Home My YFS

Spartans earn victory in the League Cup over Edinburgh City

Written by  Spartans Reds

Fixture: Spartans Reds v Edinburgh City 
Competition: Under 15's Division 2 League Cup
Date: 01/02/15
The conditions for this game were good considering the weather we have been getting recently although it was very cold especially for those standing on the touch line.
The game started at a very slow pace as players tried to get acclimatised to the cold conditions even after a good warm up, early on in the game both teams where struggling to get there passing game going and this lead to very few attempts on goal being created. 
Spartans had the greater share of the ball but were lacking on the final pass until a through ball caught out the City defence and allowed Glen Aitken to sprint through and slot the ball past the advancing keeper to score against his former club.
Spartans should have built on this but despite falling behind the mid field of city worked tirlessly closing down and forcing Spartans into giving the ball away they got there just rewards when a ball dropped inside the box and it was fired into the right hand corner of the net despite the out stretched efforts of the keeper. This was no more than city deserved as they had worked hard to get back in the game and went in at half time all square.
Half Time : Spartans Reds 1-1 Edinburgh City
Both teams made substitutes at the beginning of the second half and again it was Spartans who started the brighter of the teams but coudnt get the goal they needed to push on in the second half
City where working hard and could see they might just be able to grab something out of this game and when they opened up the Spartans defence for a second time they got the goal there play deserved the ball breaking loose inside the box and the city player tucked it away in the keepers left hand corner this time from about 10 yards to give them a 2-1 advantage midway through the second half.
They continued to battle away but Spartans strength started to show through as they slowly took command of the game again and where know creating chances, a ball fired in from the right wing was met by Liam Philps and his goalward header was saved at point blank range by an instinctive save from the city keeper to save a certain goal. 
Spartans switched it around bringing Munro who was a stand in centre back for the day backup into the Mid field and this helped pin city back in to there own half for a spell.
As both teams huffed and puffed spartans where making the better chances and as the game moved into the latter stages Jake Kelly who had a quiet game up till know upped his game and came up with a great strike from ten yards outside the box into the corner of the net leaving the keeper with very little chance of getting a hand to it. 
Spartans sensed that they could go on for the winner and switched to three at the back as they searched for the winning goal and it was Jake Kelly once again who fired a fine high dipping shot from twenty five yards that beat the keeper and gave Spartans the lead.
Credit to City who tried pushing up late in the game  for an equaliser and nearly got it as Spartans gave away a needless free kick twenty yards out but the resulting free kick wasnt on target and Spartans seen the game out for a 3-2 victory in this league cup fixture.
Alan Downie the referee handled the game well and kept the game flowing in a well tempered game.
Full Time : Spartans Reds 3-2 Edinburgh City 
Login to post comments