Home My YFS

Hutchie reach Scottish Cup final as Knightswood run out of gas

Hutchison Vale FC 4

Paton 71, 77, Stewart 75, Wright 80

Knightswood BC 0

  • Sunday, 22 March 2015
  • Albyn Park, Broxburn
  • Under 16´s
  • Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup
Hutchison Vale FC came to the 'four' in the final ten minutes of this game to propel themselves into the final of the Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup where they will face Spartans Reds after defeating Knightswood Bc 4-0 at Albyn Park, Broxburn.
Four goals in a nine minute spell at the end of the game from Cameron Paton (2), Cameron Stewart and Lewis Wright secured the Edinburgh sides appearance in the show piece final being held at Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium at the beginning of May.
Hutchison Vale claimed their semi final spot but only after requiring extra time to defeat Glenboig United FC 3-2 at home whilst Knightswood Bc secured a 2-1 away win against St Convals to claim their chance to make it to the final.
Hutchie got the game underway and the first piece of action came when Knightswood were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. George Munro stepped up and played a ball in looking to release Lewis Dibble but the ball was over hit and went out for a goal kick.
The game started at a hectic pace with Kyle Hunter and Jamie Watson combining well on the left flank for the Edinburgh side but Reece Stepney did well to come across for Knightswood to halt their progress.
Hutchie won the first corner of the game on five minutes but Knightwood dealt comfortably with Lewis Wright's low driven corner when Darren Robert Halligan cleared the danger at the near post.
Jack Torrance in the Knightswood goal produced a great one handed save at full stretch to divert Fareid Yassein's low driven shot to his right after being played in by Wright on seven minutes.
Both teams were going for it and looked two pretty evenly matched sides in the opening stages of this cup tie. A free kick 20 yards out gave Knightwood a good opportunity to test Martin in the Hutchie goal but Munro drove his kick into the Hutchie wall which stood firm, Munro then played the ball back into the danger area which Hutchie cleared.
The midfield was becoming a bit bogged down as both teams were cancelling each other out in the middle of the park in this East versus West encounter with both teams looking for the long ball in behind. A well timed sliding tackle halted Wright's advancement after he was found by Harry Puller on the right.
The resulting throw in was cleared behind by Sean Soave for a Hutchie corner which saw Wright play in the in swinger but Halligan met the ball with a powerful header to clear for Knightswood.
Munro showed some good initiative when he took a quick free kick and tried to find Halligan but Pullar was on hand luckily to just cut the ball out before it reached the Knightswood man.
Hutchie's Wright forced Torrance into a brilliant save when he come out to smother the ball at the forwards feet, then Hutchie came close again when they created another good chance when Ross Water was found out on the right, after some good skill he pinged the ball into the far post which found Wright and he played the ball back to Puller but unfortunately his effort was not as fruitful as the move when his shot went well wide.
Knightswood were next to threaten when Dibble played a great ball inside for Kyle Harley but Rayaan Singh was on hand to stop the ball reaching the intended target, then another free kick in favour of the men from the west just inside their own half. Hannah played a long wind assisted ball into the box which Martin in the Hutchie goal had to watch carefully as Dibble was on hand to knock home any spillage from the keeper.
A corner on the right saw Pullar put his header wide of the left hand post when he got on the end of Euan McGuires ball in then Hutchies Hunter showed great tenacity when he picked the ball up tight in the corner on the right side, turned two opposition players inside out to then drive into the box and produced a great cut back for Yassein who was unlucky to see his shot blocked.
Knightswood's Soave showed great control not to just dive in when Robbie Polson drove into the box off the left side at full pelt as it would have been so easy to give a penalty away but he stood up and made himself big to win the ball. Hannah then showed his defensive qualities after Pullar showed good skill getting along the by-line but the Knightswood man cleared.
Hutchie were giving away needless free kicks and this was the case again when Calum Nicholson was taken out by Sean Mitchell, Halligan took responsibility but from 28 yards out he blasted his effort over the bar. Another silly foul and another free kick for the team from the west and this time Hannah played the long ball into the box and when Singh miss headed his clearance up in the air, his keeper came to his rescue to collect.
Into the final minutes of the half and Hutchie were pushing for the opener but Knightswood were defending in packs and this denied Hunter on several occasions from getting his shot away and also frustrated Cameron Paton on the edge of the 18 yard box as they crowded him out.
  • Half Time:
  • Hutchison Vale FC
  • 0-0
  • Knightswood BC
Knightswood got the second half underway after the interval but it was Hutchie who showed their intent at the start of the second period when Hunter curled a fine shot round the Knightswood defence to just go past the right hand upright.
Hutchie had not learned from the first half and were still giving away silly free kicks and this again was the case as Knightswood were awarded a free kick in their own half. The ball was cleared for a throw in and Stepney found Daniel Cairney at the edge of the box but he blasted wildly over the bar.
Torrance had to react quickly to brilliantly turn McGuire's 20 yard drive around the post for a corner. The resulting corner was played in by Callum Fitzpatrick which was met by the head of Paton but the ball flew wide of the post.
A very poor challenge by Puller on Knightswoods Mitchell saw his name being taken by the ref on the 55th minute to produce the first and only booking of the game. The following free kick awarded for the infringement was played in by Hannah but Hutchie cleared only as far as Cairney who launched the ball back in but Martin punched clear.
Another free kick produced the closest thing to a goal on the 61st minute in favour of Hutchie when McGuire played the ball into the box which was headed onto the top of the bar by Paton which had Torrance beaten all hands down.
Hutchie were starting to take control of the game and they had the ball in the Knightswood goal on the 63rd minute after Paton played the ball into the back post area where Polson was waiting to fire home. Unfortunately for Polson and Hutchie the celebrations were brought to a halt when the referee spotted the linesman's flag up on the far side as the ball had gone out and come back in, therefore the goal was disallowed.
The men from Edinburgh were even more frustrated when the referee stopped the play for an injury to the Knightswood player as they felt it was not a head knock and the main focus of their annoyance was that the ref seemed to play on for a while when the player was down, but when they were at the 18 yard box he decided to stop the play.
It was back to the wall stuff for Knightswood now and they proved little or no threat going forward any longer and it was all about surviving the final quarter of an hour of regular time. Paton had a good chance when he found himself on the edge of the the box but he did not take advantage when his ball was neither a shot or a cross and Knightswood cleared.
Knightswood where looking tired and Hutchie had them pinned back in their 18 yard box and eventually the pressure took its toll and the opener arrived on the 71st minute. A fantastic run from Yassein from midfield saw him play a delightful through ball into the path of Paton who finished well as he slotted home to the right of Torrance who was unfortunate as he did a slight touch to the ball but not enough to deflect it away from goal.
The men from the West looked physically tired but they kept going trying to stem the Hutchie onslaught but hutchie had the bit between their teeth now and smelt blood.
A tired challenge led to a free kick on the left hand side 25 yards out for Hutchie and Cameron Stewart place the ball down. Stewart doubled his teams lead on 75 minutes when he produced a quality strike to bend his free kick round the Knightswood wall and into the left hand side of the opposition goal leaving Torrance rooted to the spot.
Physically tired and now looking mentally tired after the second goal going in, Knightswood managed to get the strength from some where pushed on and went for it with five minutes to go. Better to go down fighting than go down with a whimper seemed to be the order of the day but this always leaves you susceptible to the counter attack.
This sadly was the case when a long ball from the back found Paton and finding himself with just Torrance to beat he stormed in on goal and claimed his second of the game and Hutchie's third to kill any thoughts of a come back dead in the water.
Knightswood who had given so much in this game were running on empty and were to concede again right at the death when Paton became supplier this time.  After a terrific run down the right flank and on a hat-trick he decided unselfishly to cut back the ball to Wright and he blasted high into the roof of the net to finish off a devastating nine minutes for Knightswood.
Hutchie wiped out Knightswoods dream of reaching a Scottish Cup final in a devastating final nine minutes but the final score line did not reflect the effort Knightswood had put into the game and may even have flattered their conquerors slightly. One thing is for sure though and that is that Hutchie's fitness proved the real difference in the final stages and as Knightswood faded, Hutchie kicked on and kicked on in style.
  • Full Time:
  • Hutchison Vale FC
  • 4-0
  • Knightswood BC


Hutchison Vale FC
Knightswood BC
1. Patrick Martin
2. Harry Pullar
3. Callum Mackie
4. Euan McGuire (C)
5. Cameron Stewart
6. Rayaan Singh
7. Robbie Polson
8. Callum Fitzpatrick
9. Blair Conway
10. Kyle Hunter
11. Ross Waters
12. Jamie Watson
14. Murray Young
15. Owen Richardson
16. Fareid Yassein
18. Lewis Wright
19. Cameron Paton
20. Jamie Mackie
1. Jack Torrance
2. Sean Soave
3. Reece Stepney
4. Kyle Hannah
5. Adam Murney
6. Kai Joseph O'Malley
7. Darren Robert Halligan
8. Sean Mitchell (C)
9. Paul Leonard
10. Calum Nicholson
11. Daniel Cairney
12. Cameron Shaw
15. George Munro
17. Kyle Harley
19. Lewis Dibble
20. Ross Thomson
Star Player
Hutchison Vale FC
Knightswood BC
Fareid Yassein controlled the midfield especially in the second half and was instrumental in the opening goal.
Kyle Hannah - Defended well all game and worked extremely hard at the back making numerous important interventions. A player that can deliver a good free kick and corner.
Magic Moment
Hutchison Vale FC
Knightswood BC
Cameron Stewart's 28 yard free kick on the left which he bent round the defensive wall finding the left hand corner.
Adam Murney's well timed sliding tackle to halt the progress of the Hutchie man down the right side.
Club Views
Hutchison Vale FC
Knightswood BC
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments