Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 6861

Sunday, 15 September 2013 14:47

Vale progress after goalfest against ALC

Written by 
Rate this item
(2 votes)
ALC Athletic
Deveronvale FC
Ashley (2)
Forsyth (2)


U14 Scottish Youth FA Cup - R1
15 September 2013

By Michael Cobban
YFS North Region Reporter

This Sunday, a wildly windy and wet morning was the setting for a closely fought first round cup match between home side ALC Athletic and visitors Deveronvale.  With the home side in their red kit, and the visitors in white, it could be seen from kick-off that both teams were keen to make a quick start.
Barclay Forsyth started brightly with a darting run at Athletics defence, only for Frankie Stewart to come and close down any chance of a fruitful attack.  The ball then bounced around the midfield before slipping through to Athletics' Lewis Ifi who was denied well by Deveronvale goalkeeper Arran Golias, the beginning of a fine game for the young keeper. 
Excellent play on the right wing by Athletics' Ethan Smith led to a corner, where Leighton Duncan of Deveronvale did extremely well to pull off an impressive goal line clearance. Early on it could be seen that the weather conditions were having an impact as each ball played seemed to have added whip, but both teams were coping well .
A break by Forsyth opened up an opportunity for a strike at goal, and after a good initial save by Athletic keeper Sonny Cain, Deveronvale player John Geddes opened up the scoring with a composed tap in to make it 1-0 to Deveronvale.
A response came shortly afterwards with Athletic captain Callum McKenzie cutting in from the left to arrow a great strike into the right side of the net to even the score, and bring Athletic back into the game.
With the wind behind Athletic, a lot of football was being played in the first part of the Deveronvale half, and some fine defending was on show as Samuel Cummings appeared very difficult for Athletic to get past.  A break for Deveronvale started with Mark Tait making a storming run through the heart of the Athletic half, where the number 10 selflessly played in Mike Third, who sublimely lifted the ball over Athletic keeper Cain to put Deveronvale back in front. 
Athletic again were quick to respond with both Jay Murphy and Ethan Smith showing good wing play down the right, combining well with one another.  Smith was then caught fractionally late, but showed impressive character by quickly getting up and accepting the apologetic handshake of his opponent, a great show of sportsmanship by the players. 
Murphy continued to look dangerous for Athletic, playing in Calum Reid for an opportunity which was quickly closed down by the continuously solid Deveronvale defence.  Play then began to move further into the Athletic half and despite Athletics' Lewis Lawson twice breaking down play well the ball found its way to Deveronvale's Forsyth inches outside the box, where he had little hesitation to double his tally with a sweet strike. 
Athletic were giving no sign of giving up however as McKenzie after beating his man put in a dangerous ball which ached for any kind of touch to direct it towards goal. As the ball was cleared a good battle was developing in the midfield with Athletic's Lawson and Deveronvale player Fergus Edwards vying for possession with solid play. 
Athletics' Richie Troup showed some good touches as the half came to a close, neatly beating his man and moving forwards, but no team mate could latch onto his dangerous pass.  The opposing number 2, Declan Smith then showed once more the strength of his teams' defence by smartly breaking up Athletics' right wing play, before referee Bob Annand signalled the end of the first half. 
Half Time: ALC Athletic 1-3 Deveronvale FC
The second half got underway with Deveronvale earning a corner early on. This corner resulted in Cummings, after having had a good first half, latching on to the loose ball and finding the back of the net to further his teams' lead. 
With more pressure coming from Deveronvale's rising confidence, Athletics' defence was being worked hard.  Matthew Clark, vocal from the back led by example, calmly clearing any danger coming his way and with fresh legs coming on for Athletic they began to again look dangerous.
Angus Ashley and Taylor McBain, Athletics' substitutes then had their first touches, and both could have resulted in chances.  Ashley being closed down by two Deveronvale players after a good run, and McBain's excellent ball just being too far infront of Murphy with goalkeeper Golias showing good judgement to come out and claim the ball.  
Deveronvale's Edwards then found himself in space outside the box and was right to try his luck as his effort found the back of the net, to extend his team's lead.
Athletic, sensing that time was running out, carved out an opportunity for Ashley, who nicely slotted in the rebound after Golias had made an initial save, unfortunate for the keeper who had been having a fine morning. 
Not to be outdone however Forsyth of Deveronvale found himself with space on the left wing, and seized the chance with a superb run and finish into the back of the net with a precise left footed finish, doubling his goal tally.
Quickly after play restarted, Lawson of Athletic earned his side a free kick in a dangerous area, and a drive by Murphy was only denied a certain goal by Golias getting down very well to his right post. 
With what must have been the last kick of the game, the ball somehow ended up in the back of the Deveronvale net after a good ball in by Athletic's McBain created a scramble between Deveronvale's defence and Athletic's Ashley.  It was unclear who got the final touch but it was what turned out to be a consolation goal, as referee Bob Annand after having good control of the affair signalled the end of the game.
Full Time: ALC Athletic 3-6 Deveronvale FC


ALC Athletic Deveronvale FC
1. Sonny Cain
2. Richie Troup
3. Harry Browne
4. Matthew Clark
5. Matthew Greig
6. Craig Cook
7. Ethan Smith
8. Calum Reid
9. Lewis Lawson
10. Callum McKenzie
11. Jay Murphy
12. Lewis Ifi
14. Logan Paterson
15. Taylor McBain
16. Frankie Stewart
17. Angus Ashley
1. Arran Golias
2. Declan Smith
3. Leighton Duncan
4. Kian Beaton
5. Samuel Cummings
6. Fergus Edwards
7. Lewis Strachan
8. John Geddes
10. Mark Tait
11. Keith Cruickshank
12. Maciek Waliszek
15. Mike Third
16. Rory McDermont
17. Ronin McQuade
19. Barclay Forsyth
21. Craig Sutherland
My man of the match for ALC Athletic is Matthew Clark. Vocal from the back and encouraged team mates well even when heads began to go down, and despite the scoreline had a good came in defence.
My man of the match for Deveronvale is Barclay Forsyth, with a couple of excellen t goals, it has to go to him. Honourable mention to Fergus Edwards, who I thought was great in the middle of the park and made a lot of the Athletic's attacks break down.
Neil Paterson, ALC Athletic manager said, "Very disappointed, we just didn't play to potential. The wind was a problem but both teams had to deal with it."
Kevin Smith, Deveronvale manager said, "The boys played really well considering the weather, and I felt the win was deserved."
Last modified on Monday, 16 September 2013 13:01

Login to post comments