Home My YFS

Comeback champions Lewis United defeat Banks O'Dee Albion in cup final

Lewis United 3

Collin 54, 92, Gordon-Gomes 71

Banks O'Dee Albion 2

Duffy 18, Clark 43
  • 3-2 (AET)
  • Sunday, 20 May 2018
  • Colony Park
  • Under 16´s
  • U16s Castle Trophies Cup

Lewis United made a spectacular comeback against all odds in order to be crowned champions of the U16s Castle Trophy Cup against Banks O’Dee Albion at Colony Park after extra time. The game looked even on paper beforehand, however there was some last minute drama prior to kick off as Lewis’ first choice keeper Balint Demus was ill and had to be replaced in goals by outfield player Cameron Carnie.

The game started off with a quick tempo, with Lewis having the first of the opportunities. A header won by Orin Collin was played down to the feet of Joy Banda who managed to latch onto the ball. He took a quick shot that forced a good save from Albion’s Thomas Mackie, low down towards the corner of the goal.

Albion responded by forcing an equally impressive save out of Carnie, who dived to his left to push Calum Brown’s angled shot round the post and out for a corner.

It was Albion who were to open the scoring. Callan Gray’s free kick from outside the box was swung in, forcing Carnie to come out and collect it. However, the makeshift goalkeeper was unlucky to fumble the ball to Adam Duffy who showed great composure as he tapped the ball into the empty net.

Going down in such an unfortunate manner did not deter Lewis, however. An attempt from Blair McGinigal took a big deflection off of an Albion defender.  It may have led to a goal if it was not for another quick reaction save from Mackie who turned it round the post.

As the referee blew for half time, Albion seemed to have had a slight edge during proceedings. However, Lewis had played with a determination which meant that it was impossible to write them off just yet.

  • Half Time:
  • Lewis United
  • 0-1
  • Banks O'Dee Albion

As the second half kicked off, however, the game looked as though it was clearly heading Albion’s way as they doubled their lead. Neatly skipping past the Lewis defence’s offside trap, Tristyn Clark found himself one on one with Carnie. He provided an excellent finish, curling the ball to the keeper’s upper left hand corner where there was no chance of it being saved.

Lewis made some changes to their line-up in order to try and turn the game in their favour and were rewarded with a goal. Substitute Josh Allan Petrie flicked the ball over the defence to Collin who was then through on goal. Taking a shot on the turn, he powered the ball low into the bottom corner, putting his team back in the game.

Spurred on by their goal, Lewis came into the ascendancy as they nearly found a second soon after. A shot from Daniel Middler looked to be from too tight an angle but forced another good save from Mackie high up to his right in order to keep Albion ahead.

Albion had no desire to let this lead slip any further, however, and tried their best to increase the deficit, forcing a number of good saves from Carnie. A shot from close range by Harry Ingram was met by an initial save low down by the Lewis keeper. The ball then fell to Finlay Ness whose attempt Carnie threw himself in front of in order to keep the dream of a comeback alive.

That dream was soon realised as Lewis scored a somewhat fortunate goal. Similar to Albion’s first goal, James Gordon Gomes took a long free kick from just inside the Albion half, kicking the ball right towards Mackie. Mackie was then unfortunate to fumble the high ball, making unsolid contact as it fell into the back of the net and opened up the prospect of extra time.

It was almost not needed however, as Lewis came close to going in front in the game’s dying minutes. A cross from Connon Kennedy went long to the back post where Middler was waiting. He struck the ball well on the volley but got under it too much, sending the ball over and the game to extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Lewis United
  • 2-2
  • Banks O'Dee Albion
As they finished their team talks and the whistle blew to start extra time, both teams were fired up as they looked for the crucial goal which could win them the cup.

Once again, Carnie found himself making a number of saves to keep his team’s chances alive. First came another double save, with attempts by Clark and then Joseph Adair both being saved directly one after another. Only minutes later he was called into action once again as he got down low to turn a shot from Ness round the post and out of danger.

As the game moved into the second half of extra time, Lewis did what at one point seemed unthinkable and moved into the lead. A fantastic piece of footwork from Banda opened up space on the touchline for him to play the ball across to Collin whose initial effort was saved by Mackie. However, Collin was quicker to respond, latching onto the rebound and rifling the ball into the net in order to complete his team’s comeback.

However, Albion refused to lie down right until the end, forcing some fine defensive work out of Lewis. Ness got into a good position inside the Lewis penalty area, forcing Carnie to make a save with his feet. Ness regained possession however and may have scored if it was not for a brilliant last ditch sliding tackle by Gordon Gomes which saw the ball out of play and secured his team’s victory.

In the end, it was a fairy tale cup win for Lewis United. Without a goalkeeper from before kick-off and two goals down early on in the second half, it looked like Banks O’Dee Albion had done enough to win the final, generally looking composed and relaxed in possession. However a desire to win and the tenacity to fight for every single ball fuelled a remarkable comeback for Lewis which will no doubt be remembered long into the future.

Congratulations to cup champions Lewis United and many thanks to both teams for a remarkable and highly entertaining game of football.

Final Result: 3-2 (AET)


Lewis United
Banks O'Dee Albion
2. James Gordon-Gomes
3. Joseph Hartley
4. Josh Allan Petrie
5. Blair McGinigal
6. Connon Kennedy
7. Cole Williamson
8. Samuel Wark
9. Daniel Middler
10. Lewis Youngson
11. Orin Collin
12. Demilade Yunus
13. Joy Banda
15. Cameron Maxwell
19. Cameron Carnie
1. Thomas Mackie
2. Adam Duffy
3. Calum Brown
4. Jack MacLennan
5. Joseph Adair
6. Jack Lappin
7. Callan Gray
8. Caie McDonald
9. Harry Ingram
10. Dylan Stuart
11. Reece McKerron
12. Harry Walker
15. Finlay Ness
16. Tristyn Clark
19. Joe Sutherland
20. Adam Harper
Star Player
Lewis United
Banks O'Dee Albion
Star Player for Lewis United was Cameron Carnie. Although there were many Lewis players who put in fantastic performances which helped them to win the game, the role played by Carnie was something truly remarkable. Playing in a position which was entirely unfamiliar to him, there were points when he made saves that would be impressive for a full time keeper. His experience as an outfield player brought an intriguing quality to his goalkeeping, often quick of his line and never afraid to get stuck into the opposition, helping him to keep his team in the game on numerous occasions with some fine saves.
Star Player for Banks O’Dee Albion was Tristyn Clark. His attacking presence posed a constant threat as he often managed to work himself into dangerous positions. He showed great skill and composure with his goal which was of the highest calibre.
Magic Moment
Lewis United
Banks O'Dee Albion
Magic Moment for Lewis United was Orin Collin’s cup winning goal. His second of the match, this goal clearly meant a lot to all associated with the team. Set up by some wonderful dribbling by Joy Banda, Collin made sure the ball hit the back of the net, with the celebrations on the park being matched by those of the fans off it.
Magic Moment for Banks O’Dee was their second goal. A fantastic finish by Tristyn Clark, this goal really put them in the driving seat and at one point looked like it would be enough to win them the cup.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments