Home My YFS

Gala Fairydean Colts fight back to win against Currie FC

Currie FC 2

Leavy 22' Laidlaw 24'

Gala Fairydean Colts FC 5

Finlayson 65' Macrae 69' 77' Cockburn 70' 78'
  • Sunday, 18 October 2015
  • Currie Youth Club
  • Under 15´s
  • South East Region Division 3
Chris Grieve

Chris Grieve | YFS South East Region Journalist

Gala Fairydean Colts came from two goals down to steal a 5-2 win with a spirited second half performance. Currie took the game by the scruff of the neck in the first half with two quick-fire goals and deserved their lead at half time but Gala never gave up and secured the win late on with two goals adding gloss to the scoreline.
The game kicked off and immediately the pace was frantic with both sides looking to assert themselves and take control of the game. It was Currie who created the first real chance when Oliver Leavy whipped a ball across but Ross McDermid’s shot came back off the post.
Gala responded well and created a couple of chances soon after. Josh Third picked up the ball after a corner was half cleared but his shot was just too high to trouble Sulci Sandner in the Currie goal. Robbie Johnston played a ball over the Currie defence which Cammy Finlayson latched onto but again his shot dipped just over the bar.
It was Currie’s turn to respond and that was exactly what they did with two quick goals. Firstly Leavy got the break of the ball and ran clear of the Gala defence and showed real composure to stroke the ball past Kyle Cockburn.
Just two minutes later it was 2-0 when a quick throw-in fell to Christopher Laidlaw and his purposeful run created space for a curling shot which nestled in the far corner. It was a very well worked goal and it was quick thinking from Laidlaw to fire an early shot goalwards.
Gala needed a quick route back into the match and they created two good chances before half time to do just that. Sam Cockburn broke forward but his shot was again just too high before a freekick (which was initially saved) fell to Martin Smith but the Sandner was alert to save Currie and maintain their lead. 
  • Half Time:
  • Currie FC
  • 2-0
  • Gala Fairydean Colts FC
Into the second half and it was Gala who started the quickest with a few good chances. Finlayson had a couple of shots after the ball was won in midfield but the first slipped the wrong side of the post while the second was well saved by Sandner in the Currie goals.
In between those chances Gala saw a Stoddard shot fly just wide, a Luis Mendoza shot and a Sam Cockburn freekick saved by Sandner. They were really turning up the heat now and were pinning Currie back.
Despite the pressure Currie nearly extended their lead. Cameron Buchan did well to win the ball and he arrowed towards Kyle Cockburn’s goal and just when a goal looked likely a great last-ditch block from Darren Boggs saved the situation for Gala. You sensed that Currie could be really effective on the break but some committed defending kept the score at two.
What followed shortly afterwards emphasised the small margins in football. From the Currie chance Gala broke forward and Sam Cockburn dinked a ball over the defence for Finlayson who brought the ball under control and stroked the ball beyond Sandner. Just four minutes later it was 2-2. A corner was half cleared but the second ball into the box found the head of Lee Macrae who made no mistake from close range. It really was game on now!
Barely a minute later and it was 3-2 to Gala when Sam Cockburn picked up the ball in midfield. He jinked through a couple of challenges and suddenly the space opened up and he side-footed the ball past the advancing keeper. It was an incredible turn around with three Gala goals scored in five minutes.
Currie were being pegged back and they were finding it difficult to break forward regularly. They were tenacious in midfield and they broke up the Gala play well but the Gala defence were inspired and gave very little away.
With three minutes to go Gala sealed the win with a fourth goal and added a fifth a minute later. Finlayson played a ball to the back post where Macrae had found a pocket of space and his volley rocketed into the roof of the net before Sam Cockburn took advantage of a loose ball following a save from Sandner driving the rebound high into the Currie goal.
It was a closer match than the scoreline suggested and it was a tight match up until the last few minutes. It was an excellent comeback from Gala and they were clinical when the chances came along despite a strong goalkeeping performance from Currie’s Sandner. Credit must go to Currie who kept pushing right to the final whistle but it was Gala who took the points with a 5-2 win. 
  • Full Time:
  • Currie FC
  • 2-5
  • Gala Fairydean Colts FC


Currie FC
Gala Fairydean Colts FC
1. Sulci Sandner
2. Kieran Patton
3. Ross McDermid
4. Max Charlston
7. Jaden Steele
8. Lee Coleman
9. Chistopher Laidlaw
10. Cameron Buchan
12. Oliver Leavy
13. Artur Wreczycki
14. Liam Donaldson
16. Daniel Shepherd
21. Euan Harley
1. Kyle Cockburn
2. Matthew Johnston
3. Lewis Sanders
4. Robbie Johnston
5. Darren Boggs
6. Josh Third
7. Lee Macrae
8. Jared Curran
9. Luis Mendoza
10. Martin Smith
11. Cammy Finlayson
12. Lewis Bell
13. Sam Cockburn
14. Scott Stoddard
15. Gregor Lunn
16. Jakub Rychlinski
Star Player
Currie FC
Gala Fairydean Colts FC
Artur Wreczycki - Depsite the goals coming from Leavy and Laidlaw, Artur Wreczycki had a good game up front quite often playing the lone striker role. He chased and harried the Gala defence at every opportunity and was perhaps unlucky not to get himself on the score sheet. His hold-up play brought his team-mates into the game and provided a platform for Currie to build from in the final third.
Sam Cockburn - Was at the heart of everything Gala did, especially in the second half. He made sure that very little got through to the defence and was incisive going forward. He finished the game with two goals and assisted in two others making him a key man in Gala's comeback.
Magic Moment
Currie FC
Gala Fairydean Colts FC
The second goal was a spectacular finish curling the ball over the keeper and into the corner of the net. It really established Currie in the game and built on the momentum created by the first goal. It was a really quick goal from the throw-in and was very well taken.
The five minute spell where Gala came from two goals down to lead 3-2 was a remarkable example of clinical finishing. It came on the back of a goal-saving block from Darren Boggs which changed the game in Gala's favour.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments