Home My YFS
Sunday, 14 April 2013 16:56

Determined Dyce beat Fiery FDS in five goal thriller

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Dyce BC
Hessell 17
Higgins 21
Simspon 2, 34
Cruickshank 40


U16s ADJFA 'A' League
Westdyke Leisure Centre

Bruce Dryburgh

By Bruce Dryburgh
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @brucedryburgh

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

FDS welcomed Dyce to Westdyke Leisure Centre for what proved to be a very entertaining league tie. The game got off to a flying start and it was Dyce who drew first blood. A goalmouth scramble in the FDS box fell kindly for Rhys Simpson who slid the ball into the back of the net beyond FDS keeper, Daniel Probyn.

However, just seconds after the restart, Dyce were reduced to 10 men as striker, Grant Corbett was sent for an early bath after speaking back to the referee. It would require a great deal of courage and determination if Dyce were to hold onto the lead for the remaining 78 minutes.

The game was beginning to even out and both teams were looking exciting in attack, creating good goal scoring chances. FDS got the game right back in the balance after 17 minutes as Ben Hessell cut in from the left hand side and unleashed a spectacular curling effort that flew past Grant Yeats and into the top corner of the net.

Just moments later and FDS had turned the game on its head and it was Iain Hay-Higgins who claimed his 4th goal in 3 games after outmuscling Dyce defender, Mikey Duncan he then found himself surrounded by yet more defenders but he crawled his way through before slotting the ball past the helpless Yeats.

FDS continued to build on this lead and almost added to their one goal cushion but Hamish Ritchie’s free-kick didn’t trouble Yeats in the Dyce goal. Higgins then found himself in a glorious position as he looked to be one-on-one with the keeper but Darren Hewitt made an outstanding last-ditch tackle to prevent any further danger. Dyce were beginning to get back into things and their next chance fell to John Bruce but his effort from the edge of the box went over the crossbar. Dyce had a nervy moment at the back on the half hour mark as Ritchie swung in a corner but Yeats couldn’t hold onto it but there was no-one in a yellow shirt to stab the ball home.

Dyce then found an equaliser after 34 minutes after a sweeping, passing move, Simpson got in behind the FDS back line and Craig Mackie couldn’t get back in time to prevent the ball crawling over the line.

Dyce almost regained the lead just moments later in what was a very end-to-end game but Probyn was able to hold onto a well struck free-kick. Just a couple of minutes prior to the half time interval FDS almost took the lead for the second time in the game. Simon Watson went a surging, overlapping run down the right but there was no one in the middle of the box to tap the ball home.

There was yet more drama right on the stroke of half time after Dyce were awarded a dubious penalty as Angus Gibson was penalised for handball. However, this appeared to be a very harsh decision. Nevertheless, you just have to play through these circumstances and Josh Cruickshank stepped up for the away side and kept his cool to slot the ball home and ease the pressure of Dyce as they went into the break holding the lead.

Half time proved to come at the perfect time, leaving the spectators speechless after witnessing a great first half full of goals, sending’s off and a penalty… What else could you ask for?!

Half Time: FDS BC 2-3 Dyce BC

The second half was considerably quieter than the first and a lot less action-packed. Nevertheless, there were still plenty of chances for both teams to add to their tallies. FDS created the first real chance of the second half as Higgins beat 2 defenders before crossing for Hessell but Yeats came out to gather before the ball got that far.

The 2 sides were continuing to search for what would be the all important 6th goal of the game, however it just wasn’t for coming. Dyce swung in a dangerous free-kick into the FDS area but Mackie was in the right place to clear any danger. FDS went up the pitch again though and created another decent chance for the in-form Higgins. He was clean through one-on-one with Yeats again but the goalkeeper was in magnificent form to deny FDS another equaliser.

The game was really beginning to open up as FDS were searching for another equaliser, which would leave gaps over the pitch for Dyce to exploit. Lewis Alexander had a good chance for the away side but his shot from the edge of the box was blocked well by the home defence.

Just moments after that Dyce had another superb chance to grab a 4th goal but FDS keeper for the day, Probyn was in fine form to make a terrific double save to keep the goal deficit at just one!

The game was now coming into the last 10 minutes and FDS were beginning to really go for it while Dyce were getting bodies back as they looked to hold out. Watson was impeded right on the edge of the area and FDS were awarded a free-kick in a very dangerous position. Mackie stepped up to take the free-kick but he failed to convert this time. Another chance fell to Mackie just seconds later from a corner that Hessell swung in and Mackie rose highest but his header went agonisingly past the post.

FDS had the final piece of drama in what was a very well contested game as Higgins was clean through yet again but his effort was saved yet again by the inspirational Yeats who may well have saved Dyce on the day and certainly helped them along the way to ensure they went home with all 3 points.  

Full Time: FDS BC 2-3 Dyce BC

FDS MOTM: Hamish Ritchie

Dyce MOTM: Grant Yeats

Last modified on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 14:30
Bruce Dryburgh

Bruce Dryburgh | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments