Home My YFS

Banks O'Dee Albion win competitive clash to seal ADJFA U17's A Title against Lewis United Rangers.

Banks O'Dee Albion 2

Ness 13, Ingram 15,

Lewis United Rangers 1

Youngson 25,
  • Tuesday, 30 April 2019
  • Spain Park, Aberdeen
  • Under 17´s
  • ADJFA Under 17's League A

Spain Park played host to what has ultimately become the most important game in the ADJFA Under 17’s A league season. In the final game of the campaign, Banks O’Dee Albion went in three points ahead of their opponents – whatever they did, they’d either be champions, or be within a shot of becoming champions come full-time.

Lewis United Rangers on-the-other-hand knew they had to win. A win still wouldn’t be enough to crown them champions, but in a league that does not utilise goal difference, a win would draw the two sides level on points – forcing a play-off.

The game started off fairly evenly, but Albion were looking to take control centrally, which was helping to provide them with the majority of possession.

It would be Albion who took the lead, just after the ten minute mark. A cleared corner fell to Finlay Ness wide right, the number nine shaped to cross and his strong ball in drifted over the goalkeeper, smashing off the post before dropping into the net.

United seemed to be invigorated by the act of conceding and also replied instantly, a long ball forward from the kick off fell to Jay Halliday. Halliday calmly side footed the ball from the centre of the box, only to see it crash agonisingly off of the underside of the crossbar, before bouncing clear.

If United weren’t kicking themselves before, they would be just minutes later as Albion doubled their lead. The home sides forward line were linking up well with one touch passing and a slick move shifted the ball out wide left to Harry Ingram, with the striker cutting inside to curl a shot past the Lewis goalkeeper.

The pressure continued to build on United, with Albion looking to put the game to bed, with the away side beginning to look a bit snowed under – however, they managed to weather the storm, and began to find their way back into the game.

With 25 minutes on the clock, United brought the game back to life. They’d begun to mount more forward movements and following a secondary ball from a corner, Demilade Yunus – who’d won the corner following a strong run, nodded the ball back across the face of goal for Lewis Youngson to touch the ball in right on the line.

A few minutes later it was almost level, United kept the pressure on and another corner caused issues with a scuffed clearance at the front post almost finding its way into the net for an own goal – but instead drifted back towards the opposite side of the pitch.

Albion began to take some more control back towards half-time, but they could not regain their two goal lead before the half-time whistle, which lined up a second half where everything was very much still on the line.

  • Half Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion
  • 2-1
  • Lewis United Rangers

The visitors started the half looking more impressive, controlling possession and might have had an equaliser as Josh Allen Petrie chased down a weak back pass, only to have Albion goalkeeper Lucas Muller cannon the ball off of him and out for a throw in. Quickly followed by Daniel Middler almost capitalising on a long ball through from his own goalkeeper, but his header spun wide of the post.

Albion were for the most part relaying on counter attacks, with the onus on United as they chased the game – the home sides quick passing helped them on the counter, but too often a final pass was lacking.

While enjoying dominance, United, who needed not just one but two goals to keep their title aspirations alive, they weren’t enjoying much else, with clear-cut chances hard to come by.

The visitors began to get frustrated with the lack of shooting chances, Left-back Rhys Thomas cut into on his right foot to hit a shot from distance, which brought about a save from Muller, but was not enough to seriously trouble him.

With ten minutes remaining, Albion came close to putting the game to bed. Another break away allowed Jack Lappin and Michael Mitchell combined well as they raced the length of the pitch. Lappin got round the goalkeeper after the ball ricocheted between them, forcing Lappin too wide to be able to shoot, he squared to Mitchell, but the striker knocked the ball over the bar.

The burst of goals in the first-half was to be the only scoring of the game, the last five minutes ran away quietly as Banks O’Dee Albion saw out the win and with it, the league title.

A fiercely competitive game, with it clear to see why both sides were competing for the title, and on another day, United might have had a Championship Play-off to look forward to.

  • Full Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion
  • 2-1
  • Lewis United Rangers


Banks O'Dee Albion
Lewis United Rangers
1.Lucas Muller
2. Adam Duffy
3. Calum Brown
4. Jack MacLennan
6. Jack Lappin
7. Callan Gray
8. Caie McDonald
9. Finlay Ness
11. Reece McKerron
15. Harry Ingram
16. Tristyn Clark
17. Kacper Lewecki
18. Taylor Still
20. Michael Mitchell
22. Greg Smith
2. James Gordon Gomes
4. Josh Allan Petrie
5. Blair McGinigal
6. Dylan Cumming
8. Arthur Morgan
9. Daniel Middler
10. Owen Silvers
11. Orin Collin
12. Demilade Yunus
14. Fergus Carnie
15. Cameron Maxwell
16. Rhys Thomas
17. Lewis Youngson
18. Jay Halliday
Star Player
Banks O'Dee Albion
Lewis United Rangers
It was a true team performance for Albion as they secured the title, so it's not easy to pick one player - however, Harry Ingram got what turned out to be the all important goal, so he takes home star player.
Most of what was good for United came through number 18 Jay Halliday, and he was very unlucky not to score when his shot crashed off of the cross-bar.
Magic Moment
Banks O'Dee Albion
Lewis United Rangers
The second goal from Ingram was a fantastic finish and deserves to be named the magic moment.
The goal for United was well worked and showed some of what they do best.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments