Home My YFS
Wednesday, 05 December 2012 16:12

Torphins into last 16 after entertaining tie

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Torphins Tornados 
Calderbraes BC
Ewen 27
Griffiths 42
George 69
Higgins 4


U14 SYFA Challenge Cup - R4
Inverurie 3G


By Bruce Dryburgh
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @brucedryburgh

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

This game went ahead in extreme conditions in snow on the astroturf pitch in Inverurie but the referee was happy for the game to go ahead and it was all smiles for Torphins at full time as they came out on top and progressed to the last 16 of the Scottish Cup in what was a closely contested match. 

It was Calderbraes that got off to the better start and they got themselves in front in the 4th minute. Torphins could only clear the ball as far as Josh Higgins who struck the ball from 25 yards out and keeper, Owen Findlater could not hold onto it.

Calderbraes kept up this impressive start and could have been two or three goals to the good. Just a minute after the restart and Kieran Pollock had a glorious opportunity after a great cross from the right was delivered perfectly for the header he couldn't divert it on target. Another chance came for Calderbraes on 10 minutes as Higgins played to Kyle Montgomery but good pressure from James Cooper in the Torphins defence denied him a clear cut chance and the keeper managed to save his effort.

Another great chance for Calderbraes came in the 11th minute as Pollock showed good skill on the ball and created space to sqaure to Gribbons who somehow put the ball past the post from close range when he looked destined to score. 

Torphins began to get more and more into the game and started to enjoy more possession of the ball and created a few chances, winning a few corners and free-kicks in dangerous areas. in the 27th minute of the game Torphins made this pressure count as they had the ball in the back of the net for the first time of the afternoon. It came after Tom Andrews put in a corner which was cleared only as far as Micauly Ewen who was then fouled outside the area on the right hand side of the box. Ewen took the resultant free-kick and what a free-kick it was, over everyone's heads in the box and over Jack Nisbet in goal into the top left corner of the net.

Calderbraes almsost regained the lead on 31 minutes as Higgins had another drive from outside the box but Findlater was back on form this time to parry and Pollock completely missed the ball on the rebound. 

Half Time: Torphins Tornados 1-1 Calderbraes BC

The second half started the complete opposite from the first as it was Torphins that got off to the greater start.  The 42nd minute of the game saw Torphins get the lead for the first time of the afternoon. It came from a clearance that Owen Griffiths did not give up on and he got to the ball before the defender and stayed calm in the area and finished well to put the home side in front. 

Torphins kept up the good pressure at the start of the second half and almost extended their lead further in the 46th minute of the game after Calderbraes James Woods cleared for a corner, which Ewen swung in dangerously and the ball broke kindly for the onrushing Kurt Grant but he put his effort just past the post. The referee made a huge call on 52 minutes as Josh Grant squared to Kurt Grant but he miscied his kick, however he didn't give up and Nisbet came out and seemed to have seized Grant down but the referee waved play on.

Moments after this crucial call Calderbraes almost had an equaliser after Montgomery won a corner and took the resultant kick that saw Callum Scott head on and Woods only needed to divert the ball on target to put the game back on level terms but he got ahead of the ball and the chance went begging.

The game had now entered its dying embers and it was the 'make or break' stage for Calderbraes who had to hunt for a vital equaliser while Torphins were on the search for a third that would really kill the game off. Calderbraes' Pollock was running in on goal and looked one-on-one with Findlater but Cooper got back with a great last ditch tackle to win the ball. 

There was time for just one final attack in this game and it was Torphins who had it. Liam Cameron found himslef in he area with the ball at his feet ready to ensure victory for the home side but Darren Devine pushed him over and gave the referee no option but to point to the spot and put all the pressure on Joel George who had the opportunity to put the game to bed. He stepped up, stayed calm and stuttered his run before putting the ball high into the roof of the net giving Nisbet no chance. 

Full Time: Torphins Tornados 3-1 Calderbraes BC


Torphins Tornados Calderbraes BC
1.   Owen Findlater
6.   Mark Smith
3.   James Cooper
10. Joel George
18. Angus Forbes
2.   Kurt Grant
7.   Tom Andrews
11. Micauley Ewen
4.   Rory Morrison
21. Owen Griffiths
12. Calvin Duffton
14. Josh Grant
16. Michael Mitchell
19. Liam Cameron
22. Innes Grant
1.   Jack Nisbet
3.   Callum Scott
5.   Darren Devine
6.   Alex Hunter
8.   Josh Higgins
10. Kyle Montogmery
11. Jamie Gribbons
12. Kieran Pollock
14. Stephen Cross
15. Jamie Summerhill
16. Jonathon Wilson
17. James Woods
19. Lewis Mitchell

James Cooper was solid at the heart of the defence throughout and made a vital last ditch challenge to keep his side in the cup. 
Josh Higgins controlled the midfield area and scored a great goal to top off what was a good performance all round.
Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 20:22
Bruce Dryburgh

Bruce Dryburgh | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments