Print this page

Stonehaven grind out close win against Cove BC United

Written by 


Stonehaven Youth FC 
Cove BC Utd
Under-16 ADJFA
Groats Park
22 April 2014
The game proved very similar to the game at Groats Park with Stonehaven once again being guilty of prolificacy. The had five good chances in the first 10 minutes and the first was as early as 20 seconds. They played some excellent football throughout the match with Adam 'Jinky' Smith constantly teasing the Cove defence.

Stonehaven eventually scored after 20 minutes with some brilliant individual wing play by 'Jinky' turning the full back inside out before finding Ritchie Irvine at the back post, who fired high into the back of the net. This was Ritchies 15th goal of a great debut season.

Stonehaven continued to dominate and play their passing game.

Ironically it was Cove who equalised. Another great move again found Ritchie Irvine at the back post but the ball bobbled just before he hit the ball and the forward missed a sitter with the ball being bundled away.

The resulting clearance found a Cove midfielder who lifted the ball over the Stonehaven defence. The Cove forward looked suspiciously offside but the ref waved play-on and the forward sprinted forward to finish sweetly, low to Kyle Maitlands right hand post.

Stonehaven immediately pushed forward and Jack Murray and Ritchie Irvine were guilty of squandering good chances.
Half Time:  Stonehaven 1-1 Cove BC Utd 
The second half started much as the second and it seemed like Dejavu from 3 weeks previous. Much like 3 weeks ago it was the substitutions that proved crucial.

10 minutes in Cameron Davidson and Owen Davidson replaced Euan Lownie and Ritchie Irvine.

Two minutes later the Cove goalkeeper made a heroic double save to keep them in the game. RyanDuncans heaader looked goal bound but the keeper saved well and parried to the feet of Owen Davidson but again the keeper dived to push the ball out.

Stonehaven were now pushing hard and super sub Owen Davidson was looking very lively.

20 minutes in and Calum Lawrence and Connor Jordan replaced Adam Smith and a tiring Jack Murray.

Cove were becoming increasingly physical and it was this physicality that lead to Stonehaven taking the lead.

On 21 minutes Owen Davidson showed some nimble footwork on the left and beat two men before breaking into the box. He skipped round a third man and was hauled to the ground. Penalty!

Logan Gammie cooly dispatched the penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way and the large Stonehaven crowd delirious.

Stonehaven were now bouyant and were firing the ball in. Ryan Duncan came close, Owen Davidsonmissed another sitter when it seemed easier to score and Logan Gammie shot wide.

Cove turned to some rough tactics and collected a string of booking and 5 minutes from time Cove were down to 10 men when Logan Gammie was at the end of a vicious tackle.

Stonehaven continued to pepper the Cove goal and any Cove efforts were restricted to long range efforts.

Stonehaven should have won the game more handsomely but resilient defending and another fine goalkeeping display from the Cove Keeper kept the score down.

Again it was Cove's indiscipline that let them down.

Stonehaven now remain unbeaten in 8 straight games and are battling it out with Cove BC and Byron Utd for the title and promotion place. 
Full Time: Stonehaven 2-1 Cove BC Utd 

Latest from James Henderson

Related items

Login to post comments