Home My YFS

Ross is the Mann in Allan Park goal fest

Written by 
Peterhead Academy
Bucksburn Academy
Allan Park, Cove
Allan Park, Cove
7 May 2014
Peterhead kicked off in very heavy conditions which made the early play scrappy. It was five minutes before either keeper touched the ball in spite of both sides trying to attack at every opportunity. Three minutes later Peterhead were in front. Keiran Simpson’s corner kick from the right found Ross Mann who nodded strongly into the net past Keiran Hunter. Four minutes later the lead was doubled. A move down the left resulted in the first attempt being blocked, but when the ball rebounded to Mann he calmly lobbed the ball over the keeper and into the goal. 
Bucksburn came storming back and in sixteen minutes, a wonderfull cross from Leon Williams on the left was met by the head of Elliott Cheyne at the back post. He headed the ball goalwards and it found the back of Cameron Fraser’s net to half the deficit. Parity might have been restored two minutes later when Bucksburn were awarded a free kick twenty five yards out and in line with the goal. Lewis Hutchison took the kick and his pile driver just cleared the bar with the keeper beaten.
Peterhead were stung by this and they broke upfield down the left but the dangerous cross was cleared by the Bucksburn defence. In twenty one minutes another attack saw them awarded a penalty when Ben Craig was adjudged to have impeded an attacker in the box. Keiran Simpson stepped up to take the kick and dispatched it into the net low to Keiran Hunter’s right. He had to retake it as an encroachment had taken place, but his second attempt went in exactly the same place as the first and the two goal cushion was restored. It might have been three moments later when the Bucksburn keeper dropped the ball, but the attackers could not force the ball home.
Mann was everywhere and when he crossed from the left ten minutes before the break, the ball eluded Hunter and Keiran Lewis was there to find the net with a clever shot. Six minutes from the interval, Peterhead went nap. Another cross ball, this time from the rght was partially blocked but only cleared as far as Calum Mitchell who fairly powered the ball beyond Hunter. There was still time for Bucksburn to drive upfield again and Lewis Hutchison’s drive brought out a stunning save from Fraser.
Half Time: Peterhead Academy 5-1 Bucksburn Academy 
The second half began with Bucksburn setting out to do something about the scoreline but a Peterhead breakaway in eight minutes saw them gain a corner. Kelly took it, but it was not cleared properly and only went as far as Ross Mann who hammered it home. It was nearly seven a minute later when a  through ball set up a chance which was hit just past. Bucksburn kept plugging away and Logan Johnstone’s low drive was well held by substitute keeper Liam Pirie. In fourteen minutes Lewis Hutchison drove down the right and when he sent the ball across Elliott Cheyne nipped in front of the Peterhead keeper to double his team’s tally.
It was end to end stuff now with the conditions taking their toll and Alex Kelly moved upfield to place a lovely left foot shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the box with fifteen minutes remaining. A minute later a great diagonal cross to the left set up Ross Mann who moved in to slot past the helpless keeper. Still Bucksburn refused to give in and Jacob Drummond came close with a header from a right wing cross. They were luckier with eight minutes to go when, after a melee, the ball was headed off the Peterhead line before falling to Dylan Henderson who finished superbly.  
There was still time for a great individual goal by Lewis Hutchison to top off proceedings . Running from his own half in the last minuute of the game, he surged past five defenders before approaching the goal and placing the ball right in the corner.
That was the last kick of the match and Peterhead had run out deserved winners with the margin of victory just about correct. For their goals and general play, it would be reasonable to pick out Ross Mann and Lewis Hutchison as the players of the match. They were by no means the only contenders in a final which saw the large attendance very well entertained. The AFC Trophy and medals were then presented appropriately by Mr George Yule, Vice Chairman of Aberdeen FC., and the very happy Peterhead team made their way home to the Blue Toon. 
Full Time: Peterhead Academy 8 - 4 Bucksburn Academy
Peterhead Academy: Cameron Fraser, Alex Kelly, Keiran Simpson, Brandon Douglas, Cameron Hutton, Keiron Lewis, Luke Lovell, Liam Norris, Ross Mann, Jordan Durie and Calum Mitchell. Subs Liam Pirie, Nathan McLemon and Scott Taylor.
Bucksburn Academy: Keiran Hunter, David Abad, Leon Williams, Lewis Hutchison, Jacob Drummond, Logan Johnstone, Ben Craig, David Lamb, Elliott Cheyne, Dylan Henderson and Alex Hampton. 
Referee: S. Donald.
Assistant Referees: E McPhee and G. Jopp
Login to post comments