Home My YFS

Eleven is all you need, as ALC dump Lewis out the cup

Lewis United 1

Mitchell 69

ALC Athletic 3

Kerr 39, OG 45, OG 65
  • Sunday, 18 January 2015
  • Garioch Leisure Centre
  • Under 15´s
  • Belmont Trophy

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Lewis United are out of the Belmont Trophy after losing 3-1 to ALC Athletic, just two weeks before their crunch Scottish Youth Cup quarter final tie with Hamilton Accies. ALC booked their place in the fourth round despite only having 11 players available for the match. They took the lead a minute before half time when Scott Kerr finished off a quick counter attack. Two second half own goals all but secured the victory for the visitors, with substitute Calum Mitchell scoring a consolation goal for Lewis.

The game was one of the eight matches out of Sunday’s 43 fixtures to beat the freeze. The venue for the third round match changed from Uniconn Park to the 3G pitch at the Garioch Leisure Centre in Inverurie to ensure it went ahead. 

Home side Lewis United started in the ascendancy with striker Mitchell Foy looking particularly lively. Foy’s neat footwork and shot from 20 yards brought the first save of the game after three minutes from ALC goalkeeper Euan Rose. 

That was a sign of things to come for Lewis who were reduced to long range efforts for the majority of the first half. They created their first clear cut chance after 24 minutes when midfielder Alan Oldroyd capitalised on a loose touch to go through on goal but his low shot was parried out for a corner by Rose.

The hosts continued to enjoy the lion’s share of possession with little in the way of chances to show for it. Brian Mair’s high cross was headed over by Liam Norris and striker Gregory Barclay failed to react quickly enough to a free kick that dropped for him in the middle of the 18-yard box. 

It looked like the first half would end goalless until ALC set off on a rare counter attack which resulted in striker Scott Kerr finding time and space in the penalty area to slot the ball past the previously inactive Calum MacDonald in goal for Lewis. 

  • Half Time:
  • Lewis United
  • 0-1
  • ALC Athletic

Judging on the first half, you would have been forgiven for thinking that goal would have given Lewis United the kick up the backside they needed to go on and win the game. But, to their credit, it was ALC Athletic who kicked on and doubled their lead.

An aerial challenge between goalkeeper MacDonald and ALC midfielder Jay Murphy saw the ball bounce towards the empty goal and, in his attempts to clear the ball from danger, defender James Crampshee inadvertently sliced the ball off the upright and into the net. 

ALC looked much more threatening in the second period and missed chances to go 3-0 up. First, Kerr shot high and wide after bursting through on goal. Then, Finlay Stalker shot straight at MacDonald from six yards after being teed up by Kerr. 

Despite ALC’s danger on the break, Lewis continued to push men forward in an attempt to get back into the tie. 

A defining two minutes in the match began with Lewis’ Mair hitting the post after good interchange with Norris and ended with ALC making it 3-0. After that scare, which may well have changed the outcome of the game, the away side went up the other end of the pitch and Kerr’s header from 14 yards struck the post and hit the diving MacDonald before trickling over the line.

Lewis did finally get the goal their pressure had deserved after 69 minutes. Substitute Calum Mitchell latched on to a pass in the penalty area and cooly side-footed the ball into the corner of the goal. 

Lewis United pushed for another goal in the final 10 minutes but the closest they came was Barclay’s shot from 10 yards which was right down the throat of ‘keeper Rose. 

Despite sitting five points below their opponents in the table and having only 11 players to call upon, ALC probably merited their victory thanks to their strong defensive unit and general ruthlessness going forward. 

  • Full Time:
  • Lewis United
  • 1-3
  • ALC Athletic


Lewis United
ALC Athletic
  • 1. Calum MacDonakd
  • 2.James Crampshee
  • 3. Brian Mair
  • 4. Alan Oldroyd
  • 5. James Robson
  • 6. Kieran Simpson
  • 7. Aiden Taylor
  • 8. Cameron Cook
  • 9. Gregory Barclay
  • 12. Scott Gray
  • 14. Liam Norris
  • 15. Calum Mitchell
  • 16. Alex Ogolvie
  • 17. Alex Kelly
  • 18. Jamie Morrison
  • 19. Mitchell Foy
  • 1. Euan Rose
  • 2. Taylor McBain
  • 3. Mitchell Hepburn
  • 4. Matthew Clark
  • 8. Finlay Stalker
  • 9. Lewis Ifi
  • 10. Scott Kerr
  • 11. Jay Murphy 
  • 14. Ritchie Troup
  • 15. Frankie Stewart
  • 16. Connor Towler
Star Player
Lewis United
ALC Athletic
Brian Mair at right back for Lewis put in some great crosses in the first half that were not rewarded with great finishes. His determination to make things happen in a frustrating performance for his team was evident for Lewis. Also struck the middle of the post after good play with his winger Liam Norris.
Matthew Clark in defence, and Jay Murphy in midfield were both outstanding for ALC. But, it was Scott Kerr's quality that won the game for the visitors and for that, he deserves this accolade.
Magic Moment
Lewis United
ALC Athletic
Calum Mitchell's goal gave them a glimmer of hope with 11 minutes plus stoppage time remaining, but it wasn't to be.
Their first goal through Scott Kerr was a big reward and catalyst for them after 40 minutes of well-organised and resolute defending.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments