Home My YFS
Sunday, 07 October 2012 14:50

Westdyke edge close contest in local cup tie Featured

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Westdyke BC 
Cove BC
Donald 2 
Brown 42
Kelman 22


U15 Belmont Trophy


By Bruce Dryburgh
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @brucedryburgh

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

It was a sunny day at Lawsondale which was the venue for what proved to be a scrappy contest between Westdyke and Cove. Westdyke progressed through to the second round of the Belmont Trophy but Cove put up a real fight and gave them a close match. 

Westdyke took the advantage as early as the 2nd minute after Craig Mackie slipped through a sublime pass for Glen Donald to chase. Donald stepped inside his marker and finished emphatically into the roof of the net from 18 yards. 

Westdyke had a glorious chance to double their lead in the 13th minute as Scott McDonald was left unmarked at the back post from a corner but his header went past the post fom close range. Just 2 minutes later and McDonald came even closer to getting his name on the scoresheet. He struck a free-kick from distance that slammed off the helpless George Mitchell's crossbar.

Cove were right back on level terms after 22 minutes though as Robert Wilson threaded an inch perfect pass through to Ben Church who was unfairly taken down by Westdyke goalkeeper, Dan McAllister and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Calum Kelman stepped up to the mark and sent McAllister the wrong way to put Cove straight back into the match.

Westdyke were hungry to regain their lead quicky but Cove were doing well to prevent that happening. Donald had a free-kick tipped over the bar by Mitchell on 28 minutes and Mackie could only watch his effort go inches wide of the post. Cove were threatening when they were attacking too with a few dangerous crosses testing the Westdyke defence. Kelman launched a free-kick into the penalty area but the ball just wouldn't fall quick enough for Nicky Lynch. 

Half Time: Westdyke BC 1-1 Cove BC 

The second half started exactly the same as the first half did. Kelman converted a penalty at one end but at the other he had given one away as he seized down Haydn Burgoyne inside the penalty area after Mackie's determined run saw him cleverly pass the ball onto Burgoyne who was impeded by Kelman. Kelvin Brown stepped up to take the resultant penalty and he gave Mitchell no chnace by slotting the ball coolly into the corner of the net to regain Westdyke's advantage.

Cove didn't let their heads drop and were quickly on the hunt for another equaliser. Daniel Cooper went on a surging run down the right hand side of the pitch and put in an inviting cross but there was just too much pace on it for substitute Ritchie Lamb to get on the end of. Cove kept the pressure on Westdyke throughout the remainder of the second half and on 54 minutes Lynch played a good ball inside to Drew Canale but his effort went over McAllister's crossbar. 

Westdyke continued to pose a threat on the attack too and it was Donald and Burgoyne who linked up well to create chances. Firstly Donald put in a cross but Burgoyne's header went wide of Mitchell's post. Secondly, again Donald was the provider and again it was Burgoyne who was handed the chance but this time his shot went wide of the target. 

The 68th minute of the game saw a glorious chance fall for Lynch inside the penalty area. Lamb sent in a corner to the back post but Lynch stabbed the ball over the crossbar from 6 yards out. 

The 71st minute of the game saw Westdyke create a chance that would have secured victory and booked their place in the 2nd round of the cup. Donald won a corner and Brown produced a fine cross but Donald failed to hit the target with his header. 

The game entered its dying embers and Cove were throwing bodies up the pitch as they continued the search for an equaliser. Substitute Owen Harper played the ball across the box to Cooper but his shot was blocked by the Westdyke defence. In the final minute of the 80 Cove won a corner and the ball fell straight to Kelman's feet but his touch was poor and McAllister was on his toes to dive on the ball. 

Full Time: Westdyke BC 2-1 Cove BC

Westdyke BC Cove BC
1. Drew Henderson
2. Nathan Stewart
4. Scott McDonald
5. Aaron Ritchie
6. Christopher Evans
7. Matthew Stewart
8. Kieran McDonald
9. Kelvin Brown
10. Glen Donald
11. Aidan Fairweather
12. Blair McGilvray
14. Ally McKinlay
15. Ben Cheyne
16. Aidan Glennie
17. Craig Mackie
18. Liam Duthie
19. Haydn Burgoyne
21. Dan McAllister
1. George Mitchell
2. Drew Canale
3. Ryan Keith
4. Nicky Lynch
5. Kieran Durno
6. Cameron Smith
7. Shaun Mair
8. Ben Church
9. Daniel Cooper
10. Owen Harper
11. Robert Wilson
12. Lewis Horne
14. Kyle Bilsland
15. Ritchie Lamb
16. Calum Kelman

Glen Donald proved to cause the Cove defence hassle throughout the game and took his goal well. Also put in some great crosses to create chances for his team-mates. 
Nicky Lynch worked non stop throughout the game and played intelligent passes to teammates and was unlucky not to get a goal. 

Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 20:42
Bruce Dryburgh

Bruce Dryburgh | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments