Home My YFS

Dons finish third over Dundee

Dundee FC 1

Milne 29

Aberdeen FC 1

Hutchison 59
  • After Extra-Time: Dundee FC 1-3 Aberdeen FC
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • King's Playing Fields
  • Under 16´s
  • Denis Law Tournament
Aberdeen finished third in the fourth edition of the Denis Law Tournament after beating Dundee by three goals to one after extra time at King’s Playing Fields. Goals from Lewis Hutchison, Bruce Anderson and Connor McLennan secured bronze for the Dons, despite falling behind to a strike in the first-half by Scott Milne who gave the Dees the lead.
The first real chance of the match came in the fourth minute when Aberdeen’s Bruce Anderson saw a long range shot just go over the bar. Aberdeen had another chance ten minutes later. Some neat build-up play by Andrew Youngson and Bruce Anderson set-up Jamie Buglass, whose shot was well saved by Dundee’s David Beattie.
Despite Aberdeen’s good start, Dundee was starting to have chances of their own. Their first effort came when Ben Mooney shot just wide. Dundee’s Cameron Tough also had a shot tipped onto the bar by Aberdeen’s David Craddock.
Dundee eventually made the pressure tell. Scott Milne gave them the lead in the 29th minute after a cross was swung in by Max Avolio and he headed home for the Dens Park side.
Dundee were buoyed by the goal and had three good efforts to extend their late before the interval. Ross Cunningham had an attempt that just went over the Aberdeen crossbar and good interplay by Alex Gibb and Scott Milne saw the ball go straight across the face of the ball with no takers on hand to finish off the move.
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-0
  • Aberdeen FC
At the start of the second half, Dundee continued to put pressure on the Dons, with three attempts failing to find the goal. One free kick, a shot, and a chip from the left that went over.
Aberdeen were beginning to find their rhythm and had their first attempt of the second half when a Bruce Anderson effort was saved brilliantly by the fingertips of David Beattie.
But their efforts soon paid off. Some good build up play saw a Lewis Hutchison shot from the right hand side beat the keeper and find the net for the equaliser.
Both teams had chances to take the lead. Dundee goalkeeper David Beattie was in fine form, saving three attempts in five minutes to keep the scores level.
The Dundee goal was also seemingly leading a charmed life after Aberdeen hit the bar twice in the closing four minutes. First from Connor McLennan and then Conor Strachan.
With the scores level after eighty minutes of football extra time beckoned for these two sides.
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 1-1
  • Aberdeen FC
The only effort in a stale first half of extra time saw a free kick by Dundee’s Josh Moncrieff easily saved by Aberdeen’s David Craddock.

But it only took Aberdeen a minute to break the deadlock in the second period. Bruce Anderson’s shot finding the back of the net.

The goal spurred Aberdeen into action and Anderson shot just wide two minutes later.

It was all over for Dundee seconds later, as Lewis Hutchison fed the ball through to Connor McLennan who calmly finished, securing bronze for the Dons.

In the final minute, Aberdeen could have had a fourth, but Jamie Buglass’ effort went just wide of the target.

Final Result: After Extra-Time: Dundee FC 1-3 Aberdeen FC


Dundee FC
Aberdeen FC
1. Robbie Paterson
2. Greg Warwick
3. Liam Gibb
4. Kerr Waddell
5. Josh Moncreiff
6. Ryan Lamond
7. Max Avolio
8. Ross Cunningham
9. Scott Milne
10. Alex Gibb
11. Lloyd Spowart
12. David Beattie
14. Ben Mooney
15. Owen Dixon
16. Cameron Tough
17. Adam Brown
18. Liam Fitzsimmons
19. Bailey Steele
20. Josh McKenzie
1 Reece Willison
2 Darren Hynes
3 Bradley Strachan
4 Rory MacEwan
5 Bradley Manson
6 Stewart Rennie
7 Jamie Buglass
8 Liam Strachan
9 Connor McLennan
10 Bruce Anderson
11 Seyon Kosheodo
12 Liam Morrison 
14 Andrew Youngson
15 Lewis Wilson
16 Lewis Hutchison
17 Conor Strachan
18 Laurie Cunningham
19 David Danga
20 David Craddock
Star Player
Dundee FC
Aberdeen FC
Cameron Tough had a good game for the Dees, he made good attacking runs and had an effort well saved by the Aberdeen goalkeeper. Always looking to get involved and make things happen for his team.
Laurie Cunningham had a blinder of a game; he scored Aberdeen’s equaliser and also got an assist for the Dons. Always willing to make runs and get his side into dangerous positions. A top game and one to watch for the future.
Magic Moment
Dundee FC
Aberdeen FC
David Beattie’s fingertip save to deny Aberdeen in the first-half. Bruce Anderson’s dipping long range effort looked destined to rustle the back of the net, but an outstanding save by Beattie, who showed great athleticism kept the shot out.
The pass by Laurie Cunningham and the finish by Conor McLennan that sealed third place for Aberdeen. Good build up play and a calm and composed finish to take bronze.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments