Home My YFS

Middlefield beat Colony in Belmont trophy

Middlefield Wasps 4

A. Mitchell 1, Helinski 21, McKeown 57, 71

Colony Colts 4

Liddell 30, Beverley 36, 73, Watson 61
  • Full Time: Middlefield Wasps 4-4 Colony Colts (6-5 PEN)
  • Sunday, 05 October 2014
  • Beach Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Belmont Trophy

Chris Cromar | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

Middlefield Wasps beat Colony Colts 6-5 on penalties after a 4-4 draw in the first round of the Belmont Trophy in an entertaining match at Balmedie’s Beach Park. In an eight goal thriller it was the lottery of the penalty shootout that ensured victory for the Wasps of the B League against the Colts of the C League.
With just a minute on the clock Middlefield took the look as Alistair Mitchell’s shot from the left hand side of the box found the back of the net to get the hosts off to a fantastic start.
Middlefield looked to add to their lead as Marcelin Helinski’s shot from the left of the box went over the crossbar. Three minutes later Colony had their chance of the match when Jamie Maciver pass found Aaron Bowie, whose shot from the left went wide of the target.
Middlefield made it 2-0 in the 21st minute as Helinski turned outside the box and his shot from the right found the back of the net to double Middlefield’s advantage. Colony looked for a response and two minutes later nearly pulled one back as Jamie Reid’s shot from inside the box was saved by Middlefield’s Matthew Noble to keep the score line at 2-0.
Colony pulled a goal back with five minutes of the half remaining as Murray Liddell’s shot from the edge of the box found the back of the net to reduce the deficit to one and give Colony a lifeline.
Colony equalised just before half time as Connor Macleod’s pass found Scott Beverley who slotted home for the Colts’ second goal in the space of six minutes for the equaliser. Colony could have went into half time into the lead as Macleod’s shot from the right hand side of the box was well saved by Middlefield’s Noble.
  • Half Time:
  • Middlefield Wasps
  • 2-2
  • Colony Colts
Middlefield started the second half looking to regain their lead and had two chances in the opening two minutes, as JJ Gibson’s shot from outside the box went wide and Reece McKeown had a shot saved by Colony’s Steven Hutcheson after being set up by Cameron Mann.
Two more chances followed for Middlefield as McKeown’s run and shot from the right of the box went wide of the target, then Helinski had an effort from outside the box saved by the Colony goalkeeper.
Middlefield did retain their lead as McKeown’s shot from inside the box found the back of the net to put the hosts back into the lead after being pegged back to 2-2 after going 2-0 ahead.
Four minutes later Colony Colts equalised to make it 3-3 as Lewis Watson’s long range effort from outside the box found the net to make it all square again in what was turning out to be a fantastic game of football.
Both teams had the opportunity to take the lead within a minute of each other, first Middlefield’s Brian Carr had an effort saved, then Colony had their chance as Maciver found Macleod whose low shot was well saved by Middlefield’s replacement goalkeeper Lewis Mitchell.
Middlefield retained the lead with nine minutes of the match left as the midfielder Lewis Mitchell’s pass found McKeown whose run into the box saw him hit a powerful shot that found the back of the net for his second goal of the game to make it 4-3 to Middlefield in this classic cup tie.
Two minutes later it was 4-4 as Colony equalised as Maciver’s pass found Beverley whose shot hit the post on the way in to score his second and the eighth goal of the match.
Middlefield had two good chances in the closing stages to get the victory, firstly McKeown’s shot was saved with Carr’s rebound also saved by Hutcheson in goal, then Benoit Thies’ shot from outside the box was saved by the goalkeeper.
  • Full Time:
  • Middlefield Wasps
  • 4-4
  • Colony Colts
There was only one chance of note in extra time as Middlefield’s McKeown had an effort from inside the left of the box well saved by the Colony goalkeeper as the game entered the lottery of a penalty shootout for a place in the second round of the Belmont Trophy.

Penalty shootout:
C: Macleod scores 0-1
M: Carr scores 1-1
C: Reid scores 1-2
M: Inkster scores 2-2
C: Liddell scores 2-3
M: McKeown scores 3-3
C: Beverley scores 3-4
M: Mann scores 4-4
C: Allan scores 4-5
M: Helinski scores 5-5
C: Mackintosh penalty saved by Noble 5-5
M: Lewis Mitchell (MF) scores 6-5

Middlefield won 6-5 on penalties

In the end Middlefield won the penalty shootout after a great save by Noble allowed midfielder Lewis Mitchell to score the winning penalty, but Colony can still be pleased with their effort of taking a B League team all the way to extra time and penalties.

Final Result: Full Time: Middlefield Wasps 4-4 Colony Colts (6-5 PEN)


Middlefield Wasps
Colony Colts
1 Matthew Noble
2 Benoit Thies
3 Cameron Mann
4 Lewis Mitchell
5 Robbie Inkster
6 Ryan McKay
7 Owen McKenzie
8 Marcelin Helinski
9 JJ Gibson
10 Alistair Mitchell
11 Brian Carr
12 Reece McKeown
21 Lewis Mitchell (GK)
1 Steven Hutcheson
2 Kyle Sutherland
3 Owen Mackintosh
4 Ross Allan
5 Lewis Ironside
6 Lewis Watson
7 Jamie Reid
8 Aaron Bowie
9 Scott Macleod
10 Lewis Paver
11 Euan Clark
15 Murray Liddell
16 Jamie Maciver
17 Tyler Sim
20 Scott Beverley
Star Player
Middlefield Wasps
Colony Colts
Reece McKeown: The substitute scored two goals for his side, then scored one in the shootout and was always full of running and looking to create opportunities for his team.
Scott Beverley: Scored two goals for his side and was always full of running as he looked to create chances for his team.
Magic Moment
Middlefield Wasps
Colony Colts
Reece McKeown’s second goal and his team’s fourth of the match was a great run and a great strike that any striker would be proud of.
Lewis Watson’s strike from the edge of the box that found the back of the net to make it 3-3 was a fantastic strike and deserved to find the back of the net.
Club Views
Middlefield Wasps
Colony Colts
Manager Mark McCready was “happy” that his team got through to the next round of the tournament and was “delighted” that his team were composed enough to win the penalty shootout.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments