Home My YFS

Broxburn hold on to take Tynecastle scalp and make the Scottish Cup Final

Broxburn Athletic Colts 2

Lochrie 13, Gopal 45

Tynecastle FC 1

Graham 48
  • Sunday, 15 March 2015
  • St Marks Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup
Broxburn Athletic Colts literally headed themselves into the final of the Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup defeating Tynecastle FC 2-1 at St Marks Park.
A headed goal from Scott Lochrie just before the quarter hour mark and another header from Leon Gopal on the stroke of half time was enough to see Broxburn through with Matthew Graham heading home for Tynecastle just after the interval.
Both teams claimed their semi final spots after coming through their quarter final ties with Broxburn defeating Antonine FC Blacks 3-2 away from home and Tynecastle Fc defeating Dundonald Bluebell by the same 3-2 away score line.
This was going to be a tight game as you do not get to a semi final of the Scottish Cup without being able to play descent football and this certainly proved to be the case on the day.
Broxburn got the game underway and they showed their intent when on three minutes when Jordan Grieve played in a free kick from the left side to see Ryan Lees header come of the keeper but Fraser Cormack saw his shot from the rebound deflected of his own player for a goal kick.
Tynecastle forced a couple of corners on the left but could not capitalise after the first corner was cleared behind for a corner, then the second corner played in was punched clear by Craig Livingstone in the Broxburn goal.
The game was being played at a hectic pace with the team from the West starting of the brighter and they created a good chance when Jonni Turner cut in from the left but hit his shot straight at Darren Mitchell in the Tynecastle goal. Broxburn were then awarded a free kick midway in their own half but Ross Nimmo was adjudged to have strayed into an off side position.
Broxburn hit the front on the 13th minute when Scott Lochrie powered home a free header after a superb ball in from a Grieves free kick on the left with Tynecastle all at sea at the back giving him far to much space in the danger area.
Tynecastle best chance of the game so far came on the 20 minute mark when Jack Philp played a great ball in which saw Stephen Scott just put the ball inches wide of the post as he slid in. The Edinburgh men started to make inroads into the game and Anton Dowds tested Livingstone with a shot from 16 yards but it did not trouble the Broxburn keeper.
Grieves was given another opportunity to whip in a ball from the left when Broxburn won another free kick on the left which he did but Barry Hogg headed clear for Tynecastle but only as far as Greg Sneddon who shot wide from the follow up.
Thirty minutes gone and Broxburn were still edging the half but Tynecastle did push forward and when Scott felt he was infringed just inside the box and went down but the referee waved away his appeal. Scott was involved in Tynecastles next chance when drove toward the by-line and played a lovely cut back for Connor Brydon but his shot was saved low down by Livingstone.
Tynecastle were looking for the equaliser with time running out in the first half but it was they who were to fall further behind right on the stroke of half time. A great ball in from the right by Turner was met by the head of Leon Gopal six yards out to send it back in the direction it came from to leave Mitchell in goal with no chance as his bullet header flew into the far side of the net.
The half time whistle filled the air and with the Broxburn men going into the interval deservedly 2-0 ahead meant Tynecastle had a bit of a hill to climb to get back into this game in the second half.
  • Half Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 2-0
  • Tynecastle FC
The chat at half time in the Tynecastle changing room must have hit a nerve as Tynecastle came out with guns blazing in the second half and forced a early corner after good work on the right from Scott. Scott played in the corner he had won and with the ball bouncing about the box it was panic stations for Broxburn as a couple of shots ricocheted about but Turner eventually cleared the danger.
Tynecastle reduced the deficit on 48 minutes when a ball played in by Matthew Quinn was met by Matthew Graham six yards out and he powered his header beyond Livingstone in the Broxburn goal.
Broxburn were in defensive mode and Turner was on hand to head clear a Bradd Campsie and then Livingstone had to be alert to get down low at the near post to save a low driven ball in from goal scorer Graham.
Broxburn were having a few sorties forward but a free kick gave them an opportunity to get the ball into the box and Marcus Millar got on the end of Gopal's ball in but his shot went wide of the far post. It was back to defending for the Broxburn men when Hogg found Calum Helm inside the box and just as it looked like he was going to slot home and get his team back on level terms, Millar produced a superb goal saving tackle to deny the Tynecastle man.
The men in maroon had a great chance on the 66th minute to get back on level terms when a corner in from the right was headed on by Kyle Butt as he tried to clear for Broxburn which landed perfectly for Dowds at the back post area but he rushed the shot and sliced it wildly of the left hand upright.
Minutes later it was Broxburn who should have increased their lead when another free kick won was whipped in to the back post by Turner but Kyle Gray could only put his shot wide of the post.
Twenty minutes left and Scott played in a good ball for Hogg but he blasted wildly over the bar for Tynecastle then Broxburns Turner put his effort over the bar after Greg Snedden's initial shot was deflected into his path.
Tynecastle were inches away from getting on level terms when a corner from the left from David Henderson was met by Scott with a glancing header which went just inches wide of the post and then they were awarded a free kick. Tynecastle were really pushing forward now and won a free kick 30 yards out, Scott stepped up but his effort flew over the bar.
Broxburn were forced into some stout defending now and they did it very well to repel the Tynecastle onslaught with Butt blocking a shot from Scott, then Millar blocked a shot from Helm for a corner. Millar showed great control to force Scott out of the box when it would have been so easy to lunge in and give away a penalty.
Millar was a rock at the back for Broxburn in the closing stages again heading clear another shot from Scott and then into added time he showed his importance to his side when he cleared again as Quinn played a ball into Brydon.
Four minutes into added on time and with Tynecastle pushing forward the ball was cleared and played up field which found Jordan Sweeney and he picked up the ball and drove in on goal but Mitchell produced a good save but he could not hold it. The loose ball found its way to Cormack and he must have thought he had put the game beyond Tynecastle when he let his shot go, but Campsie just threw his body on the line to block the shot and that was the final action of the game.
Tynecastle dominated the majority of the second half but they just could not get that all important second goal. Whilst Broxburn went in deserved leaders at the break, were holding on in the latter stages of the game but they defended brilliantly to keep what they had worked so hard for in the first half to get to the biggest show piece final in the game at their age group. This made them the first side in Broxburn Athletic Colts' history to reach the final of the national competition, an oustanding achievement.
  • Full Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 2-1
  • Tynecastle FC


Broxburn Athletic Colts
Tynecastle FC
1. Craig Livingstone
2. James McGregor
3. Marcus Millar
4. Ryan Lees
5. Jordan Grieve
6. Leon Gopal
7. Ross Nimmo
8. Greg Sneddon
9. Jamie Henderson
10. Scott Lochrie
11. Jonni Turner
12. Kyle Gray
14. Fraser Cormack
15. Jordan Sweeney
16. Kyle Butt
17. Lamin Touray
1. Darren Mitchell
2. Ewan Herriot
3. Bradd Campsie
4. Matthew Quinn
5. Craig Russell
6. Barry Hogg
7. Jack Philp
8. Anton Dowds
9. Connor Brydon
10. Stephen Scott
11. Matthew Graham
12. David Henderson
14. Kyle Scott
16. Ciaron Small
17. Calum Helm
20. Chris Burt
Star Player
Broxburn Athletic Colts
Tynecastle FC
Marcus Millar - Superb at the back, always organizing his back line and came to the rescue of his team on numerous occasions especially in the closing stages of the game. A real rock at the back.
Connor Brydon - Worked tirelessly up front all day and was a real thorn in the side of the opposition.
Magic Moment
Broxburn Athletic Colts
Tynecastle FC
Jordon Grieves super ball in from a free kick on the left for the opening goal.
Matthew Grahams goal at the start of the second half really turned this game into a real cup tie in the second half as he got his team right back into the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments