Cameron Borland's goal required some excellent pressing and composure.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments