Home My YFS

Colony count the cost of first half red card as they go down fighting at Culter

Culter Colts 3

Davidson 2. Innes 40. Corthals 47.

Colony Park 2

Beattie 35. Hinks 68
  • Sunday, 21 September 2014
  • Kaimhill
  • Under 15´s
  • SoccerWorld League A

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Colony Park’s tough start to the new season continued on Sunday when they lost 3-2 to Culter Colts. Colony went into the game on the back of three defeats from three league games and their cause was not helped when they had defender Callum Jones sent off in the first half. Goals from Ross Davidson, Rory Innes and Ryan Corthals secured Culter’s second successive 3-2 victory, after they beat Banchory by the same score line last time out. Lewis Beattie and Harrison Hinks netted for Colony but it was not enough to secure their first points of the season.
Culter Colts made a quick start to the match and opened the scoring after only two minutes. The home side were awarded a free kick on the left wing and Ross Davidson struck an in-swinging shot which flew into the far top corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance. 
Culter were buoyed by that and continued to press Colony. A good team move which involved four or five players saw Josh Peters lean back and fire over from 10 yards.
The hosts remained in the ascendency for the remainder of the first half but failed to double their lead. 
Culter were made to pay for their impotency in front of goal when Colony Park equalised in the 35th minute. Outstanding play by midfielder Stuart Simmond on the left wing saw him beat three opponents before playing a one-two with Lewis Beattie which led to Simmond breaking free and pulling the ball back for Beattie who arrowed the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards to make it 1-1.
After working hard to go into the interval level, Colony then shot themselves in the foot just before the half time whistle. Culter’s Ryan Corthals pounced on a loose ball in the penalty area and prodded the ball over the goalkeeper. The ball looked destined for the net until defender Callum Jones intervened and instinctively punched the ball away from goal. The referee had little choice but to send Jones off. Culter’s Rory Innes took the penalty and confidently side footed the ball into the corner and away from the goalkeeper’s reach.
  • Half Time:
  • Culter Colts
  • 2-1
  • Colony Park
Now down to 10 men, Colony’s half time plan would have been to keep it tight and stay in the game. But they conceded again seven minutes into the second half. Corthals found too much time and space in the penalty box and was able to slot the ball home from eight yards.
Two goals up and with a numerical advantage, Culter would have been confident about seeing the remainder of the game out without too much fuss and made a number of substitutions after their third goal.
It looked like Culter would do just that, as they created a number of chances to increase their lead. Good play by David Abad set free Corthals but he could only drag his shot wide from the left of the 18-yard box. 
The longer the game went on, the more 10-man Colony grew in confidence and a system change which saw them go three at the back sparked a late fight back.
Colony’s Adam Smith played in teammate Harrison Hinks but he could only stab the ball wide of goal under pressure from a couple of defenders.
Hinks then went one better after 68 minutes. A long, lofted free kick struck the Culter crossbar and Hinks reacted first to head the rebound into the net from four yards. 
This ensured a nervous last 12 minutes for Culter (20 minutes including stoppage time) who appeared to be in cruise control at the beginning of the second period.
For all their huffing and puffing, Colony couldn’t create that one last chance. The closest the came was Smith’s long-range strike which went narrowly wide.
  • Full Time:
  • Culter Colts
  • 3-2
  • Colony Park


Culter Colts
Colony Park
1. James Whyte
2. Harry Browne
3. Alex Dalziel
4. Calum Lynch
5. Aidan Wilkinson
6. Iain Wilson
8. Scott Coutts
9. Finlay Cook
11. Alex Cheyne
12. Ryan Corthals
14. Greg Lees
15. Jay Leiper
16. Josh Peters
18. Ross Davidson
19. David Abad
21. Rory Innes

6. Callum Taylor
7. Harrison Hinks
8. Stuart Simmond
9. Callum Seymour
10. Rian Wilson
11. Adam Smith
12. Keith Robertshaw
14. Lewis Beattie
16. Lewis Weetman
19. Jamie Seatter
26. Kieran Gilbert
27. Alex Duncan
29. Callum Jones

Star Player
Culter Colts
Colony Park
Finlay Cook was a rock at the back for Culter throughout, particularly when they came under sustained pressure late on. Sharp in the tackle and covered his teammates constantly. As well as all of that, he played the game in good faith. As his teammate went down in the opposing penalty and his manager screamed for a penalty, Finlay shouted that his opponent had won the ball fairly.
Stuart Simmond was absolutely fantastic for Colony. Playing in central midfield, Simmond was neat and tidy on the ball. Constantly trying to make things happen, he created their first goal with a brilliant solo run up the left wing.
Magic Moment
Culter Colts
Colony Park
Ross Davidson's opening goal came within two minutes and gave Culter the advantage in this game from the very beginning. Not only that, but it was a great strike which gave the goalkeeper no chance.
Their first goal was a brilliantly worked goal between two players, Stuart Simmond and Lewis Beattie. A great solo run from Simmond, which included a one-two with Beattie, saw the midfielder square the ball for Beattie to score and make it 1-1.
Club Views
Culter Colts
Colony Park
Culter Colts manager, Mike Horgan, said: "We made that quite tough for ourselves, we made it very tough. We are grateful to get the win because that was two very good teams out there. "I think it was a fair result. I think Colony will be disappointed they didn't grab a draw but I think on the balance of chances we deserved the win."
Graham Cheyne, manager of Colony Park, said: "I thought we were the better team down to 10 men. I think we had the better chances but if you don't take those chances they mean nothing. We pressed well in the second half but we just couldn't get that break in front of goal. "We reenergised for the second half and the boys did well. Disappointed, really disappointed to lose."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments