Home My YFS

Glentanar progress after last gasp goal

Written by 


North Star Phoenix
Glentanar BC
U14's Eddie Mannal Trophy 2nd Round
Aulton Playing Fields
27 February 2014
NORTHSTAR PHOENIX - Michal Dec... Jordan Baillie...Craig Frost...Matt Morris…Kian McBeath...Ellis Masson...Dylan Henderson...David Vaughn...Josh Ritchie... Jaie Cowie...Cole Morrison – SUBS Finn Mackie…Kallum Murray...Shaun Smith
GLENTANAR CFC – Toms Klavins…Leon Hamilton…Jack Cowe…Kiel Findlay…Jack Elrick…Mike Orr…Andrew Dawson (Capt)…Samir Ahmed…Aiden Milne …Scotty Kerr…Caie Rust – SUBS Jack Walker…Dylan Evans…Brandon Clubb…Luke Fawcett
This fixture had been postponed four times before today’s game. Northstar had moved the fixture from Sheddocksley to Aulton so as to get the 2nd round tie which should have been done and dusted before Christmas played and out of the way. It is fair to say when you have an “A” league and “C” league team coming together the neutral in us are always wondering how much by rather than what the score will be. But with Northstar riding high in league “C” and Glentanar sitting at the bottom of league “A” this game proved to be closer than the league positions showed.
The weather was a major factor in the game as both players and officials alike were left chasing balls all over Aulton, the game was put in doubt, however the wind calmed down for a full 5 minutes to allow the teams to kick off and it was Glentanar who would start off with the wind at their backs.
But it was Northstar who started the stronger, for the first 5 minutes they pretty well held siege to the Glentanar goal without really putting the young goalkeeper under any pressure and as always in these types of games it was Glentanar who broke away against the run of play with a fine ball to former Northstar player Scotty Kerr,  who rounded the keeper and strike the ball into the empty net.
Glentanar then took control of the midfield but the final ball was over hit to the wide players and the wind done the rest as it started to pick up again. Scotty Kerr then added a second goal and set up a third goal for Caie Rust to make it three-nil.
Kerr had a chance for his hatrick when a long clearance from the Glentanar Keeper Kalvin’s bounced over everyone’s head dropping to Kerr’s feet who scuffed the shot into the keeper.
Half Time: Northstar Phoenix 0-3 Glentanar CFC
Subs – Northstar - Finn Mackie  for Ellis Masson
Subs – Glentanar – Jack Walker for Samir Ahmed, Dylan Evans for Leon Hamilton, Luke Fawcett for Caie Rust, Brandon Clubb for Mike Orr
Glentanar were forced to make changes due to injuries to both Samir Ahmed and Mike Orr but started quite strong in the 2nd half looking for the goal that they thought would kill the game, but this is a cup tie and nothing is scripted and it was Northstar through David Vaughn who brought the Sheddocklsey team back into the game.
Northstar started to use the wind as a twelve man and they used it well. The instructions from the Glentanar coaches was simple, “keep the ball on the ground” and Glentanar started to stroke the ball through influential midfielder Andrew Dawson and pick holes in the Northstar defence but the Northstar goalkeeper was quickly off his line to close all gaps. However it was one of those through balls from Dawson which was latched onto by Kerr to swing the ball across for a waiting Brandon Clubb to head into the bottom left hand corner of the Northstar goal and wrap the game up…or so Glentanar thought.
An injury to Andrew Dawson left Glentanar with no recognised central midfielders on the park and the Northstar number 7 Jordan Baillie started to command the midfield as he spurred his side on. Northstar breached the Glentanar defence time and time again but the final ball just was not sitting for the strikers. But there was a fighting spirit in this Northstar team and Josh Ritchie fired a warning goal to let Glentanar know that this tie was not over and when former Glentanar triallist Jaie Cowie slotted in a third, it was game on as Northstar had the bit between their teeth. 
Northstar started to play as a team, swinging balls into the Glentanar goalmouth but the glentanar defence held strong but just as we thought the match had whittled out up pops Cole Morrison with the equaliser and send the Northstar crowd wild and it was nothing more than they deserved for their fight.
They were not finished there as another Northstar attack so a superb fingertip save from Toms Klavins in the Glentanar goal as the shot looked goal bound. Both teams had seemed to settle for the draw and preparing for extra time when in the final minute Dylan Evans drove at the Northstar Defence and went through 1…2…3 tackles before his shot came back off the keeper and landed at the feet of Luke Fawcett who fired at goal for it to come back off a defender and land at Evans feet who calmly stroked it into the Northstar net.
It was absolute joy and relief for one side and devastation for the other as the referee brought the cup tie to an end. The look on both coaches just showed exactly how the match went as the Glentanar coach looked relieved and although the Northstar coach was devastated he was proud of all his players. The parting comment from the Glentanar coach to the Northstar coach was “your boys done you proud”
Full Time: Northstar Phoenix 4-5 Glentanar CFC
Login to post comments