Home My YFS

Tynecastle FC prove too strong for Tynecastle Colts in the Tynie Derby

Tynecastle FC 5

Ngwenya 9, 41 Scobie 62 McCallum 65, 68

Tynecastle FC Colts 0

  • Sunday, 08 February 2015
  • Saughton Park
  • Under 13´s
  • South East Region Cup
Ryan Crombie

Ryan Crombie | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

It was an all Tynecastle affair in one of the South East Region Cup semi-finals which meant that even before kick-off we knew that Tynecastle would be featuring in the final. The question that was lingering at the forefront of everybody’s minds though was what Tynecastle side would it be.

Before the match got underway, a minute silence was observed impeccably by all in attendance for Jak Trueman who sadly passed away on Monday after losing his brave battle with cancer.

It was an even start as both sets of players looked to ease their way into the game and despite an early effort from Lewis Collins not troubling the goalkeeper it did show signs of intent from Tynecastle Colts.

The early signs had been promising for the second division side, yet it was the favourites, Tynecastle FC who took the lead through Kieran Ngwenya. Aaron Matheson poked a neat ball down the line to Ivan Alapiki who showed pace and strength to get hold of the ball.

He drove past one player and on his arrival at the byline he cut the ball back across the face of goal. There waiting, was Nhwenya who had the simple task of slotting past the diving goalkeeper.

Tynecastle FC were in the ascendancy and a swift breakaway, launched by Blair Ramage almost brought the second goal that would go a long way to having a foot in the final. Ramage found Alapiki who strode past the Tynecastle Colts defence and fired in an effort only to see it turned behind for a corner by goalkeeper Ryan Greechan.

That only made Tynecastle FC even hungrier for that crucial second goal and they had their opponents penned in for long spells in the first half. Alapiki was driving force in the Tynecastle FC front line and he showed that once more as he powered his way to goal and thundered an effort at goal which was somehow foiled by goalkeeper Greechan, a stunning stop.

Jack Carr for Tynecastle Colts was proving to be a useful outlet up top during the sustained periods of pressure. A dinked ball over the top would have allowed him to run in on goal using his lighting pace, however the ball just wasn’t falling for him, but he was a threat and Tynecastle FC had to be aware of that. 

  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-0
  • Tynecastle FC Colts

The second half started extremely fast paced and Christopher McCallum scooped an effort over the bar which would have been a delightful finish if it had dropped into the net.

The lead for Tynecastle FC was eventually doubled through a magnificent wonder strike from Ngwenya. He picked up the ball in the centre of midfield and from about 32 yards out decided to have a strike at goal. Most would have been questioning that decision but not after witnessing the end result. The shot floated into the top left hand corner leaving the goalkeeper helpless and everyone gawking in awe of the strike.

That was the only action that took place from around the 45th minute until the final ten minutes of the game. A stagnant period of action ensued as Tynecastle FC realised all they had to do was manage the game and they would progress. The “Home” team were no longer so willing to throw bodies forward.

Cue the last ten minutes. A sudden upsurge in the tempo produced three quick-fire goals from Tynecastle FC to seal the game and ensure they would be playing in the final.

The first was a beauty of a free kick from James Scobie who wickedly whipped it in. The goalkeeper could do naught but stand and watch the ball whizz over his head and into the net. The third soon followed and it came from a cross that was fumbled by the goalkeeper although he did have lots of pressure applied to him and a free kick could easily have been given.

After a stramash, the ball was tapped home by McCallum to put the game well beyond the reach of Tynecastle Colts who had battled hard all game.

The fifth and final goal soon followed and it was McCallum who doubled his goal tally for the day as he was once again on hand to tap the ball into an empty net after the keeper had made a brilliant save from a Scobie strike. 

  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 5-0
  • Tynecastle FC Colts


Tynecastle FC
Tynecastle FC Colts
2. Scott Jardine
3. Luke Wilkie
4. Cooper Duff
5. Kieran Ngwenya
6. Jacques Crane
7. Owen Reid
9. Kameron Jackson
10. Blair Ramage
11. Ross Watson
12. Christopher McCallum
14. Brandon Russell
16. Ivan Alapiki
18. James Scobie
19. Aaron Matheson
20. Aaron Heap
1. Ryan Greechan
2. Lewis Collins
3. Mark Wilson
4. Jamie Warner
5. Bailey Gardner
6. Aaron Burns
7. Dylan Hutchison
8. Sean Clouston
9. Joseph Banda
11. Jack Carr
12. David Ellis
14. Ethan Davis
15. Liam Miller
16. Jamie Phayre
17. Dalziel Cron
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Tynecastle FC Colts
Kieran Ngwenya was the stand out performer for Tynecastle FC as his strong powerful play in midfield was only exemplified by the two goals that he managed to get during the game, one being a wonder strike.
Jack Carr provided an outlet for his side upfront which allowed the pressure to be relieved off of the defence temporarily. He looked like the most likely to make the break through for the Colts.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Tynecastle FC Colts
When Ngwenya beautifully struck the ball into the top corner of the net that left everbody in the Saughton astro enclosure stunned.
Jack Carr had a great run down the left wing and cut the ball back across the face of goal but nobody was there to tap in. It looked like a certain goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments