Home My YFS

Newcraighall Leith Vics bow out to impressive Tynecastle

Newcraighall Leith Vics 2

Blair 11, Robertson 50

Tynecastle 4

Dillon 19, 41, 69, Campbell 56
  • Sunday, 12 April 2015
  • Peffermill 3G
  • Under 14´s
  • John Crawford Cup Semi Final
Tynecastle booked their place in the John Crawford Cup Final after defeating Newcraighall Leith Vics 4-2 thanks to a strong team performance and a clinical display of finishing from striker Matthew Dillon.
The hat-trick hero netted a brace in the second half to seperate the sides following a close fought first 45 minutes that finished 1-1 at the break.
First blood went to the home side as they had started on top. A short corner seemed to be over-hit but was recovered by Jordan Daly after he had a shot from long distance that didn't trouble the keeper.
More good play from Newcraighall seen Fynlay Connor and Brandon Blair combine down the left before Blair whipped a great cross in bypassing the six yard box, unfortunately for no one to latch onto.
Early dominance was rewarded for the Vics when Blair opened the scoring in the 11th minute. A ball over the top from midfield fell into the path of the striker and he snatched it away from the keeper before passing into an empty net.
It may have been a case of taking the foot off the gas once the opening goal had been scored as Tynecastle now began to dominate possession in a fast paced match on a wet Peffermill 3G.
It was almost an equaliser minutes later as Craig Turnbull provided two excellent crosses but they failed to find a target in the box.
However they did find the leveller in the 19th minute. Dillon made something out of nothing as he outpaced the Vics defence to round McGee and take his time to slot past a recovering defender on the line.
The quickness of the pitch was dictating the game now as both sides struggled to string passes together and attention turned to winning the territorial battle.
One last piece of action was to take place as Blair turned and dragged his shot wide.
A somewhat scrappy first half but a fair result of a draw as both teams had their moments.
  • Half Time:
  • Newcraighall Leith Vics
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle
As the rain seemed to let up, there was hope the match would return to its early promise and quality football would be on show.
A good chance fell to Arran Bathgate within five minutes of the restart but his shot blazed over after being closed down quickly.
In the 41st minute, Tynecastle were rewarded for more tenacious efforts of Dillon when he pressed the centre back into hesistancy and managed to out muscle his opponent to break one on one with the keeper. Another decision to go past McGee paid off as his touch ran straight through into the net much to the dismay of the defender who chased the ball into the net, clattering the post once it crossed the line.
With the away lead restored, the game remained eventless for the next 10 minutes until John Robertson, who had only been on the field for 5 minutes, came up with a moment of genius.
His 25 yard free-kick was struck wonderfully over the goalkeeeper and into the top corner to bring the match level again.
There was an openness to the game now and it was obvious there were going to be more goals to follow.
This was certainly the case with 14 minutes left to play. Rhys Campbell popped up in the box with the goal to seperate the sides following great link up play from Dillon and Daniel Lock. The pair combined well and found Paul Smith with his back to goal. His smart turn resulted in an intelligent pass for Campbell who couldn't miss. A good old fashioned pile-up then ensued with Smith emerging from the bottom.
The best chance for Vics to get back into the tie fell to another Smith in the form of James. Robertson's cross found the midfielder at the front post but his header went narrowly wide.
With only minutes to go, the game was over thanks to Dillon's deserved third strike. A lot of the plaudits have to go to Liam McCue though. His brilliant footwork seen him dance through three players and escape a tight area to accurately play in Dillon to seal Tynecastle's place in the final.
Another great match up, as expected from a semi final tie, with Tynecastle showing great persistence and composure in front of goal to run out 2-4 winners.
  • Full Time:
  • Newcraighall Leith Vics
  • 2-4
  • Tynecastle


Newcraighall Leith Vics
1. Tyler McGee
2. Josh Sharkey
3. James Henderson
4. Dan McKinlay
5. Arran Bathgate
6. Fynlay Connor
7. Jordan Daly
8. Louis Flucker
9. Yrick Gallantes
10. John Robertson
11. Sean Ward
12. James Smith
14. Brandon Blair
15. Mark Tenant
16. Andrew John Mackay
17. Campbell Notely
1. Aiden Black
2. Alex Adam
3. Blair Ross
4. Sean MacDonnell
5. Ross Young
6. Rhys Campbell
7. Paul Smith
8. Liam McCue
9. Craig Turnbull
10. Charlie Green
11. Matthew Dillon
12. Daniel Lock
Star Player
Newcraighall Leith Vics
Would probably have to be Brandon Blair for his goal and his work rate upfront on his own. John Robertson had a great game when he came on also.
Has to be Matthew Dillon. A superb hat-trick and the striker didn't seem to tire at all as he ran the home side defence ragged. A match winning individual performance.
Magic Moment
Newcraighall Leith Vics
John Robertson's free kick was an absolute beauty and got his side back into the game.
Dillon's final goal was an excellent finish but it was a great piece of quality that preceded it by Liam McCue. Beating three players with quick feet and finding the pass to Dillon secured the win.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments