Home My YFS
Monday, 26 November 2012 14:36

Lewis overcome stubborn Ellon to progress in cup

Written by  John Elder
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Ellon Meadows
Lewis United Youth
U17 Raymond Kelly Assoc. Cup
The Meadows
The Lewis boys travelled to Ellon for a 2nd round tie in the Raymond Kelly Association Cup. Having lost against today's oposition earlier in the season, we knew we were in for a tough and physical encounter.

The boys were boosted to have top scorer Lewis Collie back in the starting line up after a 3 game absence, and were on the front foot from the start. Lewis Collie was unlucky to see a shot go just wide, and Bryan Lovie saw an effort blocked by the Ellon defence. Shaun Elder was having another great game and his runs from the left back position and link up play with Bryan, Lewis Collie and Aaron Corkan was causing Ellon no end of problems, and it was from one such run that the boys took a deserved lead. Shaun skipped by two Ellon players before sending the ball to Bryan, who squared the ball to Lewis, who took one touch before sending the ball into the net from the edge of the box, giving the Ellon keeper, who to this point, had kept Ellon in the game with some great saves, no chance.

Lewis were playing some great football, creating chance after chance, but came up against a keeper in inspired form. On 30 minutes, the boys got a shock, as Ellon managed to equalise, despite not having a shot at goal the whole first half up till now. Dean played the ball back to Lewis Mckenzie in goal, and with options either side of him, Lewis opted to blas the ball at the onrushing Ellon forward, resulting in the ball being blocked and rolling towards the Lewis net, giving the striker the simplest of tasks to tap the ball in to the empty net.

Within 5 minutes, captain, Lewis Stephen almost gave the boys the lead again when after some great build up play, the ball was played to him by Aaron Corkan, and from fully 30 yards, Lewis fired in a rocket of a shot, which looked goal bound all the way, until the Ellon keeper managed to touch it around the post at the last second.

5 minutes later however, the same opportunity came to the same player, and the last I heard was that the ball was now being tracked by NASA and Lewis had received a bill for a cracked window on the Space Station. The boys continued to dominate though and kept pushing Ellon back, giving their defence no peace and it was incredible, given the chances we created, that the first half ended 1-1.

Half Time: Ellon Meadows 1-1 Lewis United Youth

The second half started with the boys being told by Keith that if they passed the ball, then the goals would come as Ellon were struggling to handle our movement. But when the next goal did come, it was as a result of some great individual play. Shaun had been causing Ellon problems with his running at them all day, and another run saw him go past 4 defenders and into the penalty box, where he saw his shot, blocked and cleared for a corner. The only thing missing was the finish, and it would have been a great goal, however, from the corner, Aaron Corkan floated the ball in, where it was met by Lewis Stephen, the ball was blocked, but only as far as Bryan, who saw his effort blocked also, but the Ellon clearance only went as far as Lewis Collie, who was standing 15 yards from goal, who fired the ball back where it came from, and in to the net, 2-1 Lewis.

Lewis then made 2 changes, taking off Andy and Chris, and replacing them with Mitch Smith, and Aaron Causby, and from here on, it was one way traffic as the boys totally dominated the remainder of the match, giving Ellon only one 30 yard effort to write home about. I myself, was stunned when one of our sub's approached me, big James Mcleod, and agreed that we were playing some great stuff, and we didnt deserve to be drawing, and he looked surprised when I reminded him that were actually winning, maybe pay attention next time James.

The visitors put the game beyong Ellon's reach with a third goal following some great passing. As Keith told the boys during the break, if we pass the ball, then the opposition will struggle to cope with us as we have some really quick players, and this goal proved it as Ellon were at sixes and seven's trying to keep Lewis out. The move The move involved Shaun, Cammy, Aaron, Causy and Lewis Collie, rolled the ball across the box toBryan Lovie who knocked the ball home from 10 yards to make it 3-1.

Bryan almost grabbed a second when another run from Shaun saw him slip Bryan in and his shot across goal beat the keeper but not a fantastic goal line clearance from a defender to keep the ball out. Mitch Smith had the next chance to grab a goal when during a goal mouth scramble following a corner, he fired in a shot which again, was saved by the Ellon keeper. 10 minutes from time, came the goal of the game. Lewis Collie, controlled the ball, and with a defender at his back, he sent an overhead kick directly in to the path of Aaron Causby who had the pace to out strip the Ellon left back and send in a deep cross in the box, where Bryan Lovie came in unmarked and fired in an unstoppable shot beyond the Ellon keeper to make it 4-1 and finish the scoring. 

Full Time: Ellon Meadows 1-4 Lewis United Youth

A fantastic performance, and if anything, I have to say that this match report does not do the performance justice as the boys created chance after chance during the 90 minutes. We played some great passing football and some of our movement was fantastic to watch from the sidelines. Last week we dominated a game, but couldnt find the net, but today, was different. We now have the chance to advance to the semi finals of both cup competitions, and who knows, with a bit of luck on the day, maybe a final or two.

As for man of the match, I would have given it to the Ellon keeper, who if it were not for him, then we could have ran up a cricket score, but of our own lads, every single one of them deserves praise for their performance, however three players I thought were outstanding today, Cammy Booth, yet again, controlled the middle of the park and ran the show until he went off injured, Shaun Elder won every challenge he needed to make in defence and cleared anything coming down the left back position, but it was his foray's forward that caught the eye today, and as I said, he caused Ellon no end of problems, and of course, the returning Lewis Collie, 2 great goals, set up a third and involved in the build up to the fourth, never mind running the Ellon defence a merry dance all afternoon.

It is a hard decision to make, and so for that reason, I cant make it and will leave it for Keith. Well played boys, and lets keep this form going for next week's Noskab cup tie against Formartine.
Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 20:24
Login to post comments