Home My YFS

Dalkeith stay rooted at the bottom after defeat against AC Oxgangs

Written by  AC Oxgangs

Fixture: AC Oxgangs Blues v Dalkeith CYP
Competition: Under 19's SERYF League
Date: 01/02/15
This was an eagerly anticipated match from both sides as Dalkeith were sitting bottom of the table one point behind Oxgangs but having thrashed them earlier in the season. Oxgangs had been propping up the table over the festive season but a good win in a blizzard away ton Edinburgh City took them one point above Dalkeith. 
The pitch passed a late inspection and Oxgangs won the toss and chose to play with the stiff breeze behind them. 
As expected the match started scrappily as both teams took time to adjust to the conditions Midway through the hal fthe deadlock was broken by a goal direct from a corner. Charlie Barrie, Oxgangs right wing drove an inswinger from the left which flew into the top corner. 
Both teams then squandered chances in front of goal before Oxgangs were awarded another corner on the left which Barrie then duplicated and no one could quite believe it. Oxgangs were now in complete control. 
Charlie could not complete his hat trick of corners as his nerxt corner from the left missed, brushing the post on its way past. It was amusing watching the lengths Dalkeith players went to avoid another corner on the left. 
Half Time : AC Oxgangs Blues 2-0 Dalkeith
Dalkeith now had the wind behind them and started to pile the pressure on the Oxgangs defence which held firm. 
Dalkeith soon pulled one back when Johnny Louden sent over an inswinging cross from the left corner flag which came off the bar, the rebound was saved but broke back to Davie Hutchison who did not miss. 
Oxgangs never win easy and were being saved by a string of good saves by Danny Potter. 
Oxgangs' other Danny then had a chance to restore the two goal advantage but his heavy touch allowed Dalkeith's keeper to make the save. 
However, Danny Caira was able to make amends when he was given the same chance moments later and restored the two goal advantage. 
Just as Oxgangs looked as though they might add to their lead Brad Jamieson broke clear and the Dalkeith forward won and scored his penalty to close the gap and ensure a frantic finish. 
Oxgangs Centre half Andrew lilley Broke his hand in a sliding tackle but carried on to the end being an important part of the wall as Dalkeith won a free kick on the edge of the D. This was to be the last kick of the game and their was much relief on the Oxgangs touchline and disappointment on the far side as the ball flew over the crossbar assisted by the strong wind.
This was an exciting game of football from two sides desperate to stay off the foot of the table but the points were won by a brace of Charlie Barrie corners. 
Both sides could have left Colintin Mains happy but it was Oxgangs that prevailed however their next game is a more daunting task, a second round cup match against a Hutchison Vale team sitting near the top of the first division.
Full Time : AC Oxgangs Blues 3-2 Dalkeith
Login to post comments