Home My YFS

Banks O'Dee Albion boost league title hopes

Lewis United Youth 0

Banks O'Dee Albion 4

B Ross 6, 69, Pirie 64, Reid 65
  • Thursday, 14 April 2016
  • Uniconn Park
  • Under 16´s
  • ADJFA League A

Claire Gulline | YFS Aberdeen Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

After meeting five days previously in the Castle Trophies Cup semi-final, Lewis United Youth and Banks O’Dee Albion faced each other once more, this time in a league fixture at Uniconn Park. Banks O’Dee claimed the three points with a 4-0 win, their goals scored by Mark Reid, Greg Pirie and two by Ben Ross.

The visitors showed their intent from the kick-off as Connor Wood found himself in space. He shot from 15 yards, and wide to the left, but Lewis United goalkeeper, Euan Morrion, smothered the ball.

Banks O’Dee kept the pressure on, with Lewis having to put the ball out of play to hold their defence. This resulted in a corner which saw Cameron Ross cross the ball into the box but Ben Ross headed it just wide.

Lewis United had their first chance when Gregor Thom drove forward, and met the challenge well, before passing the ball out to Aaron Leslie. He put the ball through for Jay Leiper, who shot from inside the box but the ball was pushed wide by Banks O’Dee goalkeeper, Vitali Sahhalevtis.

The visitors responded with Ben Ross curving the ball into the box for Reid to head the ball but Morrion pushed it wide. Reid followed up with a shot from close range but fired it just wide. However Albion’s efforts were not in vain, and Ben Ross curved the ball straight into the back of the net from 30 yards in the sixth minute to open the scoring.

Soon after, Lewis were awarded a free kick just inside their own half. Cameron Cook sent the ball into the box where it was headed out for a corner by Cameron Imrie. Leslie took the ensuing corner and crossed the ball into the box where it was caught by Sahhalevtis.

Banks O’Dee set up an interchanging play through Joseph Bisset and Shaun Cameron but Lewis United held their defence well to deny any chances.

Leiper linked up with Mitchel Foy to press forward but Foy’s shot from the edge of the box went just wide. As Lewis continued to press, the referee awarded a free kick to Banks O’Dee and Kyle Smith's disagreement earned him a red card, leaving the home side to play with just 10 men from the 16th minute.

Lewis kept their heads up and drove forward with a series of passes. David Edwards shot from 25 yards but it was just wide, and Leslie’s follow up was caught by Sahhalevtis.

Banks O’Dee drove play back to the other end and Calum McKenzie laid the ball back for Shaun Cameron. He shot from the edge of the box but it was pushed wide and then smothered by Morrion.

Foy put the ball out wide for Leslie but he was unable to get a clear shot with Jason Ritchie exerting pressure in defence.

The visitors pressed back and Ben Ross shot from 30 yards, once more, but Morrion had time to read the play. McKenzie headed the ball out wide for Cameron who laid the ball back for Ritchie but Lewis held their defence to deny the chance.

Banks O’Dee exchanged a series of passes to push up and Ross broke through the defence but was brought down. Imrie stepped up to take the free kick at 25 yards but it was caught by Morrion.

  • Half Time:
  • Lewis United Youth
  • 0-1
  • Banks O'Dee Albion

Lewis pressed early in the second half, and Foy put the ball through for Leiper, but Imrie looked sharp in defence to deny the chance that the home side had created.

The visitors pressed forward through McKenzie who weaved through the defence but fired his shot from the edge of the box over the crossbar.

Foy drove the ball forward but was challenged by Calum Beattie, who managed to send the ball out wide to McKenzie. He broke and sent the ball into the box for Ben Ross whose shot was pushed wide by Morrion and cleared by Calum Mitchel.

The home side looked determined and Mitchel put a great ball through for Leiper who pressed forward and shot from 20 yards but Sahhalevtis caught the ball to deny the chance. Soon after, Foy made another break, racing almost the length of the pitch and shooting from 10 yards but it was also caught by Sahhalevtis.

Imrie put a great ball through for Reid but as he drove down the wing, Cook swept in to clear and deny the chance.

Lewis were awarded a free kick 10 yards into their own half. Cook sent the ball into the box where Gregor Thom flicked it just wide.

Banks O’Dee pressed once more and Ben Ross shot from 25 yards. The ball rebounded off the crossbar and Greg Pirie followed up to slip it into the net in the 64th minute.

Straight from the restart, Pirie drove towards the goal once more and shot from the edge of the box but it was pushed wide by Morrion. However Reid followed up to knock it in from close range in the 65th minute.

The home side continued to look for openings. Duncan held the ball well on the edge of the box and looked for the offload as Banks O’Dee pressed in defence but Andrew Wood forced the ball out to deny Lewis their chance.

In the 69th minute, Ben Ross curved the ball in from 30 yards, and out of the reach of Morrion, to increase his side’s lead and claim his second goal of the night.

Mitchel put another great ball through for Leiper who drove into the box but Lewis Duffy blocked his shot and cleared.

Though Lewis continued to look for chances, Banks O’Dee held their defence and challenged every ball to make the task more difficult. James Robson held the ball well and tried to press forward but could not make the offload to mount one last attack.

  • Full Time:
  • Lewis United Youth
  • 0-4
  • Banks O'Dee Albion


Lewis United Youth
Banks O'Dee Albion
1. Euan Morrion
2. Logan Johnstone
3. Brian Mair
4. Jay Leiper
5. James Robson
6. Gregor Thom
7. Kyle Smith
8. Cameron Cook
9. Adam Smith
10. Aaron Leslie
11. Liam Duncan
15. Calum Mitchel
17. Alex Kelly
19. Mitchel Foy
20. David Edwards
21. Calum MacDonald
1. Vitali Sahhalevtis
2. Jason Ritchie
3. Calum Beattie
4. Ben Ross
5. Andrew Wood
6. Alasdair Shrive
8. Joseph Bisset
9. Mark Reid
10. Calum McKenzie
11. Shaun Cameron
12. Cameron Imrie
14. Lewis Duffy
15. Greg Pirie
16. Cameron Ross
17. Connor Wood
Star Player
Lewis United Youth
Banks O'Dee Albion
James Robson - Put in a strong defensive performance to try and close down Albion's chances. He also looked for opportunities to put the ball into space for his teammates in trying to create chances of their own.
Cameron Imrie - Led his side extremely well. He helped to create a number of chances throughout the game and kept the pressure on Lewis United.
Magic Moment
Lewis United Youth
Banks O'Dee Albion
Mitchel Foy's break in the second half showed his impressive pace. He outran Banks O'Dee's defence but just couldn't slip the ball past Sahhalevtis. However, he showed how dangerous he could be in attack.
Banks O'Dee's second half goals all came in very quick succession and showed the intent of the team. Ben Ross' second goal in particular was a fantastic shot and there was nothing Lewis could do to prevent it.
Club Views
Lewis United Youth
Banks O'Dee Albion
Alan Cook, club secretary at Lewis United, said: "[Banks O'Dee Albion] deserved to win- they're league champions! They played the better football on the day, and best of luck to them in the Scottish Cup Final."
Ben Ross, midfielder for Banks O'Dee Albion, said: "It was a good team performance and we were strong throughout the whole game. I think we deserved to keep a clean sheet as well." With the team at the top of the league and with the Scottish Cup, as well as some of the local cups, to play for, Ross revealed what the team were focusing on: "The main one has got to be the Scottish Cup. The league is just a couple of points now and the two cups, we'll just take game by game and then hopefully we can win everything!"
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments