Home My YFS

Extra time Edinburgh City winners breaks Dunbar hearts

Written by  Dunbar United Colts

Fixture: Edinburgh City v Dunbar United Colts
Competition: Ian Mackay Cup
Venue: Forrester HS 3G
Date: 20th September 2015
Dunbar returned to Forrester HS for a League 2 cup game with Edinburgh City - the home side won the league game 1-0 in a very tight game played just a few weeks before.  The match was again played on the poor 3G surface which is suffering from a great deal of over playing and lack of maintenance which makes the surface slick and very hard. 
Still, the pitch was the same for both sides and there was no wind to contend with, which can make the slick surface even harder to deal with. 
Dunbar played in blue, and the air certainly threatened to turn a similar colour when the home team scored after just a few minutes played.  With Dunbar showing great maturity and discipline in holding a defensive line on the 18 yard box, the Edinburgh City striker found himself with the box to himself when a free-kick was flighted in.  It certainly looked offside but with the Dunbar defenders standing with arms raised, the City striker coolly controlled and shot the home side into the lead.
Dunbar were slow starters into the game and City edged the opening period without threatening Purves’ goal.  It took 17 minutes before Dunbar created a chance.  Kinghorn broke down the left, and his cross in was snatched at the last second by Wallace in the home goal before Dixon could strike. Dunbar did start edging the game and Smillie, Pickles, Hall and Brunton were doing well, building from the back, with Knox, Kielty and Foggo starting to edge the midfield.  Renton was looking the main threat and his pace down the right was beginning to expose the home team’s left back.  The final delivery into the box was evading the Dunbar attack when Dixon squared behind Knox in one move and a couple of Renton crosses were fired in too close to the keeper. 
City were still threatening, and they won a free kick 25 yards out.  Maposa in the home midfield set his sights and took aim with Purves diving to his right and producing another trademark world class save.
With half time approaching, Dixon was given another opportunity when put through but with the ball bouncing on the tricky surface, the keeper was out to produce a good stop.  In fact, the home keeper Wallace was looking very good in goal and it would take something special to beat him.  Step forward Owen Renton who produced arguably Dunbar’s goal of the season to date.  Foggo laid the ball back to him on the right edge of the box – he touched the ball ahead of him then curled the ball beautifully into the far top corner of the net to send the noisy Dunbar support wild. 
Half Time: Edinburgh City 1-1 Dunbar Utd Colts
The second half saw Readman introduced for Brunton and Twist on for Foggo.  Twist certainly looked as if he had a point to prove and he took little time in adding bite to the Dunbar midfield. 
Dunbar started the second half better and looked up for the task.  It was a surprise then that the home team took the lead and again it was from poor defending from a free kick.  A ball curled in saw the ball bounced off various heads before it was nodded towards the 6 yard box where the City striker was unmarked and gratefully nodded home. 
Dunbar almost equalised just after when a curling free kick from Kielty evaded everyone and the keeper was grateful to see it bounce off the post and out for a goal-kick.  Kielty tried to struggle on with a back injury but he was forced off with Smillie stepping into the middle of the park and Jones slotting into left full back.
The City back 4 were under pressure and they were restricted to long balls up from the keeper which the smallest man on the field, Jones, showed great desire and fight to win time and time again. 
In fact, Jones, Hall, Pickles and Readman were suddenly a more formidable unit and were defending well. 
Smillie was enjoying his midfield role and he was playing his best game in a Dunbar shirt.  His hard work and winning of the tackles was the source of the next chance.  He won the ball and passed by two City players before playing in Renton.  Renton turned his defender before again finding the home keeper on top of his game. 
Dixon was then presented with a golden opportunity to level things up.  Knox won the ball in midfield before playing in the striker.  Dixon has been in this position on so many occasions but this time he delayed and delayed and the keeper was out to save the ball at the striker’s feet. 
Dixon made amends just minutes later though with Twist the creator this time around.  Twist’s turn, run through and pass through saw Dixon strike first time.  The defender rushed back towards goal but h could do nothing to stop it going over the line and the scores were level once again.
Dunbar looked the more likely to score but the referee’s whistle signalled for extra time, causing panic in the faces of those who had tickets for the Hearts v Aberdeen game.

Full Time: Edinburgh City 2-2 Dunbar United Colts
The first period of extra time saw Dunbar create enough chances to win the game.  The ball broke to Knox in the box, he pushed the ball past the defender but from 6 yards out, he snatched at the effort and shot wide.  Knox used his strength and pace seconds later as he ran down the left.  He broke into the box and with Renton and Dixon screaming for it, the midfielder looked to make amends and smashed towards the corner of the goal.  Again, the home keeper was equal to it and pulled off a classy stop. 
The game was looking there for the taking for the visiting Dunbar side with the possession now being controlled by the team in blue.  However, the referee’s whistle blew with the teams still level for the final 10 minutes.
The second period of extra time saw Dunbar win a few corners, with Kinghorn turning in several great crosses.  The ball would not fall to a Dunbar striker, and Smillie and Knox were restricted to shots from range which did not trouble the home keeper. 
With 10 seconds of time remaining, the Dunbar Coaches were beginning to collect names for the penalty shoot-out.  City broke upfield with one last attack.  The referee decided Smillie’s tackle was an illegal one right on the edge of the box. 
If Carling made football cup-ties then they obviously only had Edinburgh City in mind as Maposa stepped up and delivered a perfect strike into the top right hand corner of the net to win the game for the home team.  Indeed, Dunbar kicked off and the referee blew for full time with Dunbar sinking to their knees in a feeling of pure shock at letting the game slip from their hands.  Again, this was an evenly matched game and a great lesson for the visitors in taking chances at this level.  So no Carling weekend for the Dunbar lads – in fact it had a feeling of warm Tennent’s lager about it, as they headed for home wondering what could have been. 

Full Time AET: Edinburgh City 3-2 Dunbar United Colts
Cup action continues for Dunbar with a venture though to West Lothian, as they play Armadale Falcons in the next round of the Scottish cup. 
Login to post comments