Home My YFS

Blackhall through to the next round at Currie's expense

Written by  Blackhall Athletic FC

Fixture: Blackhall Athletic v Currie FC U15
Competition: South East Region YFL John McConnell Cup
Venue: Tall Oaks Football Ground
Date: Sunday 25th October 2015
Blackhall Athletic progressed to the next round of the John McConnell Memorial Cup with a deserved 5-1 victory over Currie F.C, aided by a particularly impressive first half performance.

Following an even start, it was Currie who were first to threaten either goal in the 8th minute with a shot from distance by Christopher Laidlaw forcing Blackhall keeper Ryan Rudland into a fine save.

This sparked Blackhall into immediate action, taking the lead a minute later following good play from Jamie Barry. Barry collected the ball wide on the left, flew past a couple of Currie players before squaring a low cross which was met a few yards out at the front post by Matthew Laing. Currie keeper Sukveer Sandher blocked the initial effort which then ricocheted off Laing and into the net.

If there was an element of fortune with the opener, there was no luck with Blackhall's second, when the lead was doubled in the 14th minute. Sam Crees collected a pass just outside the box to the left and from 20 yards unleashed a vicious strike across goal that skidded off the moist surface into the far corner of the goal.

The next serious threat on goal came in the 16th minute when Currie almost pulled a goal back. Some neat play in the middle of the park led to Artur Wreczycki being fed through on the left and as he moved into the penalty area he struck a fine left footed shot that cracked off the underside of the crossbar, before the ball was scrambled to safety by Blackhall.

Blackhall's reaction was to up their game and dominated the remainder of the first half. In the 24th minute the lead stretched to 3-0. From a corner on the right, Ramsey Hodgson found space in the six yard box near the back post, sending a strong downward header into the net.

No more than three minutes later and it was 4-0 when Laing notched his second goal of the game when a free kick fell to him, and he cooly slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Blackhall continued to impose themselves and in the 37th minute seemed set to go 5-0 up. Laing bore down on goal on the inside left, however as he was about shoot he was thwarted by Currie defender Daniel Shepherd with an outstanding sliding tackle.

Half Time: Blackhall Athletic 4-0 Currie FC

Following an early Blackhall chance in the second half, it was Currie that reduced the arrears with a goal in the 46th minute. A good move released Wreczycki down the left who beat one defender and from the byline he squared the ball and 2nd half substitute Lee Coleman found the roof of the net from 6 yards out. Good finish from Coleman to reduce the defecit for Currie.

Buoyed by the goal, Currie then had their best spell of the game, with a period of 10 - 15 minutes where they had greater possession and were fashioning a few half chances. In the 57th minute Currie were unlucky not to pull another goal back when a low cross-come-shot struck the base of left hand post. 

As the game continued Blackhall regained the upper hand, creating a number of further chances, with Currie keeper Sandher making a couple of fine saves and a few shots missing the target.

Not to be undone, in the latter stages Rudland made a couple of fine saves of his own in the 72nd minute from Wreczycki and the 75th minute from Oliver Leavy.

In the 76th minute Blackhall rounded off the scoring, with Laing completing his hat trick with a composed finished to the bottom corner from close range after being put through on the inside left.

There was still time for some late drama in the final minute when Blackhall were awarded a penalty when Barry was brought down close to goal, however Sandher capped a good performance standing his ground to save the spot kick that was hit high and straight.

Full Time: Blackhall Athletic 5-1 Currie FC
Login to post comments