Home My YFS
Sunday, 22 September 2013 15:52

Cove overcome Newmachar hurdle to reach Round 2

Written by 
Rate this item
(2 votes)

Cove BC

Newmachar United
Davidson 1
Somers 7, 32
Whiffin 57, 58
Garnham 3
Durrand 77


U13 Scottish Youth FA Cup - R1
Portlethen Academy
22 September 2013

Author: Scott McPherson

Cove BC enjoyed 18 degree heat at Portlethen Academy on Sunday as they beat Newmachar United 5-2 to progress to the second round of the Scottish Youth FA Cup where they will meet Albion BC. 
The opening 20 minutes of the match were very even with both teams scoring early on. Cove's Sean Davidson scored within a minute but that was quickly cancelled out by Newmachar's Sam Garnham. From then on Cove took control and that was emphasised with four goals as Mark Somers and Adam Whiffin both scored twice either side of half time. Despite Cove's superiorty, Newmachar never gave up and they got their reward just before full time through Alex Durrand's cool penalty.
Cove BC and Newmachar United had met several times before in seven-a-side matches but this was their first meeting playing with 11 players each. 
Cove were quickest off the mark and took the lead after a minute. Striker Davidson lacthed on to a loose ball and shrugged off a couple of challenges before prodding the ball into the net from 10 yards.
Newmachar's players reacted brilliantly to that early setback and equalised only two minutes later. Danny Milnes' dangerous free kick evaded everyone apart from his teammate Garnham who nudged the ball home from a couple of yards.
The wait for the next goal of the game wasn't a long one with Cove retaking the lead after seven minutes. A throw-in on the right wing saw Davidson lay the ball off for Somers whose cross/shot flew into the far left top corner of the goal. 
As the game started to settle down Cove were the team in the ascendancy. The majority of the game was being played in Newmachar's half with they away side relying on their pacy strikers to cause problems on the counter attack. 
Cove then hit the crossbar after 16 minutes when Jordan Kidney's volley was punched on to the woodwork by Newmachar goalkeeper Jack Ross. 
Newmachar's defender Craig Hume then had to produce a great piece of defending to keep the score at 2-1. Cove's Somers went past the goalkeeper and looked destined to score until Hume intervened to thwart him.
After some Cove pressure Newmachar had stabilized and began to get their foot on the ball and think about attacking themselves. That was until the 32nd minute when Cove did score their third. Kieran Stewart's initial shot was blocked by the feet of goalkeeper Ross but the ball looped up for Somers who headed past Ross from six yards. 
Just before half time Somers nearly completed his hat trick. Stewart's sweeping cross found Somers but his shot went marginally wide of goal.

Half Time: Cove BC 3-1 Newmachar United

Newmachar came close to halving the deficit shortly after the interval. Ryan Ritchie was rewarded for chasing what looked like a lost cause but his shot was well saved by goalkeeper Daniel Green. 
Cove then put the game out of sight with two quickfire, and very similar, goals. Stewart's superb corner was nodded into an empty net by defender Whiffin after 57 minutes.
A minute later the same combination made it 5-1 to the hosts. Stewart's corner from the same side again found an unmarked Whiffin who this time headed home from the penalty spot. 
By this point Cove were fully in control but Newmachar were still looking dangerous on the counter attack. They nearly scored from one of those counters when Shae Gallachar fed Milnes who cut inside a defender and shot from within the penalty area but it was well held by Green in goal.
Newmachar did score again a few minutes before the final whistle. A great run from Shaun Sangster on the left wing was completed with an equally great cross which found Garnham in the box who was bundled over by Cove 'keeper Green. A penalty was awarded and Durrand side-footed the ball to the left of the 'keeper and into the net. 
There was just enough time for one more Cove chance but Davidson's close range shot just missed the bottom corner and went harmlessly wide for a goal kick.
Cove manager Craig Philip had said before the match that he expected a very close game. Football wise, both teams were quite evenly matched. What swung it in Cove's favour was the power they had in their team and they probably just wanted it that little bit more on the day. 
Full Time: Cove BC 5-2 Newmachar United


Cove BC Newmachar United
1. Daniel Green
3. Aidan Fulton
5. Kieran Stewart
6. Gareth Rooney
8. Jordan Kidney
10. Mark Taylor 
11. Mark Somers
14. Damian Kalinowski
15. Kieran Dowbekin
16. Dylan Mitchell
17. Muhamed Shafik
19. Adam Whiffin
20. Ben Forrest
21. Sean Davidson
1. Jack Ross
2. Andrew Downie
3. Shae Gallachar
4. Adam Blake 
5.Euan Whylie
6. Ryan Cumming
7. Danny Milnes
8. Dylan Mackie
9. Sam Garnham
10. Alex Durrand
11. Ross McGregor
12. Ryan Ritchie
14. Craig Hume
15. Shaun Sangster
16. Cammy Reid
17. Keir Fenwick
Cove's striker Sean Davidson started the match brilliantly but he was forced off after 13 minutes holding his hamstring. He did reappaer for the second half but didn't have the same impact. So it would have to be Kieran Stewart. Stewart went about his business quietly but was influential in the final third. The midfielder was directly involved in three of his team's goals and looked comfortable on both feet.
Newmachar's captain Euan Wylie was their outstanding performer. Despite Cove having a number of bigger players, Wylie wasn't afraid to throw his body at any tackle or any block and he made a number of timely tackles and interceptions. He also tried to organise his team throughout the match. These qualities would have been the reason he is their captain. 
Craig Philip, manager of Cove, said: "We controlled the midfield, our defence was hardly troubled until later on when the boys started to tire. Overall, I think it was a very good, solid performance."
Greg Milnes, manager of Newmachar, said: "I thought we played some good football in the first half. I think we struggled in the second half. The score kind of flattered Cove, I would say, but they did deserve to win in the end."
Last modified on Sunday, 22 September 2013 22:42
Scott McPherson

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments