Home My YFS

Penicuik Athletic come out on top in twelve goal thriller

Written by  Penicuik Athletic YFC


Penicuik Athletic YFC
Cramond FC
Under 13's SERYFA Division 3
24 January 2015
This SERYFA 3rd Division League match saw the two teams meeting for the 3rd time this season. It was also only PAYFC's 3rd home match in all competitions this season, and subsequently it attracted the largest group of home spectators to date The first meeting of the teams in the Ken Ritchie Cup saw a convincing victory for Cramond, while the second saw PAYFC surrender a good lead and have to settle for a draw. PAYFC were therefore well focussed and motivated by the chance to win on home soil in front of their friends and family against the team that were also currently sitting at the top of the league.
The referee for the match was Andrew Burrell, and from the first whistle Penicuik Athletic caught Cramond on the back foot and had established a three goal lead after only eleven minutes (with goals from Ben Viola, Robbie McNeill, and Jamie Dunlop). 
Following which Cramond pulled one back (through Craig Stewart) after twenty one minutes. 
However, Penicuik Athletic extended their lead further with another two goals (by Jamie Dunlop and Ethan Mooney) and the first half ended 5-1. 
Half Time : Penicuik Athletic YFC 5-1 Cramond FC
Cramond remained undeterred and were the first to score in the second half with a goal in the fiftieth minute (by Calvin Catala). 
However, Penicuik Athletic responded quickly scoring twice in two minutes, (both by Ben Viola) with the first being from the penalty spot following the goalkeeper bringing the player down in the box. Then a second a minute later where he again broke through, and this time chipped the onrushing keeper. 
Similar to the last meeting of the teams Cramond then took control of the game and scored three goals in six minutes (two from Aidan Savage and another from Craig Stewart) to set up a nail biting last 5 minutes. 
However, neither side were able to add further to their goal tally. So at the full time whistle, and with each side having dominated a half, the final score was 7-5 to Penicuik Athletic
The game was played in a very sporting manner and both teams were a credit to their respective clubs. For the spectators it was also an exciting and entertaining end to end match but the last 5 minutes were not for the faint hearted"
Full Time : Penicuik Athletic YFC 7-5 Cramond FC
Login to post comments