Home My YFS

Shotts on target against Dalkeith in the quarter final

Dalkeith Miners 2

Hyndman 2 & 42

Shotts Vics 6

Sweeney 22 & 56 & 78, Sharif 61, Gray 68 & 73
  • Sunday, 25 January 2015
  • Cowden Park
  • Under 15´s
  • South East Region Cup
Chris Grieve

Chris Grieve | YFS South East Region Journalist

Shotts Vics provided too strong for Dalkeith Miners in the fourth round of the South East Region cup as they ran out 6-2 winners. The cup tie was closer than the scoreline suggested but the game got away from Dalkeith in the end.
It was Dalkeith who started the game the quickest firing ahead in the opening minutes. A ball through from Robbie Yuill was latched onto by Alexander Hyndman who made no mistake from close range.
The goal lifted the confidence of the home side and they pushed forward looking for a second. Melvin Muturi found space on the edge of the box but his powerful shot was tipped wide by Lee Quinn in goal for Shotts.
That chance sparked Shotts into life. Cameron Murray forced Max Gordon-Tennant into a save at his near post before Murray cracked a shot off a post minutes later.
Both teams were settling into the game well and the cup tie was becoming a tasty prospect. Shotts grabbed an equaliser when the ball broke to Kieran Sweeney at the edge of the box. He brought the ball down, turned the defender and rattled a low shot across the keeper into the far corner.
Shotts began to increase their control on the game and forced another good chance before the break. James Fisher took the ball from a lay off by Murray and swept a low shot goalwards but Gordon-Tennant was equal to it, saving at his near post. 
  • Half Time:
  • Dalkeith Miners
  • 1-1
  • Shotts Vics
The second half set off at a frantic pace with Dalkeith restoring their lead, Hyndman took his second goal of the game following a cutback from Sam Devlin. He found himself in space in the Shotts box and angled a shot high into the net beyond Quinn.
Murray was constantly a threat for Shotts and he was creating chances for his teammates throughout. His latest effort saw him forge a strong run down the right before powering a low cross which flashed across the face of the goal; unluckily for Shotts there were no takers.
Shotts were pushing for an equaliser and eventually their efforts were rewarded. Murray laid the ball wide to Josh Gray who cracked a ferocious shot off the near post but the rebound fell kindly to Sweeney who had the simplest of tasks to roll the ball home.
The tie was really closely fought at this stage and the game could’ve gone either way. Dalkeith were next to come close with a great run and cross from Devlin, Ben Mitchell getting on the end of it but watched in disbelief as his header came crashing back off the crossbar.
Seconds later Shotts took the lead, and what a goal it was! A cross into the box was punched clear by Gordon-Tennant but it fell kindly for Zaid Sharif who smashed a half-volley into the top corner from outside the box.
The goal came at a good time for Shotts who started to exert some dominance on the game and pressed further ahead with a fourth goal. Sweeney flicked the ball on at the edge of the area for Gray to roll the ball past the keeper.
Dalkeith were still in the tie at this stage and the game was still very even. Shotts however won a freekick on the edge of the box and with the aid of a deflection Gray notched his second goal of the game as the ball nestled into the bottom corner.
Dalkeith weren’t finished yet though and Shotts had Quinn to thank when Hyndman found space to unleash a powerful shot. The shot was saved by Quinn and the follow-up was equally blocked by the keeper to keep the Dalkeith score at two.
With the game nearing its conclusion there was time for Shotts to add one more goal to their tally. Sweeney picked up a loose ball near the halfway line and set off at speed towards the goal. He beat his man for pace before outmuscling the defender and sliding the ball into the far corner. It was a great individual goal and it rounded things off nicely for Shotts who progressed to the next round of the cup. 
  • Full Time:
  • Dalkeith Miners
  • 2-6
  • Shotts Vics


Dalkeith Miners
Shotts Vics
1. Max Gordon-Tennant
2. Sam Devlin
4. Melvin Muturi
5. Liam Hosie
6. Alexander Hyndman
7. Stuart Hall
8. Glenn Prio
9. Euan Mitchell <
10. Ryan Ferguson
11. Jack Burrows
16. Ben Mitchell
17. Robbie Yuill
18. Matthew Beattie
1. Lee Quinn
2. Zaid Sharif
3. Robson Russell
4. Jamie Robertson
5. Daniel McKeown
6. Kyle Buckle
8. Aiden Burns
9. Kieran Sweeney
10. Shaun McIllduff
11. Kyle Clelland
12. Thomas Haggerty
13. Josh Gray
14. Callum Forest
15. Blair Boyd
16. James Fisher
17. Cameron Murray
Star Player
Dalkeith Miners
Shotts Vics
Alexander Hyndman was at the heart of everything that Dalkeith did and managed to grab two goals for his team. Was unlucky not to complete his hat trick late in the game.
Cameron Murray was a real threat up front and created a few good chances but a hat trick for Sweeney was the highlight on a good day for Shotts.
Magic Moment
Dalkeith Miners
Shotts Vics
Grabbing a goal so early in the game helped to settle the nerves and put them ahead in what was a very evenly contested cup tie.
The third goal was a thing of real beauty and sent Shotts on their way into the fifth round. The technique on the half-volley to keep the shot on target was excellent and the celebration of the team showed how important the goal was for the away side.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments