Home My YFS
Monday, 08 April 2013 14:24

Cup final classic as City see off Tynecastle

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Edinburgh City FC
Tynecastle FC
Osborne (2)


U19 EOSFA League Cup - Final
Spartans Academy


By Craig Wilson
YFS South East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @Real_C_Wilson

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery (Courtesy of Thomas Brown)
Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

The fantastic Spartans Academy was the host to the East of Scotland Under 19’s League Cup Final on Sunday and the game was every bit as good as the venue. It had it all. Goals, penalties, cards a plenty and controversial decisions. It took 120 minutes to separate the sides and even at that it was still unbelievably close.

In the early stages of the match both sides showed a desire to pass the ball about and get their attackers on the ball. Tynecastle came the closest to opening the scoring in the early stages when Keiran Muirhead headed a corner just wide. In the 12th minute Edinburgh City created and opening and from it they won themselves a penalty. Lewis Cockburn was bearing down on goal when he was stopped in his tracks by a trailing leg of the Tynecastle defender trying to get back. Mark Osbourne stepped up and made no mistake from the spot and put his side into a one goal lead. That goal separated the sides for the whole 90 minutes and only in the dying seconds did Tynecastle get the goal they pushed for.

Tynecastle did have chances before this, Elliot Lister went over in the area but was penalised for simulation by the referee. Brendan Edwards tested City ‘keeper Christopher Anderson on more than one occasion. His first was a free kick from the edge of the area. Anderson got down well to save and the second another free kick was turned over by the City number one. City also had chances Corey Gilmour went close direct from a corner, whilst Mark McConnell headed wide.

As the game progressed it became more and more open with chances becoming common place. Tynecastle now had auxiliary centre back Calum Edwards up front and he found himself in a bit of space in the area only to be denied by the impressive Anderson. Eventually the bombarding of the City goal did pay off for Tynecastle. A free kick was played into a dangerous area by Edwards but the City defence stood firm and cleared for a corner. The corner though did provide the equaliser. Left back Finlay Matthews rose above the defence and in stoppage time had equalised to drag the game into extra time.

The extra time period was to be just as lively. In the first period Shaun Turnbull’s header beat Neil Fairnie in the Tynecastle goal and on the line it appeared to be saved by the man on the post. As the ball was cleared however, the stand side linesman flagged and awarded a goal. Both sides seemed surprised, City were delighted whilst Tynecastle were left raging at the officials.

Tynecastle did though pick themselves up and kept pushing forward. Soon they were boosted as the Corey Gilmour was dismissed for what appeared to be dissent given Tynecastle a man advantage. Tynecastle did then take advantage of the extra man when Ousman See went on a run through midfield and towards the corner of the 18 yard box. His cross was excellent and substitute Saul Schulz-Keith was on hand to again draw Tynecastle level. Tynecastle were boosted and then had a glorious chance to win the cup when Brendan Edwards picked up a pass from Jake Stevenson but his shot was expertly saved by Anderson.

In the dying minutes of Extra time the game was finally settled and the ten men of City grabbed the trophy. Connor Pont went on a run down the right and as he entered the area a desperate challenge by Finlay Matthews was punished with the award of a penalty. Osbourne had the responsibility once more and again he made no mistake. It was 3-2 and this time there simply wasn’t enough time for any comeback for the Tynecastle lads.

This game had everything. And the celebrations were a bit special as a result of that. Edinburgh City triumphed and made sure everyone was going to know about it, but both sets of lads should be credited for putting on an excellent show for the decent crowd at Ainslie Park.

Full Time: Edinburgh City 3-2 Tynecastle FC (AET)

Edinburgh City FC Tynecastle FC
1. Christopher Anderson
2. Jaxon Wishart
3. Connor Pont
4. Shaun Turnbull
5. John Sanderson
6. Mark McConnell
7. Kyle Brown
8. Kieran McGraw
9. Lewis Cockburn
10. Mark Osborne
11. Corey Gilmour
12. Greg Powrie
14. Jonathon Whiteman
15. Glenn Innes
16. Matthew Davitt
17: Mark Horsburgh 
1. Neil Fairnie
2. Keiran Muirhead
3. Finlay Matthews
4. Josh Rodgers
5. Michael Langdale
6. Jake Stevenson
7. Hne Wilson
8. Brendan Edwards
9. Elliot Lister
10. Ousman See
11. Blake Wales
12. Peter Reilly
14. Calum Edwards
15, Saul Schulz-Keith
16. Kern Hutchison
17. Daniel Graves.
Christopher Anderson was excellent throughout. Made 4 or 5 very important and impressive stops, none more so than that save from Brendan Edwards in the dying minutes of extra time.
Ousman See was a threat all game and his excellent bit of play assisted Schulz-Keith in getting Tynecastle’s second goal.

Last modified on Wednesday, 18 September 2013 11:03
Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments