Home My YFS

Easthouses secure a point against Spartans in added on time

Easthouses FC 2

Wyllie (6, 90+2)

Spartans FC Blues 2

O'Connor (9) Melville (29)
  • Sunday, 25 January 2015
  • Easthouses Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Division 2 League Cup

Easthouses scored in added on time to take a 2-2 draw and a share of the points in this League cup fixture.

A goal from Wyllie put the home side in front before O'Connor leveled for the visitors and then Melville doubled their lead but a last gasp added on time free kick from Wyllie saw the Midlothian team rescue a point.

The visitors got the game underway at a cold and breezy Easthouses Park but it was the home side came out of the blocks quickly and could have taken the lead in the second minute when Reece Wyllie found Joseph Queen on the right and after cutting inside he got a powerful shot away which Jamie Ross done well to save with his feet.

Easthouses were on the attack again and Aidan Young found Kieran McDougall on the edge of the box but he shot wide of the right hand post but their next attack was to prove more beneficial.

The whirlwind start by the home side was rewarded in the sixth minute when from eighteen yards out Wyllie opened the scoring after his drive found the far corner.

Spartans had a great opportunity to hit right back but Christian Oroz Storm failed to hit the target with his header after meeting a great ball in from the right only three yards out.

The visitors got on level terms on nine minutes when Angus O'Connor put his side level after a piece of individual brilliance. He picked up the ball just inside the Easthouse's half and ran nearly half the length of the park, out pacing the chasing defenders and then showed great composure to round the out rushing keeper and slot the ball home with a left foot finish.

See goal here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=854766064564793&set=vb.184845868223486&type=2&theater

Easthouses went looking for a quick reply when Wyllie played a long ball into Queen who beat the out rushing Ross but his touch just took the ball out for a goal kick.

The men from Ainslie Park should have hit the front with fourteen minutes on the clock but Storm totally miss kicked his shot from two yards out after being played in by Jonny Devers.

A long distance effort from Blair Melville went harmlessly beyond the right hand post then Melville came close again after getting on the end of a thirty five yard free kick but again his effort went wide of the same post again.

It was ebb and flow and it was Easthouses now looked to attack and it was the home side who were unlucky not to go back in front when Aiden Young came so close after some delightful footwork he produced a superb lob over the keeper to unfortunately see the ball come of the bar.

Lee Anderson produced a fine double save to stop his team going behind after a good move involving O'Connor when he laid off Devers but his shot was blocked by the tall agile keeper and then Lucas Arena Terry effort was turned round the post by Anderson for a corner.

Spartans should have then got their noses in front after a sublime ball in by Terry was headed over the bar from four yards out by Ben Scott.

The visitor's got the goal to go in front that they had been pushing for in the twenty ninth minute through a very strange goal indeed. Melville picked the ball up all off thirty yards out and decided to have a long range effort which seemed a bit optimistic but his low firm strike somehow managed to evade every one in the box and nestle in Anderson's right hand corner of his net.

Easthouse's came back at Spartans and Wyllie shot over the bar from distance then Anderson had to be alert at the other end when Melville played a ball over the top for O'Connor but the big keeper bravely saved at the Spartans man's feet.

A free kick for the home side from thirty yards out resulted in a bit of panic in the Spartans box when the ball played in by Wyllie bounced up just in front of the keeper and came of his chest with Young's follow up strike coming of the keeper and back off him and out for a goal kick.

Wyllie who seemed to be involved with everything for Easthouses was involved in the next chance for his side when he played a great ball into Queen who put his shot wide of the right hand upright with a minute of the half remaining and then they had the final chance of the half when Morgan Rutherford twisted and turned inside the opposition box but his shot was deflected off his own player for a goal kick.

  • Half Time:
  • Easthouses FC
  • 1-2
  • Spartans FC Blues

The home side got the second half underway after the interval but it was the visitors that were the one's pressing at the start of the second half with Easthouses happy just to clear the ball up field then a Spartans free kick from twenty five yards went well wide of the right hand post.

Easthouses then pushed forward and Darrin Waugh played a ball in the box for Rutherford but Spartans cleared.

The midfield was pretty congested and both teams looked to catch the other on the break and this was the case when Spartans sixteen broke up the park from a cleared ball and whipped in a great ball but it was just too long for his team mates.

Then Sebastian Smith played Spartans sixteen from the right but he put his shot wide of the right hand post for the visitors.

Easthouses started to get their game back on track and it was their turn to put the visitors under pressure. Firstly Rutherford played in a swerving ball into the box but Ross came off his line to claim then Rutherford played in Waugh eight yards out but his shot was deflected for a corner, the resulting corner went straight out from the kick.

Michael Sargent then produced a great quick turn and shot just grazing the near post for the home side and then Rutherford broke up field for them but Fraser Alison showed good pace to get back and put in a good tackle to clear the ball on the eighteen yard line.

Spartans O'Connor then was next to show ambition to get forward but Ryan Watson and Ryan Loy both combined well to halt his progress on the edge of the box.

Wyllie then shot wide of Spartans left hand post then Easthouses had to defend as Spartans again came forward and this time it was Alison providing the shot but Anderson saved well with his feet and Joshua Dall blasted the rebound over the bar from twelve yards out.

Ross in the Spartans goal had to use his feet to deny Rutherford from seven yards out then a free kick for Easthouses played in by Wyllie saw Gallagher's shot blocked then cleared by Leon Ronaldson.

Easthouses should had got back on level terms on seventy three minutes when Wyllie was again the supplier to Loy this time but he blasted his shot into the side netting.

With time running out Spartans were given a great chance to put the game to bed on the seveny seventh minute when they were awarded what looked a soft penalty after the visitors player seemed to go turn quickly and loose his footing.

But the referee pointed to the spot and Devers took responsibility and stepped up but his spot kick was straight down the middle and as Anderson had guessed right it was a easy catch for him without even having to dive.

A bit of a body blow for the visitors missing the penalty but into added on time they must have felt they had done enough to see out the game and go back down the road with the win.

Two minutes into added on time Easthouses were awarded a free kick twenty five yards out in line with the left hand post. Wyllie took the ball and placed it down and really only had one option and that was to play it low towards the right had post and hope someone could prode it home or get a deflection.

That is exactly what he did and his low driven shot traveled into the box and through the mass of legs to find the back of the net without touching anyone to level the game with the last kick of the ball.

A cracking game for the neutral which had everything, goals, penalties, saves, tackles and also good football and after all is said and done a draw was the fair result with both teams giving their all in this exciting match.

Easthouses FC are away to Livingston FCBC in the League whilst Spartans Blues have a free week.

  • Full Time:
  • Easthouses FC
  • 2-2
  • Spartans FC Blues


Easthouses FC
Spartans FC Blues

1. Lee Anderson
2. Joseph Queen
3. Kieran McDougal
4. Cole Allen
5. Jed Morrison
7. Ryan Watson
8. Reece Wyllie
9. Darin Waugh&
10. Michael Sargent
11. Morgan Rutherford
12. Daniel Gallagher
14. Aidan Young
15. Rory Machray
16. Shaun Aitken
17. Ryan Loy
18. Samuel Rutherford

1. Jamie Ross
3. Andrew Thomson
4. Leon Ronaldson
5. Blair Melville
6. Cameron Smith
7. Tommy Sprio
8. Christian Oroz Storm
9. Sebastian Smith
10. Jonny Devers
11. Fraser Allison
12. Joshua Dall
17. Jack Mainnie
18. Angus O'Connor
23. Jacques Couty
24. Lucas Arena Terry
26. Ben Scott

Star Player
Easthouses FC
Spartans FC Blues
Reece Wyllie - A big strong player who looks to create from midfield and shows he has an eye for goal as he showed with him getting both goals for his team.
Jamie Ross - several players could have got this but the big keeper gets the nod as he pulled off numerous quality stops in the second half to keep his team ahead in the game and was unfortunate to concede in added on time after such a good display especially in the latter stages of the game.
Magic Moment
Easthouses FC
Spartans FC Blues
Aiden Young came so close to putting his side in front again in the first half after some delightful footwork he produced a superb lob over the keeper to unfortunately see the ball come of the bar.
Angus O'Connor's goal to get his side on level terms was a thing of individual brilliance as he ran nearly half the length of the park, out pacing the chasing defenders and then showed great composure to round the out rushing keeper and slot the ball home.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments