Home My YFS

Oxgangs beaten comfortably as Penicuik claim final spot

AC Oxgangs 0

Penicuik Athletic 3

Anderson 7, 55, Hewett 39
  • Sunday, 01 March 2015
  • Colinton Mains Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Division 3 League Cup Semi final
AC Oxgangs crashed out of the league cup at the semi final stage when they met league rivals Penicuik Athletic at a wintry Colinton Mains Park.
Goals from Lewis Anderson (2) and Alasdair Hewett secured a comfortable 3-0 win to reach the final where they will face Dunbar United Colts.
The visitors got the game underway on a very muddy pitch which had been played on earlier in the day and forced a corner in the opening minutes of the game but the resulting corner was cleared by Jack Wann.
Oxgangs were awarded a free kick on the left and Brandon Porter floated in the ball which was put behind by Arran Liddle for a corner. Greg Dighton took the corner from the right side but Daniel Glen was on hand to clear the danger for Penicuik.
Penicuik were awared a free kick when Owen Orr was fouled just inside the Oxgangs half. Glen played the ball into Liddle who found Lewis Anderson out on the right and his low driven cross into the box somehow found its way into the Oxgangs net at the near post to put the visitors in front on seven minutes.
The home side pushed forward and Dighton found himself in on goal but Scott Sutherland spotted the danger and was quick of his line to clear and then the visitors created a good chance after a good move involving Porter who found Joe Clark on the right. Clarkes ball into the box was controlled by Cameron Milne who laid off Dighton but his low driven shot caused Sutherland no problem in the visitors goal.
Penicuik forced a couple of corners on the right but it was from the latter corner Oxgangs broke up field through Joe Clark who played the ball into Porter who won a corner off Glen, Glen then cleared the ball from the resulting corner.
Glen then nearly got his second of the game when from the right side he whipped in another cross to see the ball come of the top of the bar and then at the other end Joe Clarke tested Sutherland in the Penicuik goal but his 20 yard drive was comfortably saved by the big keeper.
The game was becoming a bit kick and chase football as the weather conditions along with the deterioration of the playing surface was not making it easy for either side but Penicuik seemed to be coping better with the elements.
Orr then had a good opportunity for the visitors with five minutes to when he found himself 20 yards out but his shot went wide of the right hand post then a minute later Jack Hamilton showed his defensive qualities when he made a terrific tackle to halt Oxgangs Connor Griffin at the edge of the box after being found by Joe Clark.
Griffin then showed good control and slid in Porter on the edge of the box who slipped just as he was in the process of shooting but he still managed to get enough on it to force Sutherland into a good save down low to his right.
With a minute to go to the break Oxgangs looked like they had done enough to reach the interval only one goal down but Penicuik had other idea's and after a through ball was played into the box Hewett did not hesitate to poke the ball home from 12 yards out when he beat Callum Innes who was favourite in the home goal to reach the ball first.
The men from Mid Lothian certainly had one foot in the final and left the home side with a lot to talk about during the interval on how to get back into this cup tie.
  • Half Time:
  • AC Oxgangs
  • 0-2
  • Penicuik Athletic
Oxgangs got the game restarted after the interval and went on the attack but Scott Clark did not catch his shot as he wished from 20 yards and Sutherland saved comfortably but the home side nearly paid the penalty for allowing Orr all the time he wanted to twist and turn in the box and could have punished Oxgangs but his shot crept just past the post.
The home side were a little unfortunate when Griffin played a great ball into Joe Clark who was deemed off side when it looked like he had timed his run perfectly. The Oxgangs men then won a corner on the left side which was curled in by Dighton but the referee deemed that there had been an infringement in the box and awarded Penicuik a free kick much to the home sides annoyance.
Porter was next to try his luck for the Colinton Main men when he showed good control in the box but his goal bound side foot finish into the right hand corner was blocked well by Connor Hislen at the expense of a corner to prevent him reducing the deficit.
It was a real scrap now and Milne along with Joe Clark in the centre of midfield starting to take some control for Oxgangs and when a ball was played to Porter he ran the length of the opposition half and ended up forcing a corner. Porter took the corner that he had won and drove a wonderful ball across the face of the Penicuik goal but there was no one on hand to force the ball home.
Oxgangs certainly looked a better side than they had for big parts of the games so far and created another good opportunity when Griffin played in the big powerful Joe Clark who drove into the box but Jack Kennedy produced a terrific tackle to knock the ball out for a throw in. Then Penicuiks Hewett went looking for a goal to add to his earlier strike but he failed to work Innes in the home goal when he shot wide of the near post.
Penicuik put the game beyond their opposition on the 55th minute with a goal that would have graced any final never mind a semi. A Glen cross in from the right saw Anderson claim his second of the game when he met the ball on the full volley and rifled home from six yards out to end this game as a contest.
It was all about pride now but they would have to find away to slow Penicuik down as they went on the attack again. A silly foul gave the visitors a free kick 28 yards out and Wann took responsibility and hit a fine dead ball just inches wide of the right hand post. Then Liddle was played through after his team mate latched onto a mistake by Dillain Tillbrook in the midfield but the referee gave Liddle off side which was a very tight decision.
Oxgangs were becoming more and more frustrated with players falling out and pointing the finger at each other when mistakes were made. The home side had an opportunity when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out after Griffin was brought down. Scott Clark took responsibility but his free kick was saved by Sutherland comfortably.
The game became a bit scrappy and the home side gave away needless and silly free kicks. Glen seen his free kick headed clear by Porter and then Liddle put his 25 yard effort wide of the upright.
Any threat to Penicuik was coming through Joe Clark down the left side and he had a shot blocked then he picked up the ball again and drove down the left, cut inside and drove to the by-line but the ball was knocked behind for a corner.
With the game coming to a end the visitors were awarded another free kick 27 yards out. Hewett stepped up but his poor effort was easily taken by Innes then the home side had a good opportunity through Joe Clark to get a consolation goal but he hit his effort straight at Sutherland.
The game came to an end and Penicuik thoroughly deserved their win and to go forward to the final but AC Oxgangs know that they did not play anywhere near their best on the day and failed to really get going in one of their biggest games this season so far.
  • Full Time:
  • AC Oxgangs
  • 0-3
  • Penicuik Athletic


AC Oxgangs
Penicuik Athletic
1. Calum Innes
2. Niall Boyd
3. Josh Deans
4. Sean Mannion
6. Connor Allan
7. Greg Dighton
8. Dylan Tillbrook
9. Brandon Porter
10. Cameron Milne
11. Lewis Britain
12. Joe Clark
14. Scott Clark
15. Callum Hay
16. Sam Smith
17. Evan Protheroe
19. Connor Griffin
1. Scott Sutherland
2. Scott Brown
3. Connor Hislen
4. Ryan Porteous
5. Arran Liddle
6. Matthew Chandler
7. Daniel Glen
8. Alasdair Hewett
9. Jack Wann
10. Jack Hamilton
14. Gregor McKenzie
15. Lewis anderson
17. Owen Orr
Star Player
AC Oxgangs
Penicuik Athletic
Joe Clark - A big strong player who battled well in midfield but was also a threat down the left side.
Daniel Glen - worked hard all game and was involved in setting up two goals and played some delightful balls into the box.
Magic Moment
AC Oxgangs
Penicuik Athletic
Cameron Milnes good control and turn on the edge of the box and then find pass to set up his team mate for a shot.
Lewis Andersons second goal was a cracker when he met the ball on the full volley to rifle home.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments