Home My YFS

North Merchiston clinch a late winner against Redhall Star

Written by  Redhall Star YFC

Fixture: North Merchiston v Redhall Star YFC
Competition: Under 15's SERYFL Division 2
Venue: Harrison Park
Date: 01/02/15
Redhall Star 2000's took the short trip to Harrison Park to face league leaders North Merchiston. In a pulsating match which produced 5 goals, 3 yellows and a red card it was North Merchiston who pinched the points in the later stages. 
North Merchiston flew out the traps from the first whistle as they were first in the tackle and played the long ball over the top. Twice in the opening minutes they were in on goal but Redhall keeper Ryan Green pulled off two fine saves. 
The hosts took the lead after tem minutes with a shot from twenty five yards found the top corner. 
Redhall stormed back with Sam Donachie firing just wide, then Nathan Robertson had his effort from twenty yards saved. 
The visitors were soon to draw level after Rory Taylor played a fine ball through the centre which Nathan Robertson ran onto and fired past the keeper. 
Redhall were taking the game to Merchiston, who relied on the long ball over the top for their quick forwards to run onto. 
There were a couple of fierce challenges from both sides but the game was being played in a good spirit. Two good sides thrashing it out for control. 
Half Time : North Merchiston 1-1 Redhall Star  
The second half started with Redhall pushing forward with Donachie and Roberston forcing the home keeper into action. 
Just as it appeared the next goal would be for the visitors it was the home side who regained the lead after being awarded a soft free kick. Ewan Mitchell misjudged the flight of the ball forward with the home forward running onto it and firing past Green. 
Redhall came storming and soon levelled after a fine move had Marc Hannah crossing for Nathan Robertson to fire home his and Redhall's second goal. 
Redhall were creating many chances but just couldn't finish them off. 
The league leaders were being pinned back as the visitors pushed forward at every opportunity. 
Robertson and Donachie for Redhall were causing the home side problems. 
With Redhall on top they were dealt a blow when Marc Hannah received a second booking for a mistimed tackle. 
The ten men were still going for it as Donachie, Robertson and sub Graham all had chances to win the game but as we reached the final stages it was the home side who scored a third. A ball into the box was claimed by Green, who then ended up on the deck with the ball spilling loose. It rolled to a Merchiston player who knocked it into the empty net. The visitors screamed for a foul on Green and Rory Taylor received a yellow for his protests but the referee allowed the goal to stand. 
Full Time : North Merchiston 3-2 Redhall Star 
Login to post comments