Home My YFS

Stonehaven too strong for Cove BC

Written by 



Cove BC United
Stonehaven YFC
Groats Road
29 March 2014
Stonehaven were guilty of missing early chances against the bottom of the table side and could have been 2 up before opening the scoring on 6 minutes. Ritchie Irvine was scythed down in the box after some great football. The striker picked himself up to dispatch the penalty low into the left had side of the goal.

Stoney dominated proceedings and were playing some good controlled football but chance after chance was squandered by the team. They had 3 shots cleared off the line and hit the bar and inspired goalkeeping kept them at bay. Ritchie Irvine limped off after 20 mins after yet another crunching challenge and was replaced by Connor Jordan
Cove did have a change to equalise when a great run and shot from the edge of the box cannoned of the post.

Stonehaven continued to dominate but the failed to add to their score.
Half Time: Cove BC United 0 -1 Stonehaven YFC
The second half started in the same vein as the first with Stonehaven playing good football with Smith, Gammie and Stewart all guilty of missing good chances. The Cove goalie was also putting on a top class performance.

On 50 minutes Stonehaven's prolificacy was punished. Cove broke down the right and won a shy level with the Stonehaven 18 yard line. The subsequent throw-in was not cleared and dropped to a Cove player who hit a tremendous drive low into the left hand corner of the net to equalise.

Stonehaven countered immediately and pressed Cove back but a resolute keeper and some robust physicality kept the teams level. A host of foul challenges saw Cove receive a rash of bookings.

Fifteen minutes in Owen Davidson and Euan Lownie replaced Callum Stewart and Jack Murray. 5 minutes later Calum Lawrence and Cameron Davidson replaced Adam Smith and Murray Garrow.

With 10 minutes remaining it was Cameron Davidson who broke the deadlock. Stonehaven won a corner on the left. Logan Gammie swung the ball in and chaos ensued. In the resulting stramash the ball popped out to Cameron Davidson 18 yards out. He unleashed a low fizzing drive down the center of the goal and into the net.

It was no more than their play deserved.

Three minutes from time Stonehaven wrapped the game up with their second penalty of the match.

Connor Jordan received the ball and was one-on-one with the last Cove defender. The defender slipped and Jordan went to pass him but he stopped the ball with his hand and the ref had no option but to give the penalty.

Logan Gammie coolly slotted home the penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way.

The restart was delayed as the Cove players harassed the ref and some ugly scenes were calmed.

The remaining minutes were played out and Stonehaven came away with a deserved 3 points.
Full Time: Cove BC United 1-3 Stonehaven YFC
Login to post comments