Home My YFS

Dunbar's winning streak comes to an end against Edinburgh South

Written by  Dunbar United Colts

Fixture: Dunbar United Colts v Edinburgh South
Competition: Under 13's SERYFL Division 3
Date: 08/03/15
Dunbar hosted Edinburgh South, looking to continue their winning run while the visitors boasted an impressive league record which has seen them lose only twice this season.  Dunbar were missing Knox who was serving the first of his four-game suspension, and flying winger Cooper who was away on a school hockey tour.
The game started well, and both teams looked evenly matched with some good passing and well-fought battles evident from the off. Dunbar looked good in possession and were looking to pass their way through an Edinburgh South team that looked defensively very strong.
The first opportunity fell to Dunbar when an attack by Mclean saw a well-timed tackle and a corner for the home side. The corner was cleared to Sutherland who controlled on the edge of the area but his goal-bound effort was deflected wide.  The visitors had their first effort on goal minutes later - a robust Pickles challenge saw the referee award a free-kick. A well-taken effort was taken cleanly by keeper Purves.
Edinburgh South looked dangerous on the break and from a long ball over the top; the Dunbar defence was caught napping.  The left winger collected, rounded keeper Purves and his goal-bound effort was expertly cleared by Hood who made up the yards with an amazing show of determination.
The visitors opened the scoring with 12 minutes on the clock. A free kick from the half way line cleared the right full-back position, the left winger again collected and from his cross, midfielder Sutherland could only flick into the striker’s path and he despatched it with a confident effort into the far corner.
Dunbar were finding the well-organised South defence hard to breakdown but Foggo, Twist and Dixon were combining well, and forced a few corners in succession.  The best opportunity in the first half saw Pickles thread a great ball through for Dixon.  The striker did well to hold off the defender, and his attempted pass across to Foggo was intercepted just as the striker was about to take aim.
The striker again showed how hard he works when defending from the front – he successfully won the ball, showed good strength but his shot went wide of the far post.
Edinburgh South should have scored again, when the striker was put through twice within a few minutes. Twice he snatched at the effort and put it wide.
The visitors did extend their lead with 24 minutes on the clock when a ball wasn’t cleared by the home defence and a scrappy goal was squeezed in at the near post.
There was a break in play when a high tackle on Twist went unnoticed, and the midfielder was forced to leave the pitch with a blow to his knee.
Dunbar were unlucky to go in 2 goals down at the break when they saw two more corners cleared. The first saw Foggo’s delivery well volleyed by Dixon but his effort went over the bar. The second corner saw a Pickles header headed off the line.
Half Time: Dunbar United Colts 0-2 Edinburgh South
The second half initially looked promising for the home side when Mclean and Tait combined well down the right, forcing a chance which was cleared. The same two combined when Tait arrived up from full-back to provide support from the throw-in but again there was no takers for the ball in the box.
After this promising start, it was Edinburgh South who would score again. A ball booted high up the park was left by Tait, and Brunton, and with no takers, the South attacker thanked the defenders and unleashed a wicked volley over Purves from the edge of the box. It was against the run of play but a superb strike.
Dunbar pulled one back a few minutes later when a free-kick from out on the right was brilliantly delivered from the right boot of Foggo. It cleared the defenders and a grateful Mclean collected and slotted home from the far post. Dunbar were in the ascendency now and Twist was re-introduced to the park. He combined well with Gallagher to send Dixon through but again his goal bound effort was deflected just past the post. From the corner, a Hood header was blocked by his own team-mate which summed up Dunbar’s day.
It wasn’t all Dunbar and keeper Purves did have to pull off a great save from a threatening South attack. Brunton also did well to cut-out an attack, and he used it as a platform to attack himself, skipping past a few Edinburgh players, passing the half way before his attempted pass through was blocked.
The Edinburgh South defence held strong and it was to be a day of frustration for Dunbar. With seconds to go, a throw-in from the right fell to the South attacker, who twisted past Tait and Hall and again showed the Dunbar team how it’s done – smashing the ball past Purves.
Full Time : Dunbar United Colts 1-4 Edinburgh South
Login to post comments