Home My YFS

Gala Fairydean lift the David Innes Cup after spirited KSQ late rally

Kirkliston South Queensferry 2

Roy 53, 68

Gala Fairydean Rovers 3

Roberts 10, Wheeler 44, Bell 61
  • Sunday, 10 May 2015
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 14´s
  • David Innes Cup final

Kirkliston South Queensferry got this final underway and it was they who threatened first when Andrew Bradford showed good quick feet as he drove into the box but his effort was cleared. Bradford look lively in the opening stages and came close to opening the scoring on six minutes when his shot came off the base of the right post.

A high lofted ball into the Gala Fairydean box saw Josh Bain having to keep his eye on it as two opposition players closed in. Bradford came close to opening the scoring again when his well-struck shot came off the inside of the far post on nine minutes.

Slightly against the run of play Gala took the lead from a corner on the right. The ball whipped in saw Daniel Cairney control the ball and when it was played back to Matthew Roberts, he made no mistake on 10 minutes and hit a great shot from 14 yards out to find the far corner.

Gala won a corner after a good ball from Calmie found Roberts at the back post but he saw his shot deflected behind. Cairney should have doubled his teams lead but he put his header over the bar from six yards out.

Kirkliston forced several corners in succession with the best chance coming from the final corner played in by Lloyd Rohan. A long ball to the back-post area saw Bradford connect but his effort went wide of the right post. The men from down by the Firth of Forth then had a good claim for a penalty turned down when Cairney looked to have blocked off Bradford as he made his way into the box.

Cameron Quate in the Kirkliston goal found himself in the referee’s book after he came out of his box and wiped out Rodrigo Olival. A free kick on the edge of the box was played long to the back post by Wheeler which was met by Cairney, who did not connect the way he wanted and the chance was gone.

The game was now being played mostly in the midfield with both teams looking for the long ball to set up their attacks. Both teams had opportunities in the closing stages with Fraser Glass sending a 25 yard shot wide for Kirkliston, then Gala won a corner. Lewis Wheeler played in the set piece which Quate punched beyond for another corner. The same player took the resulting award and his ball into the near post was cleared.

  • Half Time:
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry
  • 0-1
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers

Gala got the game restarted after the interval but it was Kirkliston who got the first opportunity of the half. A free kick played in by William Paget flew just past the always dangerous Bradford and into the grateful hands of Bain in the Gala goal.

Gala pushed forward and Finlay Sweetnam drove into the box but he was crowded out. Kirkliston cleared the danger but the ball reached Wheeler around 35 yards out who hit an absolute screamer beyond the helpless Quate to double his team's lead.

Kirkliston might have let their heads go down but they were made of sterner stuff and came back at Gala. Jake Hannan came within inches of reducing the deficit when his wonderful strike from 18 yards out came crashing off the juncture of the right post and bar.

Gala should have seen their lead reduced on 49 minutes. A great free kick from the left by-line played across the front of the Gala goal was missed firstly by Hanna in the middle of the goal and then Forrest at the back post.

Kirkliston must have wondered what they had to do to score as Bradford forced Bain into a good save at the near post before Hannan was denied by the keeper at the far post. The pressure eventually paid off on 53 minutes when Roy found himself in some space and fired home finding the far corner to get his team right back into the game and keep their cup dreams alive.

Unfortunately Kirkliston would have to see out the rest of the game reduced to ten men when Quate came rushing out of his box and whipped out Olival for a second time. Already booked for a similar incident in the first half the referee had no option but to show him his second yellow and then a red. With no sub keeper, outfield player Hannan replaced the departing keeper between the sticks.

Kirkliston were not to just face the loss of their keeper but Gala were to pile on more woe a minute later. A good ball in from the right by Roberts was met with a well directed header beyond Quate by Declan Bell into the far corner.

Into the last couple minutes and Kirkliston’s Roy fired in a well struck shot which flew just over the bar. A minute later he doubled his team's goal tally when he picked the ball up, drove in on goal and from six yards out he fired past Bain to set up a grand stand finish. 

  • Full Time:
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry
  • 2-3
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers


Kirkliston South Queensferry
Gala Fairydean Rovers
1. Cameron Quate
2. Muir Deckers
3. Greg Richardson
4. Ryan Forrest
5. Fraser Glass
7. Andrew Bradford
8. James Anderson
9. Cory Roy
10. Ewan Doyle
11. Cameron Innes
12. Lewis Ewan
15. Ross Smith
16. William Paget
19. Harris McGill
21. Jake Hannan
24. Lloyd Rohan
1. Josh Bain
2. Calum Arnott
3. Declan Bell
4. Lewis Wheeler
5. Daniel Cairney
6. Sean Curran
7. Fergus Johnston
8. Josh Lamb
9. Matthew Roberts
10. Jack Noble
11. Rodrigo Olival
12. Martin Smith
13. Finlay Sweetnam
14. Josh Dougal
15. Lewis McGill
16. Michael Robertson
Star Player
Kirkliston South Queensferry
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Andrew Bradford - A real threat going forward and how he never got on the scoresheet is amazing. On another day he could have had four or five to his name.
Daniel Calmie - Involved with most of what Gala did, set up a goal and came close himself on several occasions.
Magic Moment
Kirkliston South Queensferry
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Cory Roy's second goal with a couple of minutes remaining to set up grand stand finish.
Lewis Wheeler's absolute screamer of a goal from 35 yards out. A goal that would have graced any game at any level.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments