Home My YFS

Hutchison Vale beat Spartans Reds to lift Division 1 League Cup

Spartans Reds 99 1

Hosey 55

Hutchison Vale 1

Paton 2
  • Hutchison Vale win 8-7 on penalties
  • Sunday, 17 May 2015
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Division 1 League Cup Final
Harvey Nafpliotis

Charalambos (Harvey) Nafpliotis | YFS South East Region Journalist

Spartans Reds faced Hutchison Vale in the Division 1 League Cup final at New Dundas Park with Hutchie lifting the trophy after a penalty shootout.

The players did not disappoint in the early exchanges and both teams would have chances to open the scoring in the first two minutes of play.

Oran Hosey picked up the ball in the middle of the park and with a little look up played a dinked through-ball for Ogulcan Yilidirim who found himself in on goal. Unfortunately for the forward he could not fashion a finish and the ball was cleared out by the Hutchie defence.

At the other end of the park however Cameron Paton had his shooting boots on early.With two minutes played the forward caught hold of a ball in from the wing before advancing to the edge of the box and rifling a low shot to the centre of goal which seemed to catch Spartans goalkeeper Jamie Mitchel off guard and nestled in to the netting.

If indeed there ever is a “good” time to concede a goal in football then arguably it’s early on as there is plenty of time for a reaction.  Perhaps fearing just this however it would be Hutchie who would set about dominating the game in the first half, looking to add the cushion of a second goal. After six minutes, a floated corner into the Spartans box saw an unmarked Ross Waters take the ball down well and drive an effort towards goal, only a ruck of brave Spartans players putting their bodies on the line for their team prevented Hutchie from doubling their advantage.

Just a minute later the Spartans box was under attack once more as a floated long-range free kick from McGuire needed a strong fisted clearance from Mitchell to take the ball away from its intended target.

Despite the Hutchie dominance Spartans would look to engineer their resurgence with a couple of good chances of their own as the first half progressed. With 20 minutes played Brady would find the lively Murray Hand down wing and his cross was met by the advancing Girdwood’s header which clipped the bar before going out for a goal kick.  Girdwood would be involved again in a good chance just a couple of minutes later as he looked to spearhead the Spartans response almost singlehandedly. Williamson provided a nice pass for Hosey who found Girdwood in a central area. A nice run from the midfielder saw him take on two players before a low shot shaved the right hand post of Martin in the Hutchie goal.

With 25 minutes played Spartans would have their best chance of the game to get back on level terms. A Hosey free kick on the edge of the box connected with the wall and when the rebound fell to Murray Hand his venomous volley went just over the bar. It was a sweetly struck effort and Hand will no doubt feel the shot would have been unstoppable had he managed to just keep it that little bit lower. That being said had it gone in the effort would not have looked out of place in a Premier League highlight reel so credit to Hand for trying the spectacular to get his team back in the game.

Perhaps buoyed by that thunderous warning shot from Hand, Hutchie looked to end the half strongly and goalscorer Paton, Richardson and Wright were instrumental in preserving their teams lead. Some very nice interchanging passes meant Spartans would chase the play while Hutchie probed for the defence unlocking pass.

With just one minute left in the first half Hutchie could indeed have been two up. Mackie did very well to disposes Hand and play the ball up to the waiting Kyle Hunter. Hunter’s hold-.

up play was very good as he looked to play in the onrushing Paton. A great run and clearance of his line from Mitchell however ensured that Hutchison Vale went in at half time with just the one goal.

  • Half Time:
  • Spartans Reds 99
  • 0-1
  • Hutchison Vale

The second half continued at the same high tempo as the first with both teams going hammer and tongs to land the cup. In contrast to their dominance in periods of the first half Hutchie started the second slower allowed opportunities for Spartans to get back in the game.

Harry Girdwood continued a good first half showing early in the second half as he took advantage of some good build up in midfield to put himself in a central position and have a fierce low drive at goal, the effort inches wide of the diving Patrick Martin’s post.  Another Spartans player in fine form was the impressive Oran Hosey. The midfielder often acting as the crucial pivot between attack and defence was on hand in the 49th minute to provide a well-placed corner which was audaciously backheeled goalwards on the jump by Matthew Brady. The effort may have gone over the post but credit must be given for attempting such skill given the pressure of the circumstances.

Spartans would continue no press and would deservedly get back in to the game on 55 minutes. A long-range free kick from Lewis Money from inside his own half perfectly found the head of the unmarked Hosey and he obliged with a neat finish to tie the game at 1-1.

With the game tied at one each both teams would continue to try and wrestle control of possession and fashion the chance which could win their team a cup. One man summed up his teams endeavour on 62 minutes. Harry Pullar looked up to measure the flight of a difficult lofted pass from the back from Euan Mcguire which looked destined to go out for a throw. Pullar had other ideas summoning a burst of pace to control the ball and proceeding to beat two men before flashing a cross in to the Spartans box. No takers on this occasion but this piece of persistence epitomised the work ethic required in a cup final and really caught the eye.

As the game progressed a number of free kicks disrupted the flow and clear cut chances were at a premium, which perhaps can be attributed to tiredness and the sense of occasion. That being said neither team could be accused of settling for the draw. With the score tied at one each the final went to extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Spartans Reds 99
  • 1-1
  • Hutchison Vale

The first period of extra time saw signs of tiredness creep in to the play, and while neither side looked to have completely depleted their energy reserves the tempo of the play slowed somewhat.

The tireless Pullar tried to energize his team mates with some direct play early on, taking the ball for a run down the wing before poking it through for Kyle Hunter who’s shot went straight in to the hands of the waiting Mitchell. Mitchell would be called into action just moments later when a ball in from Fitzpatrick needed another strong fisted clearance to prevent the ball falling for one of the waiting players in the box. As the minutes ticked on both defences stood firm and neither goalkeeper was tested before the whistle.

In the second half it can be arguably said that both players and fans could sense that the lottery of a shootout was on the horizon. Hutchie did continue to press and a lovely disguised ball from Paton just eluded the forwards on 96 minutes.

In the end both teams was able to break the deadlock and the two sides would need to contest a penalty shootout to determine the victor. Patrick Martin was the hero for his side as he stepped up to stop his opposite number in Jamie Mitchell in the last penalty diving low to his left to make a smart save and win the cup for Hutchie.

There can be no doubt that penalties is the harshest of ways to settle any game, let alone a cup final. However in a game such as this where two well-matched sides could not break the deadlock, perhaps penalties are the only way to determine the winner. A good, lively spectacle with plenty of fight, determination and skill from both sides. Congratulations to Hutchison Vale U16s Division 1 League Cup winners 2015!

Final Result: Hutchison Vale win 8-7 on penalties


Spartans Reds 99
Hutchison Vale
1. Jamie Mitchell
2. Daniel Sutherland
3. Josh Willamson
4. James Pringle
5. Lewis Mooney
6. Oran Hosey
8. Micheal Allen
9. Matthew Brady
10. Calum O'Neil
13. Harry Girdwood
15. Sean McCorkindale
16. Jack Murray
17. Ogulcan Yilidirim
19. Dillon Floyd
20. William Linton
1. Patrick Martin
2. Harry Pullar
3. Callum Mackie
4. Euan McGuire
5. Cameron Stewart
6. Rayaan Singh
8. Callum Fitzpatrick
9. Blair Conway
10. Kyle Hunter
11. Ross Waters
12. Jamie Watson
14. Murray Young
15. Owen Richardson
18. Lewis Wright
19. Cameron Paton
21. Jake McCreadie
Star Player
Spartans Reds 99
Hutchison Vale
Oran Hosey - His overall game was top notch. Some very good deliveries and a real hardworking shift from the midfielder. A good finish for his goal capped off a great performance.
Kyle Hunter - He may not have got in to score a goal but the forward was in good form, holding up play well and looking to bring his teammates in. A strong performance from the striker.
Magic Moment
Spartans Reds 99
Hutchison Vale
Murray Hand's volleyed effort in the first half was a brilliant bit of skill and hats of to the young man for trying the extraordinary.
Hard to take away from Patrick Martin's penalty heroics. He soaked up the pressure and ultimately made a great stop to win his team the cup.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments