Home My YFS

Westdyke U14's make it to the SoccerWorld League A

Westdyke Thistle 8

Buggie 16, 20. Nelson 67, 70. Garden 74. Abel 78. Grant 85, 88.

Huntly 5

Black 11. Murray 23. Scott 50, 86. Morrison 55.
  • After Extra-Time: Westdyke Thistle 8-5 Huntly FC
  • Sunday, 31 August 2014
  • Aulton
  • Under 14´s
  • League A/B play off

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Westdyke Thistle proved for the second week running that they’re not afraid to go the distance as they defeated Huntly 8-5 after extra time to cement their place in this season’s SoccerWorld League A. Westdyke were 4-2 down with five minutes of normal time to play, and staring defeat in the face, until they snatched two late goals, including one with the last kick of the game to force extra time. That late reprieve was the catalyst for Westdyke to go on and win the game. This game followed last week’s semi final victory over Colony Park, whom they defeated 4-3 on penalties. 
Huntly also went the distance in their semi final last week, defeating Deveronvale 5-4 after extra time. So, extra-time really was inevitable here.
Westdyke started the match in the ascendency but it was Huntly who took the lead against the run of play after 11 minutes. One long straight ball cut through the Westdyke defence like a knife through butter and striker Shane Black capitalised, dinking the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper from eight yards.
Huntly’s lead never lasted long as they conceded an equaliser just five minutes after opening the scoring. Westdyke striker Vincent Buggie took an in-swinging corner and the ball missed everyone before eventually finding the far corner of the net.
Westdyke were then given the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot, but captain Stuart Rodgers fired over from 12 yards.
The game then took the first turnaround of many as Westdyke took the lead just 10 minutes after going behind. Winger Joel Yule broke free up the left wing and his pinpoint cross was diverted into the net by Buggie from four yards.
Bizarrely, Huntly then equalised in the exact same fashion as their opponents; direct from a corner kick. Marcus Finlay Murray’s drilled corner snuck past the goalkeeper and into the net at the near post. 
Before the half-time whistle blew, there was still time for Huntly to follow in their opponents footsteps once again, this time in missing a penalty. Struan Morrison was fouled in the box and he took the resulting penalty but his kick went wide of the goal.
  • Half Time:
  • Westdyke Thistle
  • 2-2
  • Huntly
Huntly may have started the first half rather sluggishly but they couldn’t have been accused of that in the second period. They came out the blocks after the interval and took the lead on 50 minutes. Lee Scott showed his pace and power, skipping by a couple of defenders before firing the ball high into the goal from the right of the penalty area, giving the goalkeeper no chance.
They then doubled their lead five minutes later and Scott was again involved. His long-range free-kick was palmed away by the goalkeeper but Morrison was on hand to fire in the rebound from a tight angle.
Huntly appeared to be in cruise control at this point but their admirable refusal to shut up shop eventually cost them. 
Leading 4-2 with two minutes left to play, Huntly were caught with too many players up the field and Westdyke counter attacked which led to Kyran Garden teeing up Byron Nelson to poke the ball home from six yards.
Again, with seconds left to play, Huntly were caught and Buggie stormed up the right wing before crossing for the unmarked Nelson who bundled the ball into the net with the very last kick of normal time to force extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Westdyke Thistle
  • 4-4
  • Huntly
That late equalising goal by Nelson had a major effect on extra time as Westdyke used that momentum to go on and win the game, while it clearly had a detrimental affect on Huntly, who were literally seconds away from victory.

But the most influential moment of extra time and the one that really decided the game came after four minutes. Huntly looked destined to score when substitute Chelsi Shanks shot 10 yards from goal but a brilliant save by stand-in goalkeeper Rodgers (who was playing centre-back before goalkeeper Michael Whelan was forced off injured) denied them. And from Rodger’s save Westdyke countered and from Buggie’s saved shot at the opposite end, Garden followed up to make it 5-4 Westdyke.

The first goal in extra time is usually pivotal and Westdyke doubled their lead just before the interval after they were awarded another penalty. This time Steven Abel stepped up and he hit the ball high into the top lefthand corner, giving goalkeeper Brogan Fraser no chance.

Huntly were dead on their feet at this point and Westdyke further added to their misery with a seventh goal. After riding a couple of challenges, striker Shaun Grant eventually rounded the goalkeeper and rolled the ball into the empty net.

To their credit, Huntly never stopped playing and they were rewarded with a consolation goal after they were awarded the fourth penalty of the match. This time Scott took the spot kick and he fired hard and high into the roof of the net.

The scoring was then rounded off by Westdyke, making it 8-5 with a minute to go. Grant scored his second goal of extra time when he beat the offside trap and cooly lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper from 10 yards.

Final Result: After Extra-Time: Westdyke Thistle 8-5 Huntly FC


Westdyke Thistle
1. Michael Whelan
2. Andrew Mcrae
3. Shaun Grant
4. Cameron Furrie
6. Kyran Garden
7. Bailey Yule
8. Stuart Rodgers
9. Daniel Tait
12. Joel Yule
14. Loughlin Patterson
15. Joel Shaju
17. Byron Nelson
19. Ryan Parker
20. Stewart Abel
24. Vincent Buggie
1. Brogan Fraser
2. David Kaniewski
3. Gregor Whyte
4. Jack Craib
5. Gavin Cameron
6. Kane Cooper
7. Marcus Finlay Murray
8. Ryan Christie
9. Marc Winchester
12. Shane Black
13. Struan Morrison
15. Chelsi Shanks
16. Aaron Anderson
19. Lee Scott
Star Player
Westdyke Thistle
Vincent Buggie scored the first two goals for his team and set up the all-important fourth and equalising goal. Strong and direct running throughout, if his final product was better on the day, he would have had a dozen of goals.
Lee Scott was brilliant for Huntly in the middle of the park. He controlled things for Huntly and was at the heart of everything good they did. Also got his name on the scoresheet twice.
Magic Moment
Westdyke Thistle
The fourth goal which took the game to extra-time with the last kick of normal time. It looked like they were destined for another year in the B League until Nelson's intervention.
Morrison great finish from a tight angle gave Huntly a comfortable cushion in the second half. After that goal, it looked like Huntly would be playing in the A League for another year. But it wasn't to be.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments