Home My YFS

Rain ‘n’ goals as Colony edge past Culter

Culter Deeside 3

Hay 19, Penley 36, Swan 83

Colony Colts 4

Watt 8, Walls 15, Brown 26, 35
  • Saturday, 02 November 2013
  • Hazlehead
  • Under 17´s
  • Raymond Kelly Association Trophy - R1

Daniel McKay | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Colony Colts Under 17's narrowly beat Culter Deeside in horrendous conditions at Hazlehead on Saturday afternoon.  Driving rain and gale-force winds did not stop the teams putting on a good show though, as an entertaining game produced seven goals and some really nice football.
Colony grabbed the lead in just the eighth minute when a Daniel Watt corner found its way straight into the net!  It was a terrific ball in right on top of the keeper, who got a hand to it but was caught out by the strong wind.
Daniel Penley looked to go through one-on-one for Culter Deeside on 11 minutes, but the defence managed to get back and crowd him out.  Colts then doubled their lead in the 15th minute when Michael Walls found himself in space in the box, turned neatly and slotted home past Calum Henderson.
Deeside responded well though and pulled a goal back within four minutes, Cooper Hay with a powerful strike from the right-hand side going in off the post.  Lifted by the goal Culter stepped up the pressure and equalised nine minutes before the interval through Daniel Penley with a composed side-foot finish.
  • Half Time:
  • Culter Deeside
  • 2-2
  • Colony Colts
Culter almost completed the comeback five minutes after the restart when Finlay Swan won a free kick on the edge of the box.  The youngster got up to take it himself, and saw his effort come back off the post with the keeper beaten.
In the 55th minute the hosts hit the woodwork again.  This time it was Matthew Macintosh who sent his shot from range crashing off the crossbar.  After being under pressure though Colony came back into it and retook the lead in the 71st minute.  Craig Brown showed great strength and determination to wriggle through the Deeside defence and poke the ball past the keeper.
With 10 minutes to go the visitors restored their two-goal lead through a cool, low finish from Craig Brown.  Culter threw everything they had at Colony and brought it back to 4-3 when Finlay Swan found the net with a superb free kick.  
Deeside huffed and puffed but just couldn’t find a second equaliser, as Colony Colts saw the game out to progress to the next round.
  • Full Time:
  • Culter Deeside
  • 3-4
  • Colony Colts


Culter Deeside
Colony Colts

1. Calum Henderson
2. Conor Watson
17. Scott Tetzner
9. Morgan McKay
14. Ken Aggery
22. Matthew Cook
26. Greg Shaw
11. Finlay Swan
5. Daniel Penley
6. Cooper Hay
7. Christian Lechner
12. Scott Main
8. Matthew Maxwell
20. Matthew Macintosh
12. Daniel Mutch

22. Rory McKinnon
4. Scott West
20. Christopher Hoyle
2. Craig Anderson
23. Scott Forsyth
17. Kyle Brown
6. George Neilson
25. Michael Walls
15. Daniel Watt
24. Craig Brown
16. Greg Center
10. Matthew Timmins
21. Fraser Forbes
7. Craig Hay

Star Player
Culter Deeside
Colony Colts
Christian Lechner put in a great shift for Culter, looking composed and confident every time he got the ball.
Craig Brown's second half doubled proved the difference between the sides. He had a good game and took the goals well.
Magic Moment
Culter Deeside
Colony Colts
Finlay Swan's free kick which hit the post would have made it 3-2 Culter. It was a near-perfect shot which, had it gone in, could have made the game very different.
Colony's magic moment has to be the first goal when Daniel Watt scored direct from a corner.
Club Views
Culter Deeside
Colony Colts
Alan MacKay, coach of Culter Deeside, said: “Basically I thought we were by far the better team in the first half. I couldn’t believe we were down 2-0, I thought we should’ve been 3-1 up! We had shots, we had one against one three times in the first half. In the second half we continued playing really well. I think Colony came back and played a bit stronger second half and it was a more even game. We hit the bar, hit the post, we were one-on-one with the keeper again twice and to be honest I’m really disappointed that we lost the match.”
Trevor West, coach of Colony Colts, said: “I thought it was actually a very fair game. Close game considering that the conditions were really poor, driving rain and really severe wind. I thought in the first half Culter were better than us, they were better in midfield and got more of the ball so I thought we were lucky to go in at half time at two each. I thought in the second half we were the better side, played much better football. I think just in the end the 4-3 result was a good result for us and just about fair.”
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments