Home My YFS

Portlethen edge Glentanar in nine goal thriller

Glentanar CFC 4

Whyte 23, Thomson 29, Bloice 34, Smith 43

Portlethen SC 5

Jam 15, 18, 69, Pirie 35, Clark 55
  • Sunday, 02 April 2017
  • Woodside Sports Complex
  • Under 13´s
  • Competition name here

Claire Gulline | YFS Aberdeen Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Glentanar CFC and Portlethen SC met on a sunny morning to face off in what proved to be a competitive encounter, with Portlethen securing a 5-4 win with a last minute goal. Antonio Jam scored a hat trick for the visitors with Jackson Pirie and Harvey Clark also adding their names to the score sheet, while Glentanar’s goals were scored by Kayden Whyte, Josh Thomson, Nathan Bloice and Ciaran Smith.

The home side had an early chance to open the scoring as Nathan Bloice pressed down the wing. He passed the ball to Kyle Fraser who drove the ball into the box but Liam Tough swept in in defence and cleared the danger.

Portlethen had their first chance from a corner. Lewis Brougham sent the ball to the edge of the box but Glentanar held their defence. Ryan Bruce then shot from twenty-five yards but fired the ball just wide.

Glentanar looked for an opening and Fraser broke down the wing and drove towards the box but Nicholas Critchard swept in in defence to clear.

The visitors exerted pressure through Antonio Jam who penetrated the defence but was unable to link with Brougham and Jackson Pirie to create a goal-scoring chance. However Jam made another break and lured Glentanar goalkeeper, Robert Mitchell, out from the goal. Brougham shot from twenty-five yards but sent the ball just wide.

Jam continued to frustrate Glentanar’s defence and lured Mitchell out again, lobbing him from twenty-five yards and sending the ball into the back of the net to open the scoring in the fifteenth minute.

Portlethen took heart from their score and Bruce sent the ball into the box but Mitchell pushed the ball wide, only for Jam to run on and send it in from close range to extend his side’s lead in the eighteenth minute.

Glentanar were looking for a response, and were awarded a free kick at thirty-five yards. Jan Polanski sent the ball just too far for Bloice to get his head to the ball.

However Glentanar were soon awarded another free kick in almost the same spot. Kayden Whyte sent the ball over the defensive wall and goalkeeper Ryan Tocher, to narrow the gap in the twenty-third minute.


The home side pressed forward through Whyte but Critchard put the ball into touch. Bloice stepped up to take the resulting corner and crossed the ball into the box but Whyte headed it just over the crossbar.


Glentanar were still looking for chances and were awarded a free kick at forty yards. Polanski sent the ball over the defensive wall but it was pushed wide by Tocher. Bloice crossed the ball from the corner into the box and Josh Thomson sent it into the net from inside the box to draw the score level in the twenty-ninth minute.


Whyte looked for a chance to add his name to the score sheet and raced down the wing with Tough chasing. However Whyte fired his shot from twenty yards into the side of the net.


It looked as though the home side would have the final say of the half as Bloice sent the ball high into the net from ten yards out in the thirty-fourth minute to give the home side the lead for the first time.


However Portlethen were quick to find a response, as Jam turned on the ball and passed it to Pirie who shot from fifteen yards and sent the ball straight past Mitchell in the thirty-fifth minute to draw the score level once more.


Half-time: Glentanar CFC 3-3 Portlethen SC.


  • Half Time:
  • Glentanar CFC
  • 3-3
  • Portlethen SC

The second half got underway and Pirie shot from twenty-two yards and to the left but Mitchell smothered the ball.The home side were soon on the attack and Ciaran Smith broke down the wing and crossed the ball to the edge of the box for Ross Simpson but he fired it just over the crossbar.

However Glentanar continued to exert pressure and Smith shot from the edge of the box, sending it past the defenders and goalkeeper to reclaim his side’s lead in the forty-third minute.

Portlethen were soon on the attack again through Jam and Pirie. Pirie shot from twenty-five yards but sent the ball wide.

The visitors continued to create chances and Pirie put the ball out wide for Harvey Clark who shot from twenty yards and wide to the left. He sent the ball past Mitchell and into the back of the net to level things once again on the fifty-fifth minute.

Glentanar pressed again and Polanski shot from the edge of the box but fired the ball over the crossbar. 

Jam showed his pace once again and put the ball through for Ewan Gordon who drove to the box but Mitchell swept in to clear. However the ball was still there for Dean Donaldson but Danny Webster cleared the ball before Donaldson could make his shot.

End to end play ensued with both teams looking for a goal. Jam made another powerful run for the visitors, turning the ball before he sent it past Mitchell from twenty yards in the sixty-ninth minute to put his side into the lead.

With time against them, Glentanar pressed forward. Smith and Simpson linked and Simpson drove into the box but Pirie cleared before he could make his shot.

  • Full Time:
  • Glentanar CFC
  • 4-5
  • Portlethen SC


Glentanar CFC
Portlethen SC
2. Jan Polanski
3. Alexander Innes
4. Aidan Richardson
5. Cooper Smith
7. Danny Webster
9. Kieran Hurley
10. Nathan Bloice
11. Josh Thomson
12. Ross Simpson
14. Ciaran Smith
15. Kayden Whyte
16. Kyle Fraser
17. Ibrahim Tariq
23. Robert Mitchell
2. Ewan Gordon
4. Dean Donaldson
6. Ryan Bruce
7. Nicholas Critchard
8. Lewis Brougham
9. Antonio Jam
10. Jackson Pirie
11. Harvey Clark
13. Ryan Tocher
16. Liam Tough
18. Morgan Smith
19. Mason Grant
Star Player
Glentanar CFC
Portlethen SC
Danny Webster looked strong in defence and denied Portlethen a number of chances, while Ciaran Smith had a great second half, making several breaks and challenging Portlethen's defence.
Antonio Jam showed great pace and footwork throughout the match, claiming his hat trick and creating many chances.
Magic Moment
Glentanar CFC
Portlethen SC
Glentanar's first goal came from a free kick. Kayden Whyte got a great strike on the ball to send it over the defensive wall and the goalkeeper to put his side on the score sheet, and the score lifted the whole team.
Portlethen's last goal showed some impressive skill from Antonio Jam as he turned the ball before firing it into the net to secure the win for his team in what was an extremely competitive game.
Club Views
Glentanar CFC
Portlethen SC
I spoke with Alan Bloice, head coach of Glentanar CFC, who said, "I was proud of the performance today. I think the boys can take a lot away from the game. They showed great camaraderie, great teamwork and they played a good level of football and created plenty of chances from that. We would have liked something out of the game as a minimum but we didn't take our chances in front of goal." On their aims for the rest of the season, he said, "We're sitting in seventh place after today. Our target this year was to finish in the top half but with three games left, we will be aiming for sixth place. Now we're looking forward to next season, bringing in some new players and adding to the squad. Our guys have got a great attitude and that will stand us in good stead for next season."
I spoke to Neil Gordon, one of the officials at Portlethen SC, who said, "I thought it was a really good performance from both teams. It was a close game and it's a shame that any team has to lose that." On their aims for the rest of the season, he said, "We're hoping for promotion to the A league. We're sitting in fourth position but we've got a lot of games in hand so hopefully we can push on."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments