Home My YFS
Sunday, 10 February 2013 11:06

Torphins and Townhill battle out draw

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Torphins Tornados
Townhill FC


U14 SYFA Challenge Cup - R5
Garioch Sports Centre


By David Reid
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @DaveReid0

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

With Torphins still affected by the harsh winter the game was moved to Inverurie and a snowy scene was what both teams had to contend with. The match finished goalless after the regulation 80 minutes. A few questions were asked and raised when, at the end of the game, the referee blew for full time (rather than proceeding with extra time and penalties).

Despite the weather conditions both teams can be praised for trying to play some good football. There weren't a lot of clear cut chances towards both goals however both teams did create good counter attacking opportunities.

The first real chance didn't come until the 20th minute and it came to the Fife side after an effort from 16 yards by Gregor McDonald was saved by Owen Findlater. It wasn't cleared away and Torphins had to thank James Cooper for keeping the scoreline goalless thanks to a good block from Scott Dunsmore's shot.

Torphins produced a good counter attack at the other end just 3 minutes later after a great ball was sent down the right flank by Angus Forbes. It was met by Joel George who then squared it across goal to Tom Andrews but he failed to get a vital touch.

Half Time: Torphins Tornados 0-0 Townhill FC

A bit of grafting was once more required at half time as the snow was getting much heavier than before the start of the game. The ball seemed to be still sticking to the pitch a lot and both teams really struggled to find any rhythm.

Townhill then produced a string of attacks at the Torphins goal. McKenzie Koe tried to put the visitors in front through a free kick which was saved by Owen Findlater and came to Gregor McDonald who couldn't get his shot away.

As the game approached the final minuts, Townhill produced another attack and a great corner was sent in by McKenzie Koe which was blocked away by Joel George. In terms of the attacks on goal this proved to be the last bit of action.

The visitors were then reduced to 10 men with 12 minutes to go after Scott Dunsmore produced a late challenge on a Torphins player and the referee decided to send the midfielder off. This proved to be the last bit of action from him before calling the game to a halt.

Both sets of players will now meet again in what becomes a 'replay'. However where and when it takes place, could well be a decision for the SYFA's committee.

Full Time: Torphins Tornados 0-0 Townhill FC

Torphins Tornados Townhill FC
1. Owen Findlater
6. Mark Smith
3. James Cooper
18. Angus Forbes
10. Joel George
10. Danny Nicol
7. Tom Andrews
11. Macaulay Ewen
14. Josh Grant
2. Kurt Grant
19. Liam Cameron
21. Owen Griffiths
12. Calvin Dufftown
17. Craig Riach
1. Owain Stark
2. Kieran Annandale
5. Daniel McIntosh
7. Scott Dunsmore
11. Jamie Sinclair
14. Alex Chingwalu
18. McKenzie Koe
20. Aidan Davidson
21. Jack George
25. Aaron Baxter
26. Charlie Coulson
33. Ben Woodfine
34. Lewis Robertson
35. Gregor McDonald
James Cooper produced a number of vital blocks and interceptions.
Gregor McDonald looked lively in attack throughout the match.
Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 20:12
David Reid

David Reid | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments