Home My YFS

Late drama as Tynecastle snatch cup final glory right at the death

Tynecastle FC 2

Brown 60' Winnik 78'

Dalkeith CYP 1

OG 74'
  • Sunday, 24 May 2015
  • Hallhill, Dunbar
  • Under 15´s
  • South East Region Cup final
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A dramatic late winner from Owen Winnik ensured Tynecastle won the South East Region Cup at Dalkeith's expense. 

A rather uneventful first half was completely overshadowed by a thrilling final 20 minutes. First Tynecastle skipper Ciaran McKenzie cleared the ball off the line spectacularly immediately before a 30-yard screamer from Matthew Brown gave Tynecastle the lead.

Winnik had a chance to make sure of victory, but he did not show the same composure as he did later in the match and fired straight at Dalkeith keeper Jordan Cherrie. 

Dalkeith almost made him pay when they benefited from a bizarre own goal from Lewis Gill who punched the ball into his own goal via a dodgy bounce on the ground.

The Tynecastle number 10 had the last laugh though by snatching victory at the death when he bundled the ball home from a corner.

This was actually the second time these two Midlothian sides have met in a cup final, with Dalkeith looking to avenge their 2-0 defeat in a different trophy earlier in the season. That being said, in the opening exchanges neither goalkeeper was really troubled.

Midway through the first half Dalkeith's Ryan Borthwick attempted to catch Tynecastle keeper Lewis Gill off his line in what was the game's first real effort in goal. However his lob stopped well shy of reaching the back of the net.

The game failed to open up much at all in the first half, with both teams being more than effective in cancelling one another out. Many people expected as much - despite Tynecastle having racked up more comprehensive victories en route to this final and their earlier victory over their Midlothian rivals. 

On the half-hour mark Tynecastle's Jackson Cowan registered his side's first effort on goal, curling  a 25-yard effort wide of the post. Shortly afterward, Kieran Jack of Dalkeith had a pop from a similar range - but his drilled set-piece effort was blocked.

Borthwick had another go from distance shortly before the break - this time testing Gill but the keeper held easily enough. 

  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 0-0
  • Dalkeith CYP

Tynecastle came out for the second half roaring from a corner and Aaron Wilson cracked the post with a sweet half volley. 

They continued to pile pressure on their opponents, Wilson first just failed to connect with a great cut-back, and then Dalkeith had their captain Jake Beveridge to thank for a vital interception that stopped lurking strikers having a tap-in.

The game slowed down again for a while. Tynecastle's Winnik was presented with a half chance but he fired straight at Dalkieth keeper Jordan Cherrie. Up the other end, Alistair Caithness tried his luck from distance with an effort that was not all that far away from the top corner. 

With 20 minutes remaining the game sprang to life with a near-goal for Dalkeith.

David McNeishy rounded Gill and sent the ball into an empty net - or so he and everyone else in the ground thought. But miraculously for Tynecastle, Ciaran McKenzie somehow prevented the ball from crossing the line - silencing the cheers of joy booming out from the Dalkeith supporters. 

They were left to rue that miss just seconds later. Tynecastle full back Matthew Brown picked up the ball fully 30 yards from goal, and leathered it straight into the top corner - leaving Cherrie no chance. It was, quite literally, nothing less than an absolutely beautiful goal. 

Winnik then had a great chance to rap the game up for Tynecastle but he shot straight at the keeper.

With seven minutes remaining, Dalkeith thought they had sent the game to extra time after the luckless Gill punched the ball into his own goal at a corner.

But Tynecastle struck back less than two minutes later at a corner of their own. Winnik forced a good save out of Cherrie, but the striker blasted the rebound into the top corner and booked his side on the first flight to Cloud Nine. 

It was a dramatic ending in a closely fought cup final. The Dalkeith equaliser was a fluke, but they will feel they deserved to take the game to extra time. As ever though, games like these are won by fine margins, and Owen Winnik's winner came too late in the game for them to recover from. 

  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 2-1
  • Dalkeith CYP


Tynecastle FC
Dalkeith CYP
1. Lewis Gill
2. Todd Tevoitdale
3. Andrew Lickley
5. Ciaran McKenzie
6. Callum Bremmer
7. Jordan Purves
8. Jackson Cowan
9. Daniel Purves
10. Owen Winnik
11. Aaron Wilson
12. Max Bendle
14. Jake Coulter
15. Matthew Brown
16. Cameron Mills
17. Declan Gibson
1. Jordan Cherrie
2. Alistair Caithness
3. David McNeishy
4. Nicholas Weir
7. Cameron Watson
8. Ryan Borthwick
10. Taylor Rogan
11. Kieran Jack
12. Jake Beveridge
14. Brandon Monteith
15. Cameron McBeth
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Dalkeith CYP
Ciaran McKenzie - Matthew Brown and Owen Winnik had very good games. They also both scored and of course deserve their credit.

However, the Tynecastle captain was a complete rock at the back. Nothing got past him on the ground or in the air, and the outcome could have been completely different had it not been for his goal line clearance.
David McNeishy - The wide man played a great game, getting up and down the park as often as possible. He of course also came so close to scoring what could have been a potential winner for his side. It was a real shame he was carried off injured in the final few moments, and we wish him a speedy recovery.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Dalkeith CYP
In a game that at times was devoid of magic, it would be ridiculous to even suggest Matthew Brown's incredible opener could be anything other than the magic moment. A wonderful goal that the youngster will remember for his entire life, and one that is fitting for a cup final.
Whilst lady luck was on their side for their goal, it was special to see all the celebrations as Dalkeith grabbed their equaliser which almost took the game into extra time.
Club Views
Tynecastle FC
Dalkeith CYP
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments