Home My YFS
Saturday, 15 June 2013 21:31

Goals galore as Deeside edge cup cracker

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Aberdeen FCL
Deeside Girls
Innes 18, 60
Neish 28
Mitchell 4, 45
Becker 38, 42


13's SWF North Girls L. Cup - Final
Aberdeen Sports Village

Bruce Dryburgh

By Bruce Dryburgh
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @brucedryburgh

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo GalleryDiscuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Aberdeen Sports Village was the venue for the North Region Girls League Cup finals and the first was between Aberdeen and Deeside. The game got off to a flying start and the first goal of the game came as early as the 4th minute. Deeside's Eilidh Mitchell saw her effort from just outside the box go low into the bottom corner of the net.

Deeside then had a strong shout for a penalty after the ball appeared to strike the hand of Aberdeen centre back, Erin Heeps but the referee didn't approve. Just seconds later and Deeside had another chance to score. Katie Becker drove into the box but Jodie Harper made a strong save to deny Deeside doubling their advantage. Aberdeen's first sight of goal came in the 12th minute of the game when Taylor Shea's curling effort skimmed off the crossbar.

Aberdeen brought the game back on level terms on 18 minutes as Julia Innes' shot from the halfway line caught the keeper out and found the top left corner of the net.

Aberdeen then took the lead for the first time in the game just two minutes before the interval. Emily Neish left foot strike from the edge of the penalty area went past Katelyn Corsar in the Deeside goal and changed both teams' half time team talks.

Half Time: Aberdeen FCL 2-1 Deeside Girls

Both teams were quick out of the traps at the start of the second half. Just a minute after the restart and Deeside's Mitchell had an ambitious effort from distance went just over the bar. Aberdeen then had a chance in the 34th minute and again it fell to the feet of Neish. Becky Carstens played a good ball to Neish who showed good touch and skill to beat the defender before seeing her shot saved by Corsar. Deeside were then awarded a free kick in a very dangerous area and Becker stepped up to the plate but her effort was saved well by Harper.

However, just moments later Becker had another chance and this time she got the better of Harper as her driven effort flew past Harper and into the bottom corner of the net.

Aberdeen were looking to regain the lead immediately and Shea drove into the box but Corsar was on hand again to make another fine save and keep the game in the balance.

Deeside were the next team to score as a corner wasn't held by Harper and unfortunately for her it fell straight to the feet of the waiting Becker who volleyed the ball into an empty net and sent the loud, encouraging fans into raptures.

Aberdeen were awarded an indirect free kick just a few moments after the restart. Shea played the ball to Carstens but her shot went over and wide of the target.

Deeside's Mitchell then scored her second in the 45th minute and looked to secure cup glory for her side. Her shot from the edge of the box gave Harper no chance.

Deeside then had a flurry of chances to really kill the game off. Firstly, Sophie Taylor was one-on-one with Harper but the keeper stood her ground and denied Deeside getting the killer 5th goal. Taylor had another chance just moments later but her effort went just went wide of the target this time. A double chance then fell to the feet of the same striker. Her first effort was blocked by Shea and then her second effort was saved by Harper.

Aberdeen grabbed a goal back as the game was well into its dying embers and it was a great goal to round off a memorable game full of wonder goals and all round good play. Innes was the scorer again and it was almost identical to her first of the game - a strike from the halfway line that flew all the way into the back of the net.

Full Time: Aberdeen FCL 3-4 Deeside Girls


Aberdeen FCL Deeside Girls
1. Jodie Harper
2. Keslie Greig
4. Erin Heeps
5. Taylor Shea
6. Abigail Evans
8. Nicole Morrison
9. Julia Innes
11. Jayde Low
14. Emily Neish
15. Marthanne Davis
16. Becky Carstens
1. Katelyn Corsar
2. Sophie Taylor
3. Katie Becker
6. Catrina Anderson
7. Jessica Davidson
8. Amy Mackintosh
9. Eilidh Mitchell
10. Rhea Stewart
11. Amy Christie
15. Nadia McQuaker-Kajiwara
16. Kirsty Anderson
Emily Neish held the ball up well for Aberdeen and really made them tick while on the attack and deserved her goal. Taylor Shea also had a solid game and drove her teammates on throughout the game. 
Eilidh Mitchell scored a fantastic double on cup final day and was always looking to bring other into the game too. Sophie Taylor got into key areas for Deeside and was unlucky not to score a few goals. 
George Scott, coach, said: "It was a smashing final and Aberdeen definitely played their part. It's not often that our team gets success like this so it was a nice day for all of us. I felt we deserved the win."
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 12:12
Bruce Dryburgh

Bruce Dryburgh | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]lscotland.co.uk

Login to post comments