Home My YFS

Banchory bag Scottish win against Mannofield

Written by 


Banchory Boys
Mannofield FC
U19's Trans World Soccer Scottish Cup R3
26 October 2013
Banchory Boy's ace Sam Smith scored twice as the Boys routed Mannofield to seal their place into the last 32 of the Scottish Cup.
Glen Smith put Mannofield ahead on the 5th minute after slotting the ball past Liam Sadler before Harry Milne equalised for the Boys in Blue after heading in a rebound.
Michael Davies then put Banchory ahead just before half time with a clever side-footed shot from close range past the helpless keeper.

But in the second half, Jordan Gray of the Aberdeen based team managed to make it all square with a fine header from the resulting corner. However Cammy Booth managed to retain the Blues lead after a fantastic 25 yard strike, making it 3-2. That was followed by a header from number 7 which then took the game into extra time.
However, Mannofield's resilience didn't last much longer as Sam Smith struck twice, one from a tap from close range, then finishing the game off by successfully scoring from a 1 on 1 situation.
It was the first time this season that a Scottish Youth Cup game had to go into extra time to decide the winner, which wasn't a surprise considering both Neil Findlay and PJ Doherty fielded their strongest starting 11 and the fact that these teams are first and second in the Murray Cup Section 1 Group respectively.
Despite winning their last 3 games, Mannofield just didn't have what it took to over come a determined and effective Banchory team.
The hosts' cause was not helped by the referee's decision to play on as striker Sam Smith was deemed to have been clearly fouled by the Mannofield Defence.
And, despite the early threat of Sam Smith and Cameron Buchan, the writing was on the wall from the moment Glen Smith opened the proceedings by slotting the ball home.
Banchory Boys were level minutes later, Harry Milne lashing the ball into the net from close range. However, Mannofield's youthful pace and endeavour continued to cause all sorts of problems but it was Banchory's turn to be in the driving seat.
And on the 30th minute Michael Davies ran onto a knock on by Sam Smith and carefully passed the ball into the net beyond the standing Ryan Albin.
Immediately afterwards, the number 1 goal keeper had to be replaced by Mayon Patel due to an injury which was caused by an off-the-ball incident with one of the Banchory attackers.

Afterwards Jordan Gray made it 2-2 after capping off a corner with a powerful header.
A resolute start to the second half from the hosts paid off as James Flaherty worked space and then laid the ball off to Cammy Booth who lashed the ball into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-2.
No sooner had the home crowd and Neil Findlay discovered satisfaction, but number 7 managed to equalise after heading the ball from yet again another corner to make it 3-3.
The score remained 3-3, but to PJ Doherty's sigh of relief, Hamish Tubby skied a penalty for the hosts.
Despite players tiring in extra time, the goals still rolled through, well for the hosts anyway. The ball found its way to the unmarked Sam Smith from a corner who then cooly slots the ball into the net. Again he managed to find the net as James Flaherty passed the ball past the keeper to Sam himself to tap the ball in to kill the game off.
Despite the result, PJ Doherty can be proud of his men for having the character to bounce back not once but twice when the odds were against them. But a resilient and hard working Banchory were the victors in this pulsating clash.
Full time: Banchory Boys 5-3 Mannofield FC
Login to post comments