Home My YFS
Sunday, 09 September 2012 20:02

Lewis back on track after Colony victory

Written by  John Elder
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Lewis United
Colony Park
U17's ADJFA A League
Portlethen Academy
On a beautiful hot summer day, Lewis United welcomed Colony Park to Portlethen Academy for their third league match of the season. Following last week's shock loss, Lewis were determined to get back on track, but it wouldn't be easy against last season's runners up. With last season's games between the side's providing 17 goals, another goal fest was expected.

The match kicked off in glorious sunshine and it was Lewis who were quickly on the front foot pushing Colony back. Aaron Corkan, who was playing the lone striker role tested the Colony defence with his pace and was unlucky when his attempted lob over the advancing keeper went over the bar.

Cammy was next to test the Colony defence when his shot hit the side netting. The decision to play five in the middle by Keith was working, and Colony couldn't handle the extra player in the middle of the park as Lewis were picking up nearly every loose ball. A magnificent move involving Lewis Stephen, Lewis Collie, Cammy Booth, and Aaron Corkan almost resulted in the first goal with some great inter passing but the Colony defence managed to clear.

Slowly though, Colony came back into the game and started to threaten and it took a good save from Lewis McKenzie to stop Colony from taking the lead. Colony started to step up a gear and a last ditch challenge by Lewis Stephen prevented the Colony striker getting a shot on goal.

Finally a goal did arrive and a deserved one it was too. After some more pressure being put on the Colony defence, they could only partially clear, and a needless foul was committed on Cammy on the touchline. Mitch Smith fired the free kick in, and as everyone went for the ball, the Colony keeper was caught in two minds, and the ball went straight in. 1-0 Lewis.

There were calls for the free kick to have been re taken as it looked like it might have been indirect, but Lewis have had so few breaks over the years, when you finally get one, you grab it with both hands.

Five minutes later the Lewis boys went 2-0 up when a pass from Lewis Stephen, found Lewis Collie, who slipped past 3 Colony defenders and from the left side of the penalty area, poked the ball home beyond the Colony keeper. Colony though didn't finish runners up last season for nothing and they came storming back into the game.

Three corners were to be defended, two were, the third wasn't. Lewis McKenzie, punched the ball clear, but the boys were slow to close the ball down, but to be fair to the Colony midfielder, he fired in an incredible shot with the outside of his boot to cut the deficit. 2-1. Colony pushed for the equaliser and it took some great defending from Lewis Stephen and Dean Barnes in the middle of defence to keep them out, and some great challenges from Shaun Elder at left back, one of which led to a third Lewis goal.

As Colony pushed for the equaliser, the right winger tried once again unsuccessfully to get past Shaun, who put in another great tackle to win the ball. Shaun listened and could see the run Aaron Corkan was making and sent a delightful ball over the top, beyond the Colony defence and right into Aaron's path. Aaron lobbed the ball over the keeper and sent the ball goal ward, but it looked like the defender was going to clear, but then, for some unknown reason, he got his legs mixed up, and the ball bounced into the net, right on the half time whistle too. 3-1 Lewis.

Half time: Lewis United 3-1 Colony Park

The second half kicked off, and the Sun wasn't doing either side any favours as it seemed to be getting hotter. Colony came out the traps flying and were looking for that early goal to get them back into the match. But every time they came a knocking, the Lewis defence would turn them away. Time after time, Lewis Stephen, and Dean Barnes would head the ball clear, or Shaun would stop an attack with a block or a tackle.

On the right hand side, Fraser Barclay, who was making his debut was coping well and being well marshalled by his defensive team mates, and when he did get too far forward, he was swiftly told to get back. Colony were unlucky not to get a second goal 65 minutes when a great turn and shot by their striker came crashing back off the crossbar, and just a few minutes later, their striker missed a glaring opportunity when he had a free header, but somehow glanced the ball wide.

Lewis though, after weathering the Colony storm, started dictating play a bit more and were very unlucky to have a great passing move that finished with the ball in the net, disallowed for offside when a Colony full back was playing everyone onside. The boys were playing some good stuff but tired legs were starting to show, so changes had to be made. Andy was replaced by Aaron Causby and it didn't take our own Little Lord Farquaad long to get into the game as his dribbling and pace started to cause problems. Lewis Collie was replaced by Jack Stewart and Mitch Smith by James McLeod.

The fresh legs seemed to help relieve the pressure as Colony's attacks became less frequent and the game became more even and if anything, there was more chances coming at the other end. A great chance to finish the game came when James was sent through but with 2 targets in the box to pick out, Big Elvis couldn't wrap his foot round the ball and the danger was over for Colony.

One down side of the game came when as Lewis Stephen jockeyed a Colony player in the penalty area, the player threw himself to the ground, as if a sniper had shot him and claimed for a penalty, but luckily for Lewis the referee was keeping up with play and booked the Colony player for diving.

With 5 minutes to go, Colony were awarded a free kick. The Colony player curled a beautiful shot around the wall and it was heading into the bottom corner off the net, only for Lewis McKenzie to turn it around the post; an absolutely stunning save. With one minute left though, controversy occurred. Another Colony free kick, this time a bit farther out. It was played into the box, but Lewis Stephen, once again, got his head to it, though this time, not cleanly and the ball went goal wards, towards the inrushing four Colony players. The ball though was going out for a corner until a Colony player, raised his hand, pulled the ball down, and fired the ball into the net. A free kick to Lewis and a yellow card, but no, the referee awards the goal, incredible.

With the game going into injury time, the boys were now hanging on to a game they had wrapped up. Colony launched one last attack, and if the great Alex Ferguson was watching, then it really would have been Squeaky Bum time. The ball was played in, but once again, the rock that was the Lewis defence, cleared the ball to Cammy, who went on a run, all the way to the edge of the Colony box, and took a tackle to win a corner, but enough was enough and the referee blew for time.

Full time: Lewis United 3- 2 Colony Park

It was a great game of football to watch from both teams. Not as many goals as there were last season (6-4 and 5-2) but magnificent to watch, which probably explains the amount of spectators at the sidelines. Every single player deserves credit today, Lewis Stephen and Dean Barnes in centre defence were superb, Shaun at Left Back, brilliant, Cammy, Mitch, Lewis Collie in the middle, Scott and Andy and Fraser on the right, Lewis in goal, you all deserve credit, even the subs who came on, but for me, Aaron Corkan was man of the match. He played up front on his own the whole game, he held the ball up for us, allowed the midfield to get up to him, his pace caused them problems all afternoon, a fantastic performance from Aaron.
Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 21:27
Login to post comments