Home My YFS

Harmony Row advance to final as Antonine crash out

Antonine Football Club 1

Gavin Miller 6,

Harmony Row Youth Club 2

Ross McEntee 28, Kieran Blackwood 72
  • Sunday, 29 March 2015
  • St.Anthony JFC, Glasgow
  • Under 21´s
  • Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup

Dave Marshall | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Harmony Row U21's overcame stubborn opposition to progress through to the SYFA Challenge Cup Final after a 2-1 win over Antonine at the home of junior side St.Anthony. Antonine opened the scoring early in the match but two goals either side of the half gave Harmony Row the win. 
It took Antonine all of six minutes to open the scoring. A long, High free kick into the box was met by the head of Gavin Miller who raised highest over Harmony Row ‘keeper Callum Easton. As the ball trickled goal wards the defence desperately tried to stop the ball crossing the line but their efforts were in vain as the ball nestled into the corner of the net and the referee awarded the goal. 
The early stages were somewhat of a midfield battle with neither team shrieking from a tackle. Harmony Row were trying to play their football on the wings and tricky winner Ross McEntee set up a couple of chances for striker Steve Young but the Antonine defence weren’t giving Young an easy day of it and most of his efforts were easily cleared. 
With the wind to their backs in the first half, Antonine were trying to capitalise on the long ball and use the considerable height advantage they had over their opposition. 
As the half progress, Harmony Row began to take a foothold in the game as they came forward looking for an equaliser. A low hard free kick from the edge of the box by Steven Greer was held by Sean Gibbons in the Antonine goal. 
With his work from the wing as of yet failing to produce a goal, Ross McEntee decided to take matters into his own hands. Cutting in from the wing, he beat three Antonine defenders before unleashing an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box into the top right hand corner of the goal. An incredible equaliser. 
Harmony Row taseted blood are were going for the goal that would give them the lead before half time. Mark Burbidge cut in from the right wing and lay the ball off for Scott Jackson. With the goal gaping Jackson sent his shot soaring over the bar, a golden chance missed for Harmony Row. 
Burbidge was causing trouble again this time setting up Kieran Blackwood but he couldn’t get his shot away cleanly and Antonine saw out the danger again. Harmony Row came close to snatching the lead just before half time, Scott Jackson played through Luke Whelan who saw his shot deflect off Calum Bryan and creeped agonisingly by the post.
  • Half Time:
  • Antonine Football Club
  • 1-1
  • Harmony Row Youth Club
The second half continued the midfield battle from the first and the fouls and cautions started to mount up. 
In the first twenty minutes, real goal mouth chances were rare as both teams adapted to the change in conditions from the first half. With the wind now against them, Antonine were trying to play the ball on the deck more and were pulling off some nice play mostly through, Rory McNicol. Harmony Row were sticking with what worked for them in the first half and kept the majority of their play to the wings. 
Harmony Row were still the team looking most likely to score. Kieran Blackwood skilfully brought a long ball down from his chest but his shot from the edge of the box went wide. 
Findlay McKenzie was the rock in the Antonine defence that was keeping Harmony Row at bay. His long balls and free kicks were also causing his opposite numbers trouble. A long free kick from the half way line was spilled by Calum Easton but Harmony Row were able to clear. 
With about 18 minutes to go in the game, Harmony Row finally got the breakthrough goal. Keiran Blackwood glided through the Antonine defence before his shot took a slight deflection and into the bottom corner past Sean Gibbons. Harmony Row deservedly leading for the first time. 
The game still hung in the balance as both teams went looking for the vital next goal. Kieran Blackwood saw another shot go wide. Antonine substitute, Daniel Finnigan, gave his side some much needed speed and he set up Fraser Murray who produced a solid save from Calum Easton after a shot from the edge of the box. 
Greg McBride missed a great chance to wrap the game up for Harmony Row. After being played in 1-on-1 with the ‘keeper, by Cameron Haddow, his attempt to chip the goalie went harmlessly over the bar. 
The referee played five minutes of added on time after a couple of injuries for both teams in the second half. This gave Antonine a chance deep into added on time to try and bring the game level. A long free kick from Philip Law was met by the head of Niall Carslaw but his effort flashed across the goal and wide. 
Cameron Haddow produced a good save from Sean Gibbons after Harmony Row struck on the breakaway. But it was the last chance of the game and Harmony Row had done enough to progress to the final 
  • Full Time:
  • Antonine Football Club
  • 1-2
  • Harmony Row Youth Club


Antonine Football Club
Harmony Row Youth Club
1. Sean Gibbons
2. Philip Law
3. Nathan Bogle
4. Ryan kerr
5. Calum Bryan
6. Niall Carslaw
7. Gavin Miller
8. David Brannagan
9. Scott Cameron
10. Gregor Cree
11. Daniel Finnigan
12. Rory McNicol
14. Fraser Murray
15. Findlay McKenzie
16. Kieran Falconer
17. Cameron Harkins
1. Cameron Easton
2. Daniel MacKinnon
3. Luke Whelan
4. Steven Grer
5. Ian Patterson
6. Scott Jackson
7. Mark Burbidge
8. Grant Bolton
9. Steven Young
10. Kieran Blackwood
11. Ross McEntee
12. Cameron Haddow
14. Greg McBride
15. Gary Nuggent
16. Grant Gaddi
17. Matthew Feeney
Star Player
Antonine Football Club
Harmony Row Youth Club
Findlay McKenzie, a rock at the back. Organised the back line well and kept his team in the game for most of the game.
Ross McEntee, was a constant menace and his stunning goal was really a sight to see.
Magic Moment
Antonine Football Club
Harmony Row Youth Club
In a game where Antonine were under the cosh for most of it. Gavin Miller's goal was a rare moment of joy for the home side.
Ross McEntee's equaliser. Absolutely no competition. One of the best goals you'll see at any level this season.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments